British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Mobile phones(again!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/mobile-phones-again-396687/)

twowheeler Sep 15th 2006 1:30 pm

Mobile phones(again!)

Hi
Sorry if this question has been asked before but is there a Spanish mobile company who offer a pay as you go sim card that is not time limited? ie you usually buy credit but it has to be used within a set time limit. I'm looking for a sim card where I can put credit on the phone and any unused credit will still be on the phone next time I visit even if that's in 6 months time.

Thanks

jdr Sep 15th 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Mobile phones(again!)

My Moviestar has a limit, but my Vodafone has no limit.
Also first min 50 cents next 59 free, so 50 cents an hour calls ;)

Nige Sep 15th 2006 1:48 pm

Am not sure if any of the Spanish Mobile PAYG have unlimited time use, but in my experience, probably not. I use my Spanish Bank online to make Top Ups that extend the period from time to time if the SIM is not in use for a few months. Obviously you need to have a bank that has this online service. I use BBVA. Am sure that there are other methods available through the Mobile Company website. But this probably doesn't answer your question !

YMF Sep 15th 2006 2:09 pm

I was sent a message by Vodafone just yesterday saying that I could not use my phone even though it had 12€ credit on it, unless I topped it up.
It is a PAYG, it apparently must be topped up every 9 months, I topped it up online and it now works fine.

I think the answer is to put very little credit on and just keep topping up via online bank, the minimum seems to be 10€

Yvonne

jdr Sep 15th 2006 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by YMF
I was sent a message by Vodafone just yesterday saying that I could not use my phone even though it had 12€ credit on it, unless I topped it up.
It is a PAYG, it apparently must be topped up every 9 months, I topped it up online and it now works fine.

I think the answer is to put very little credit on and just keep topping up via online bank, the minimum seems to be 10€

Yvonne

Perhaps they have picked up that nasty habit from the other Spanish companies.
I always top up within 9 months anyway so have never noticed it.

Unexpat Sep 19th 2006 7:54 am

Originally Posted by jdr
Perhaps they have picked up that nasty habit from the other Spanish companies.
I always top up within 9 months anyway so have never noticed it.

Vodafone have been applying the 9 month limit for at least the last seven years. I'm sure they made it all up by themselves; ;) or possibly it was in colusion with the rest of these rip-off mobile merchants :(

Skype text for the win, or Skype to mobile works very well too. I'm happy to use their services and save some money - may give these fat cats some competition, although Skye credits also expire after 6 to 12 months (can't recall which). Not quite mobile, but just thought I'd mention it.

Beachcomber Sep 19th 2006 11:56 am

Skype credit doesn't expire but you have you use it at least once every six months in order not to lose it.

bick40 Sep 19th 2006 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by YMF

Yvonne

I have tried a few times to top up online using my Spanish Visa debit card but always get this rejection message. Any ideas how to get round this?

"Vodafone te informa: Por tu seguridad, antes de recargar con tu tarjeta bancaria, debes realizar una primera recarga en la red de cajeros 4B (sin comisión)."

Unexpat Sep 19th 2006 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by bick40
I have tried a few times to top up online using my Spanish Visa debit card but always get this rejection message. Any ideas how to get round this?

"Vodafone te informa: Por tu seguridad, antes de recargar con tu tarjeta bancaria, debes realizar una primera recarga en la red de cajeros 4B (sin comisión)."

Use the 4B servicetill to top up at least once, like it says?

bick40 Sep 19th 2006 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=Unexpat]Use the 4B servicetill to top up at least once, like it says?

I've topped up in a shop and with a prepaid card but have no idea what a 4B servicetill is. Can you enlighten me please?

Unexpat Sep 19th 2006 4:35 pm

[QUOTE=bick40]

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Use the 4B servicetill to top up at least once, like it says?

I've topped up in a shop and with a prepaid card but have no idea what a 4B servicetill is. Can you enlighten me please?

It's the Telebanco 4B network of servicetills. Around one in four servicetills will be a 4B till. Look for the large Telebanco logo at the top of the till which also has a stylised $ sign preceding the Telebanco name.