Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone tariffs & PAYG sim cards - help

Mobile phone tariffs & PAYG sim cards - help

Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:08 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone tariffs & PAYG sim cards - help

We are just working out roughly what our costs will be when we move to Spain having managed to find everything out apart from mobile phone contract prices.

I have picked up a carphone warehouse magazine from Spain but even with the aid of a spanish dictionary cannot translate a lot of it as half of the words do not appear in the dictionary!!

Does anyone know roughly what a normal monthly contract payment would be say for use all day maybe around 60 minutes a month dialing all networks (if there is such a tariff in Spain). Also who does the cheapest tariffs out of Amena, Movistar, Vodafone?

I have recently come back from Spain having purchased yet another spanish PAYG sim. As we are not going back for over 6 months, the number will have expired and we will have to buy another one. Does anyone know if there is a facility here to top up the sim say just for 10 euros to keep it going.

Someone on another forum said it was possible to do this online on CAM bank's site but I bank with CAM bank and I cannot find anything.

I have switched on my phone today using the spanish sim and it comes up with UK Vodafone as the network, but again someone on another forum says it is possible to get a balance for the phone in the UK. Doesn't seem possible to me but who knows?
Old Sep 24th 2005, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all
Default Re: Mobile phone tariffs & PAYG sim cards - help

When you use a UK PAYG in spain you can call the top-up line/customer services just as you would in the UK. I have often topped up my Uk phone using the debit card that is pre-registered against that number. I can't see why the reverse wouldn't be true.

My Spanish Vodafone PAYG is OK for 9 months but I have bought a top up voucher to add whilst my over here just in case.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Do you not know anyone who lives here who could top it up for you. They wouldn't need the telephone only the number and the name of the operator. You could also do it through a Spanish bank account or through the vodafone.es website or by way of a series of keypad codes which involves keying in your credit card number but this is a bit complicated.

I don't know about the other operators contracted rates but Vodafone do what is called a Plan Decreciente. With this tariff you pay €0,20 per minute for the first two minutes then €0,10 for each subsequent minute to any telephone at any time of the day. The monthly quota is €9 and that includes up to €9 worth of calls.

There are other tariffs but that would seem to be the one most suitable to your situation.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 10:24 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Do you not know anyone who lives here who could top it up for you. They wouldn't need the telephone only the number and the name of the operator. You could also do it through a Spanish bank account or through the vodafone.es website or by way of a series of keypad codes which involves keying in your credit card number but this is a bit complicated.

I don't know about the other operators contracted rates but Vodafone do what is called a Plan Decreciente. With this tariff you pay €0,20 per minute for the first two minutes then €0,10 for each subsequent minute to any telephone at any time of the day. The monthly quota is €9 and that includes up to €9 worth of calls.

There are other tariffs but that would seem to be the one most suitable to your situation.
Thanks for the replies. I have now been onto CAM Bank's website and there is a facility to do a top up there. Not sure of what is involved and whether there is any extra cost on top of the top up itself.

I presume by monthly quota you mean the monthly cost is 9euros which includes 9euros of calls and then you pay for other calls at the rates you gave on top of that?? Certainly that tariff would be ok once we got a telefonica landline but possibly not the best one for making all of our calls during the one or two years we might wait for telefonica to honour us with their service.

Unfortunately we don't know anyone in spain who could do it for us - well not someone we could ask to pay our money for us until we go back next year!!