British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Missing Diamonds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/missing-diamonds-561678/)

03630 Sep 15th 2008 4:39 pm

Missing Diamonds

My wife recently needed an eternity ring resizing. 7 good quality diamonds. We took it to the local jeweller. It was resized in a week for the cost of 5 euros.

About three weeks later she noticed that one of the diamonds was missing. I looked carefully at the ring and the stone next to the missing one looked a bit insecure as well. I assumed she had caught it somewhere. Because they are good diamonds I returned it to the supplier for a repair.

Imagine my surprise when he called today telling me that one of the remaining stones is cubic zirconia. I trust the supplying jeweller fully. I suspect the workshop that my local jeweller has used (in Spain). Has anyone else heard of anything similar and what advice does anyone have, how to proceed?

Mitzyboy Sep 15th 2008 4:53 pm

Re: Missing Diamonds

Originally Posted by 03630 (Post 6785837)
My wife recently needed an eternity ring resizing. 7 good quality diamonds. We took it to the local jeweller. It was resized in a week for the cost of 5 euros.

About three weeks later she noticed that one of the diamonds was missing. I looked carefully at the ring and the stone next to the missing one looked a bit insecure as well. I assumed she had caught it somewhere. Because they are good diamonds I returned it to the supplier for a repair.

Imagine my surprise when he called today telling me that one of the remaining stones is cubic zirconia. I trust the supplying jeweller fully. I suspect the workshop that my local jeweller has used (in Spain). Has anyone else heard of anything similar and what advice does anyone have, how to proceed?

You know, its something that has always worried me as we wanted to take my wifes engagement ring in to have the settings checked but we dont feel confident

betris Sep 15th 2008 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by 03630 (Post 6785837)

well I have no advice but that is a common trick with a lot of things it called ringing(nothing to do with a ring) unfortunatly you have no proof as the local jewler could say it came in like that.and you wouldnt know if it did.unless you got it certified on the way in and on the way out by a expert who was with you.

poshnbucks Sep 16th 2008 12:29 am

Hello Sorry to hear of your loss, As has been said unless the ring has been valued or viewed and certified prior to it going with the jeweller here in Spain, You can not say at which time in the rings life that stone was inserted. I must say my wife has had several valuable rings resized here as her fingers have swollen since arrival.I agree the charges are very reasonable but never suspected this practice would go on albeit the temptation to the jeweller if he or she is that way inclined is obvious. :ohmy:

Tegwyn Sep 16th 2008 5:11 am

It is unfortunate but not as uncommon as one might think. A jeweller in our town got sent to jail for 12 years for that very practice.

keddyboy Sep 16th 2008 2:39 pm

You ring cars nothing else. You ring a car by changing number plates engine no. etc. Ringing refers to nothing else except bells!!!!!

betris Sep 16th 2008 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by keddyboy (Post 6788985)
You ring cars nothing else. You ring a car by changing number plates engine no. etc. Ringing refers to nothing else except bells!!!!!

you can ring cars.you can clone cars.you can have a cloned ring the jewler could have copied the ring and rung it.but in this case they rung the diamonds.

featherbum Sep 16th 2008 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tegwyn (Post 6787598)
It is unfortunate but not as uncommon as one might think. A jeweller in our town got sent to jail for 12 years for that very practice.

how can some people sleep at night. this story made me livid!!!
you should call the police on him, you may be lucky and the jewlerer could end up in jail like this one tegwyn is talking about! :curse:

betris Sep 16th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by featherbum (Post 6790206)
how can some people sleep at night. this story made me livid!!!
you should call the police on him, you may be lucky and the jewlerer could end up in jail like this one tegwyn is talking about! :curse:

Its sad but it happens.The problem is the proof.look at the other side.say you were a jewler and some one put in a false rolex for repair. and you didnt check it then they claimed it was a genuine one when it went in.how do you prove it wasnt.so the gent with the ring cannot prove that it was the jewler who switched the diamonds although he well knows it.He should go to the police just in case this has happend a few times before and its been reported.then the police would belive him

Tegwyn Sep 16th 2008 9:45 pm

I believe the way this guy was caught was that the person filed a charge, and then an article was posted in the paper requesting people who have had their precious stoned jewellery repaired/purchased/ etc. at this store take their item to a jewellery appraiser selected by the police department. A number of other people came forward when they discovered their stones had been replaced. They of course had to prove it by showing the original appraisal of the item and proof of work done (receipt/bank statement etc.) with this individual.

betris Sep 16th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tegwyn (Post 6790498)
I believe the way this guy was caught was that the person filed a charge, and then an article was posted in the paper requesting people who have had their precious stoned jewellery repaired/purchased/ etc. at this store take their item to a jewellery appraiser selected by the police department. A number of other people came forward when they discovered their stones had been replaced. They of course had to prove it by showing the original appraisal of the item and proof of work done (receipt/bank statement etc.) with this individual.

Im not a saint but that is a bad bad crime.when you think of a simple thing like a diamond ring.it may have been handed down from mother to mother to mother.or it may hold very sentimental value.it could be all you have left when a loved one has departed this world.I hope who ever it was gets his just deserts.

Rotor Sep 17th 2008 12:25 pm

A bad thing but it dose prove diamonds are a waste of money if only experts can tell if they are real or not! They are not even rare, just from a controled market! Yes I know its nice to have the real thing but how do you know if your getting a good deal? I own a real Rolex and a fake one and side by side its obvious ,but diamonds?:confused:

Rgds

Rotor

poshnbucks Sep 17th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by betris (Post 6790399)
Its sad but it happens.The problem is the proof.look at the other side.say you were a jewler and some one put in a false rolex for repair. and you didnt check it then they claimed it was a genuine one when it went in.how do you prove it wasnt.so the gent with the ring cannot prove that it was the jewler who switched the diamonds although he well knows it.He should go to the police just in case this has happend a few times before and its been reported.then the police would belive him

If a Rolex is stolen it will be on the Rolex worldwide register. I have worn one since my father gave me it for my 21st each have a unique serial number on several parts of the watch. The Jeweller would be hard pressed to copy that particular watch having said that nothing is impossible.I would only use a registered Rolex repair/dealer which is well documented.Not the lucky lucky man :zzz:

Rotor Sep 18th 2008 10:53 am

Originally Posted by poshnbucks (Post 6792678)
If a Rolex is stolen it will be on the Rolex worldwide register. I have worn one since my father gave me it for my 21st each have a unique serial number on several parts of the watch. The Jeweller would be hard pressed to copy that particular watch having said that nothing is impossible.I would only use a registered Rolex repair/dealer which is well documented.Not the lucky lucky man :zzz:

Correct, you would be nuts to give your Rolex to anyone but an authorised dealer ,for some repair work they have to go back to the factory, this can take upto six weeks which is very frustrating but at least your repair / service is gauranteed and accepted by insurance company`s should you need to claim,

Rgds

Rotor

Duchess Sep 18th 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by betris (Post 6790399)
The problem is the proof.look at the other side.say you were a jewler and some one put in a false rolex for repair. and you didnt check it then they claimed it was a genuine one when it went in.how do you prove it wasnt.

A genuine Rolex has an individual serial number relating to that watch, you are also issued with a certificate. This is registered in your name, so would be difficult ;) :sneaky: