British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Might have found the house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/might-have-found-house-908903/)

Withavee Feb 7th 2018 11:03 am

Might have found the house

Hi All, we are over here for a month to check out areas and houses when the weather is at it's coldest and it does seem to be the case. Did not really expect to find what we were looking for but more 'what we don'' want.

Anyway there is one that we both like and fits in with what we plan for the future. As ever the estate agent can supply 'all the contacts we might need', and they have been great but here and other places the advice seems to be find your own, recommended, legal and building contacts.

We are talking about the Pinoso area, though we are actually staying near Vera (too long a story to go into here) until 17th Feb. Any recommendations for legal and architectural work would be great, also would be nice to meet up with a few members in the Pinoso area for a chat over a coffee beer or a bite.

All advice welcome.

missile Feb 7th 2018 2:14 pm

Re: Might have found the house

There are a few honest EAs and their advice may be sound. As in the UK, buyer beware.

Pinoso is a lovely little town. Good luck with your purchase.

Bigmomma1 Feb 7th 2018 10:28 pm

We used a Spanish (English speaking) firm of Solicitors that were recommended to us by the Estate Agents we purchased through. The Service we received was very professional and extremely friendly and we have continued to use their services for personal business since that time, nearly 3 years now. However, we did do some background research on them first and found quite positive results and would, and do, recommend them to other's who are purchasing in our area (Costa Del Sol).

vh3 Feb 8th 2018 3:57 pm

Hi, We will be moving to the CDS area therefore if you could provide us with a recommendation that would be great. Or DM me if that isn't allowed. We will be there in March/April therefore an initial meeting with them could be useful.

Bigmomma1 Feb 8th 2018 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 12437788)
Hi, We will be moving to the CDS area therefore if you could provide us with a recommendation that would be great. Or DM me if that isn't allowed. We will be there in March/April therefore an initial meeting with them could be useful.

I am hoping that the moderators can distinguish between Advertising and providing a genuine recommendation based on personal experience in order to provide assistance to a forum member, if not, they will remove the post. However, the firm we used were 'Manilva Solicitors' whose main office is in Marbella, although we used them through an office they have in our local town. As I have stated in another post, not only did they do everything as expected in respect of the property purchase but as we were returning to the UK after having our offer accepted, and not returning for several months, they opened up our on-line Spanish Bank Account, arranged connection of our Water & Electricity and the associated Direct Debit Payments, they sorted out the Annual IBI payments, they obtained our NIE Numbers and organised our Property Insurance and sorted out our Spanish Wills in accordance with UK Inheritance Laws. They were superb and we continue to use them to sort out the administration of our annual property tax returns and payments.

Moses2013 Feb 9th 2018 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1 (Post 12437845)
I am hoping that the moderators can distinguish between Advertising and providing a genuine recommendation based on personal experience in order to provide assistance to a forum member, if not, they will remove the post. However, the firm we used were 'Manilva Solicitors' whose main office is in Marbella, although we used them through an office they have in our local town. As I have stated in another post, not only did they do everything as expected in respect of the property purchase but as we were returning to the UK after having our offer accepted, and not returning for several months, they opened up our on-line Spanish Bank Account, arranged connection of our Water & Electricity and the associated Direct Debit Payments, they sorted out the Annual IBI payments, they obtained our NIE Numbers and organised our Property Insurance and sorted out our Spanish Wills in accordance with UK Inheritance Laws. They were superb and we continue to use them to sort out the administration of our annual property tax returns and payments.

Are they still charging you for that service? Paying Property tax usually just means you get a letter (IBI document) and you just pay.

Bigmomma1 Feb 9th 2018 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12438448)
Are they still charging you for that service? Paying Property tax usually just means you get a letter (IBI document) and you just pay.

We do not mean the IBI payment, that is just paid by Direct Debit from our bank each year. The property tax I mean is the non-residents tax on the property, used to be referred to as a wealth tax I believe ? It does not equate to that much and is based on the Cadastral Value of the property, our Cadastral Valuation was re-done in 2015 and the amount we pay in property tax has not changed in the last 3 years since then. If we were 'Permanent Residents' we would not have to pay this tax.

Moses2013 Feb 9th 2018 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1 (Post 12438458)
We do not mean the IBI payment, that is just paid by Direct Debit from our bank each year. The property tax I mean is the non-residents tax on the property, used to be referred to as a wealth tax I believe ? It does not equate to that much and is based on the Cadastral Value of the property, our Cadastral Valuation was re-done in 2015 and the amount we pay in property tax has not changed in the last 3 years since then. If we were 'Permanent Residents' we would not have to pay this tax.

The IBI is basically the property tax you pay every year and that's based on cadastral value. Ok, you mean the Impuesto Extraordinario sobre el patrimonio which is a kind of wealth tax as you say. So your property income etc. is equal or greater than 700K in Spain?
https://www.blevinsfranks.com/news/b...tax-spain-2017

Bigmomma1 Feb 9th 2018 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12438464)
The IBI is basically the property tax you pay every year and that's based on cadastral value. Ok, you mean the Impuesto Extraordinario sobre el patrimonio which is a kind of wealth tax as you say.

I didn't know the official terminology but bow to your superior knowledge đź‘Ť We believe that it is quite straightforward to do ourselves if we had to, but as we are not yet fully proficient with our Spanish, especially beaurocracy and form filling, for us, the simplest option at this period in time is to let our Spanish Solicitors take care of the administration for us, they do not charge very much for this service and so for our convenience it is easier this way.

johnnyone Feb 9th 2018 2:39 pm

I think the poster is referring to the modelo 210 payable by non-residents who do not rent their properties out.

Moses2013 Feb 9th 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1 (Post 12438468)
I didn't know the official terminology but bow to your superior knowledge đź‘Ť We believe that it is quite straightforward to do ourselves if we had to, but as we are not yet fully proficient with our Spanish, especially beaurocracy and form filling, for us, the simplest option at this period in time is to let our Spanish Solicitors take care of the administration for us, they do not charge very much for this service and so for our convenience it is easier this way.

No that's fine. Just thought you meant the actual property tax alone, as I know some like to charge although the process is very easy, even for someone with limited Spanish like myself ;). That's a different story in your case and good to have someone do it.

Fred James Feb 9th 2018 2:45 pm

It’s not really a wealth tax, it’s an “imputed”income tax based on the notional value of the property. A few years ago you also had to pay a proper wealth tax as well. Wealth tax applied to everyone but it was never actually abolished, what they did in 2008 was to reduce it to zero %. It has recently been “reintroduced” but the threshold is very high so it only affects very wealthy taxpayers. The correct name for it is “Impuesto sobre el Patrimonio”, usually just referred to as Patrimonio in the same way that Income Tax is referred to as Renta.

Cape Blue Feb 10th 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1 (Post 12438468)

If it's just the imputed income tax from (not) letting your house out I find John at Spanish Tax Forms is the easiest route for me to get it paid.

Spanish Tax Forms Ltd: Spanish Tax made easy!: Home

bobd22 Feb 10th 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12439115)
If it's just the imputed income tax from (not) letting your house out I find John at Spanish Tax Forms is the easiest route for me to get it paid.

Spanish Tax Forms Ltd: Spanish Tax made easy!: Home

I agree if you dont want to do them yourself (easy enough) then i would recomend John on the above link. He privides an excellent cost effective service.