Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Medical options for visitors to Spain

Medical options for visitors to Spain

Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical options for visitors to Spain

We live in the US but spend the summers in Spain. Our American insurance will cover us for medical care when we are abroad. We are supposed to pay the cost and then they reimburse us when we get back. But we've run into problems before in Spain where we try to go to the doctor and they won't even give us an appointment because we're not in the social security system.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what we can do if we need medical care while in Spain? Can we look for a private doctor? Or is there some way we can get the social security people to treat us? I imagine that if it's a true emergency, they won't turn us away at the emergency room.

Thanks.
- Eric S.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical options for visitors to Spain

Originally Posted by Eric S
We live in the US but spend the summers in Spain. Our American insurance will cover us for medical care when we are abroad. We are supposed to pay the cost and then they reimburse us when we get back. But we've run into problems before in Spain where we try to go to the doctor and they won't even give us an appointment because we're not in the social security system.

Can anyone give me suggestions on what we can do if we need medical care while in Spain? Can we look for a private doctor? Or is there some way we can get the social security people to treat us? I imagine that if it's a true emergency, they won't turn us away at the emergency room.

Thanks.
- Eric S.
Hi
the state health system won't usually help even EU citizens unless they are 'in the system' - I've even heard of people being turned away at the emergency room unless the pay several 100€ upfront!!!

there are many private doctors & hospitals around - best to find out from your travel insurer who will accept you
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. We don't have travel insurance. It's our normal US health insurance company that covers us when we travel. We just need to pay the costs ourselves and then they reimburse us when we get back to the US.

I wonder if having travel insurance will help? Will health providers in Spain be more likely to help us if we have travel insurance?

I guess we'll just need to stick to private doctors/hospitals.

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Jul 18th 2011 at 3:52 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The Costa del Sol hospital will treat you when they have swiped your credit card
Old Jul 18th 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK we have to have travel insurance to get treatment abroad, or else pay up front, why not ask your company what should be covered and the area, more than likely your insurance is not recognised here, all holiday makers I know have been seen and treated here, if not insurance it is 50 euros up front.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there is a directory of medical services that cover those with private medical insurance.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, all. I did some Googling and found a couple of sites that list private doctors and hospitals in Spain.

I have checked with our insurance company and all they tell me is that I am covered and have to pay out of pocket when we receive treatment abroad. And then they will reimburse us later.

- Eric S.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
Thanks, all. I did some Googling and found a couple of sites that list private doctors and hospitals in Spain.

I have checked with our insurance company and all they tell me is that I am covered and have to pay out of pocket when we receive treatment abroad. And then they will reimburse us later.

- Eric S.
yes, that's what happened to us on a visit to the US years ago............200$ for a 3 yr old's throat infection

which we did get back....................eventually................ .
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:19 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

In spain you go to the emerengy Doctors or Hospital and bring your Passport and your E111 [thats your Eone eleven]which covers you for free treatment..You get a form at any UK Post office.. you get the same treatment as if you were in the UK.. I never had holiday insurance ..all I had was an E111.card..

Last edited by tommy.irene; Jul 18th 2011 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The E111 was replaced some time ago by the EHIC.

The OP is not an EU resident so cannot have one.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:37 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The E111 was replaced some time ago by the EHIC.

The OP is not an EU resident so cannot have one.
I still use my E111 as its still in date.. will send for new one next year.. so its EHIC whats that please..
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
I still use my E111 as its still in date.. will send for new one next year.. so its EHIC whats that please..
They are the same just a different name.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

It stands for.... European Health Insurance Card.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 5:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by megmet
It stands for.... European Health Insurance Card.
..........and is intended for tourists....not people living abroad
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:21 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You are using it illegally as you live in Spain, woe betide you if you are found oput, as you are a Spanish resident you need either to get into the Spanish system or pay for health cover.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.