Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Apr 22nd 2018, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

PKC59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Medical Insurance

I can hear the groans now "not another bloody newbie with the same question?" Apologies, but it is. I have done my research and found that in the Ontinyent area, where we intend to put down roots, there are a multitude of providers. What I would like to know is; has anyone had experience (we will be tax residents under pension age) with any of the following: Aegon, divina, asisa, Adeslas or Sanitas. We have no ailments yet but want the insurance that covers full costs for in and out options.

Thanks very much.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

Originally Posted by PKC59
I can hear the groans now "not another bloody newbie with the same question?" Apologies, but it is. I have done my research and found that in the Ontinyent area, where we intend to put down roots, there are a multitude of providers. What I would like to know is; has anyone had experience (we will be tax residents under pension age) with any of the following: Aegon, divina, asisa, Adeslas or Sanitas. We have no ailments yet but want the insurance that covers full costs for in and out options.

Thanks very much.
OK, so we took the health insurance provided by La Caixa Bank for the 1st year.
44 years old no pre conditions, the top level of coverage €55 each a month.

My neighbours who were 64 last year paid €120 each a month. The husband developed liver cancer unfortunately. The health care was very very good. The only downside with needing a private hospital is that they are not always in your local area! So the wife had to travel from the Gandia area to Valencia City (40miles) where the private hospital was, to visit each day..... Where as Gandia has a brand new hospital on the edge of town.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

You can also pay into the Spanish national health system, more here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:39 am
Just Joined

PKC59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. Great information. It will be handy when we comply with the Valencian conditions in that we need to be residents for a year before being able to apply for, and pay into, the Spanish National Health Service. So for now I guess we apply for private medical insurance for a year. Cheers.

Happy Saint Georges Day
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
You can also pay into the Spanish national health system, more here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
You have to be residents for 5 years or self employed (autonomo).
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 8:58 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, for the Convenio Especial, you have to be resident for one year.

http://www.gva.es/es/inicio/procedim..._page=&id_site

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 23rd 2018 at 9:02 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, for the Convenio Especial, you have to be resident for one year.

Generalitat: Detalle de Procedimientos
OK, but my Gestor told me five years and the link on the Gov.UK site suggests the same - "Permanent residents have been registered as residents with extranjería for at least five years."

Although I see from this document that even in Spain it is not widely known that you can pay directly after one year - https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...?745795&745795 - Is this still current?

http://www.gva.es/es/inicio/procedim..._page=&id_site

Last edited by Smithy73; Apr 23rd 2018 at 9:43 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:46 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The Gov.UK site is correct in saying that you are only a permanent resident after 5 years. However, that is irrelevant in this case as that is not a requirement for the cover.

As far as I know the info on the CAB site is current, the problem is that whether they offer it depends on the individual region.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PKC59

Thanks very much.
Generally very good experience with Adeslas ( insurance offshot from La Caixa bank ) . Convenio especial after one year is a good option if you want access to public health care system but it is not nationwide, some regions yet to implement it so you need to check.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
OK, but my Gestor told me five years and the link on the Gov.UK site suggests the same - "Permanent residents have been registered as residents with extranjería for at least five years."

Although I see from this document that even in Spain it is not widely known that you can pay directly after one year - https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...?745795&745795 - Is this still current?

Generalitat: Detalle de Procedimientos
And that means being registered on the padron at the local town hall - not simply a question of being here for 12 months
Old Apr 25th 2018, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Generally very good experience with Adeslas ( insurance offshot from La Caixa bank ) . Convenio especial after one year is a good option if you want access to public health care system but it is not nationwide, some regions yet to implement it so you need to check.
I was with Sanitas in Madrid for many years, before returning to live in the UK, and was very satisfied with the treatment received and the cover provided. In fact, here in the UK my cover is with BUPA (parent of Sanitas) and I find the cover is not as good as I had in Spain under Sanitas.
Hope this helps.
iant
Old Apr 29th 2018, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Your choice is sometimes ruled by the availability of Doctors and Clinics affiliated to the Provider that are present within a reasonable distance from your home. No good saving 30 euros a month on the Policy when you may have to travel 50 miles to the nearest Health Provider!

Check this carefully. many I know have made this mistake, especially in an emergency! Convenio Especial ( I am on the scheme), check your AC's rule but normally 'resident' for at least one year and on the Padron for at least a year. You will also have to have the 'Leglislation letter' from the UK, stating you now have no health cover there. But beware, once you request this, you are OFF the UK NHS in general terms.