British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Medication in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/medication-spain-450878/)

Linken1647 May 17th 2007 11:12 am

Medication in Spain

My husband is diabetic and insulin dependent. When we move to Spain, will he still be able to obtain his insulin there based on his UK prescription and will he receive it free of charge like he does here?
Or what is the procedure for people who rely on permanent drugs? The prescribed type, or course!!

Rosemary May 17th 2007 1:52 pm

Re: Medication in Spain

Originally Posted by Linken1647 (Post 4792560)
My husband is diabetic and insulin dependent. When we move to Spain, will he still be able to obtain his insulin there based on his UK prescription and will he receive it free of charge like he does here?
Or what is the procedure for people who rely on permanent drugs? The prescribed type, or course!!

Once you have registered and have a SIP card you can request a prescription for the medication that he needs. Most medication is a lot cheaper here than in the UK and I think anything that is classed as a necessity as in 'life depends on it' is even cheaper.

I feel sure that someone on here will know exactly what it means to be a diabetic in Spain so will be able to tell you better than I can.

Rosemary

Miss Naughty May 17th 2007 2:20 pm

Hi
I have treatment for a thyroid problem and i was told in spain that i had to pay for my medication and my monthly blood test.

However i was not there long enough to need to :(

I asked the doctor for 3 months of tablets before leaving the uk, i am sure if you ask the uk doctor he may well do the same. xxxxxxx

mikelincs May 17th 2007 9:28 pm

Depends on your age, if you, or your partner are above UK retirement age, then you can get registered with the Spanish health Service and all treatment and tests are free. As Miss Naughty says, you should be able to get 3 months treatemnt from your UK Dr to tide you over till you get registered here, also you should ask your UK practice for a summary of your medical history, just give that to the DR when you get registered. You will have to pay for the history.

Rosemary May 18th 2007 7:30 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 4794949)
Depends on your age, if you, or your partner are above UK retirement age, then you can get registered with the Spanish health Service and all treatment and tests are free. As Miss Naughty says, you should be able to get 3 months treatemnt from your UK Dr to tide you over till you get registered here, also you should ask your UK practice for a summary of your medical history, just give that to the DR when you get registered. You will have to pay for the history.

We did not have to pay for our medical history from our UK doctor.

Rosemary