Mobile Phones

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future
Default Mobile Phones

Found this post on another site where it had no response.

I think I am right in this:::If you put a spanish sim card in a UK phone and make a local spanish call you are charged for a euro/int call same as if you put a british sim card in a spanish phone it is treated as a euro/int. call (I'm sure someone out there will soon say whether this is right or wrong) just be aware of this.
Interested in all replies as I have done the above and although I am a light:user find the calls quite expensive.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones

Originally Posted by sonnyc

I think I am right in this:::If you put a spanish sim card in a UK phone and make a local spanish call you are charged for a euro/int call same as if you put a british sim card in a spanish phone it is treated as a euro/int. call (I'm sure someone out there will soon say whether this is right or wrong) just be aware of this.
Interested in all replies as I have done the above and although I am a light:user find the calls quite expensive.
I don't see how that works I have an Eroski PAYG Sim in an old UK phone for when I am over in Spain and get charged the normal rates. Like you I use the phone infrequently. Surely it's the sim card not the phone that sets the rate.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:33 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

its call roming Spanish sim card in Uk phone while in the uk to make loacl spanish call you going charged roming ....... o that going to hit the top up

when uk only used you phone to reciver TEXTS

Spanish Financial News by Jurdy read good news

Big cuts in mobile costs home and away in Eu Zone

A price war between Movistar and Vodefone has broken out in mobile phone charges in Spain . Telefónica’s Movistar announced a new simple nine cent per minute rate and now Vodafone has answered with a new ‘tarifa plana’ . The new plan is to be launched on May 4 and will allow calls of upto 90 minutes duration where only the first minute is paid for at 19,9 cents plus IVA . Meanwhile one of the new virtual operators , MásMóvil, has said they will pay the difference if any of their clients find a cheaper deal . They currently offer calls at 8 cents per minute . All companies charge a 15cent call establishing fee . The European Parliament has approved measures which will drastically cut the cost of using mobile phones while travelling within the 27 EU member states from July . From July 1 mobile operators will be able to charge a maximum of 43 cent per minute (excluding IVA) for outgoing phone calls , while receiving calls will be charged at a maximum rate of 19 cent per minute . In two years , those maximum charges will fall to 35 cent and 11 cent per minute respectively . Sending a text while roaming in the EU costs an average of 28 cent but that is now set to drop to 11 cent . The measures were approved by MEPs in Strasbourg this afternoon by 646 votes to 22 . The package also introduces per second billing . Currently customers are billed per minute . It is estimated that this means paying for 20% more time than is actually used . Mobile phone customers will also be able to set maximum cost limits for data services , to prevent them from unintentionally running up large bills by downloading material on their phones while abroad . The new package also aims to help people who use their mobiles or other hand-held devices to surf the internet while they are travelling within the EU . It will limit the wholesale price of transferring a megabyte of data while on the road to a maximum of €1 from July 2009 , then to 80 cent from July 2010 and 50 cent from July 2011 . The price for such services currently stands at about €1.68. - €7.28

Surfing the internet on mobile phones while roaming has been particularly expensive . In one case, a German woman faced a bill of €46,000 for downloading a television programme while on holiday in France .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
its call roming Spanish sim card in Uk phone while in the uk to make loacl spanish call you going charged roming ....... o that going to hit the top up

when uk only used you phone to reciver TEXTS

Spanish Financial News by Jurdy read good news

Big cuts in mobile costs home and away in Eu Zone

A price war between Movistar and Vodefone has broken out in mobile phone charges in Spain . Telefónica’s Movistar announced a new simple nine cent per minute rate and now Vodafone has answered with a new ‘tarifa plana’ . The new plan is to be launched on May 4 and will allow calls of upto 90 minutes duration where only the first minute is paid for at 19,9 cents plus IVA . Meanwhile one of the new virtual operators , MásMóvil, has said they will pay the difference if any of their clients find a cheaper deal . They currently offer calls at 8 cents per minute . All companies charge a 15cent call establishing fee . The European Parliament has approved measures which will drastically cut the cost of using mobile phones while travelling within the 27 EU member states from July . From July 1 mobile operators will be able to charge a maximum of 43 cent per minute (excluding IVA) for outgoing phone calls , while receiving calls will be charged at a maximum rate of 19 cent per minute . In two years , those maximum charges will fall to 35 cent and 11 cent per minute respectively . Sending a text while roaming in the EU costs an average of 28 cent but that is now set to drop to 11 cent . The measures were approved by MEPs in Strasbourg this afternoon by 646 votes to 22 . The package also introduces per second billing . Currently customers are billed per minute . It is estimated that this means paying for 20% more time than is actually used . Mobile phone customers will also be able to set maximum cost limits for data services , to prevent them from unintentionally running up large bills by downloading material on their phones while abroad . The new package also aims to help people who use their mobiles or other hand-held devices to surf the internet while they are travelling within the EU . It will limit the wholesale price of transferring a megabyte of data while on the road to a maximum of €1 from July 2009 , then to 80 cent from July 2010 and 50 cent from July 2011 . The price for such services currently stands at about €1.68. - €7.28

Surfing the internet on mobile phones while roaming has been particularly expensive . In one case, a German woman faced a bill of €46,000 for downloading a television programme while on holiday in France .

Not sure I understood much of that but I don't think that was the OP's point.

What are the charges for using a Spanish SIM in a UK phone whilst in Spain?

Surely the charges should be the same as if you were using a Spanish phone? If not, could someone please tell me as I use a UK mobile here in Spain and this could be where all my money is going.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

Surely the charges should be the same as if you were using a Spanish phone? If not, could someone please tell me as I use a UK mobile here in Spain and this could be where all my money is going.
Same as if it was a Spanish phone with the sim card, the call rates depend on the Sim card, and not the phone. Using a UK mobile here with a UK Sim you will be charged international rates, even if you are calling next door. If your sim card is Spanish, then you will only be charged the local call rates.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Mike E is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Same as if it was a Spanish phone with the sim card, the call rates depend on the Sim card, and not the phone. Using a UK mobile here with a UK Sim you will be charged international rates, even if you are calling next door. If your sim card is Spanish, then you will only be charged the local call rates.
As THE new-boy on the block - my first post!

I undersand that to be the case too.

We both have UK purchased handsets. When in Spain OH and me use our Spanish SIM cards (Movistar PAYG).

But when in UK I keep my Spanish SIM because this generally is the number we give to others in Spain for communications.

The OH swops her Spanish SIM for a UK one (Orange PAYG) and we use hers whilst over in UK

Phone numbers are saved both to phone and to SIM cards

OTH

Mike E
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
As Mike says the charges are down to the sim card, you can use an unlocked phone anywhere, maybe except the wonderful USA as they have a different system.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:49 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by snikpoh

not the phone that charges you Its the sim .... you tariff must be on the hight plan .... ie 46 cent day time 25 night time

need to look and fine out what tariff ... back two the shop ... for that one r online if your reg with them

http://www.movistar.es/fwk/cda/contr...41_0_0,00.html
movistar topup tariffs and there not cheap ... get your self on two cheaper plan
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

sonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant futuresonnyc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sonnyc

Many thanks for the replies confirms what I told the original poster, myself I will check what tariff I am on.