Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Belperboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Insurance

My wife and I are looking to move to Murcia, Spain next year after taking early retirement. We will not be working and hope to buy our own property.

We are now looking at medical insurance and it seems quite expensive.

Do you need medical insurance if you live in Spain?
If so what sort of cost are we looking at?

Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks
Richard
Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

Hi Belperboy
Sorry I can't help with your insurance query, however someone will be along soon.
But your user name intrigues me.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you will require it to qualify for residencia (needed for all full-time residents here) suggest you research more here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain

Rates vary depending on cover etc - others can comment.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

kdpunshon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Belperboy
My wife and I are looking to move to Murcia, Spain next year after taking early retirement. We will not be working and hope to buy our own property.

Thanks
Richard
I am no expert and have not even moved to my new home in Spain yet but I have done some research on this and YES you will definitely need insurance. I have also found that they only provide annual policies which doesn't suit me so I will stick with travel insurance as and when I am there. There are a number of providers and options so why not contact some of them and get a quote. I was looking at about 100 euros per month because it was the most comprehensive which I didn't think was too bad given the coverage but then I am Canadian and used to paying a higher fee for health care.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 6:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Belperboy

Thanks
Richard
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said to live in Spain over 90 days you are required to obtain residency one requirement to get residency is fully comprehensive health cover. I have recently looked into this and was quoted 79 Euros per person per month on annual term. Travel insurance no matter how comprehensive is not acceptable and as you state you wish to move full time then you will have to comply. Of course these are current EU rules no idea what will happen after March 2019 but I somehow don't see the requirements lessening!
Old Aug 18th 2017, 8:57 am
Just Joined

kdpunshon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bob, further to your comments. To be clear. I was saying that I would not be a tax resident so therefore there is no legal requirement for health insurance and travel insurance is fine. I hope i dont have this wrong about Spain? I do think i have the residency requirements clear -- dont plan to be there long enough to be classed as a resident and allow the government's hand in my back pocket. Spain seems particularly draconian when it comes to taxes and rules for ex pats.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kdpunshon
Hi Bob, further to your comments. To be clear. I was saying that I would not be a tax resident so therefore there is no legal requirement for health insurance and travel insurance is fine. I hope i dont have this wrong about Spain? I do think i have the residency requirements clear -- dont plan to be there long enough to be classed as a resident and allow the government's hand in my back pocket. Spain seems particularly draconian when it comes to taxes and rules for ex pats.
Sorry yes I presumed you would live full time as you mentioned early retirement. Problem for you is that under current rules which are not very well enforced, if you live in Spain over 90 days then you should sign on the foreigners register which is basically obtaining residency.if you remain in Spain over 183 days between 1 January 31 December you become tax resident and should submit tax forms. Often this is ignored currently but after March 2019 that may change.
Old Aug 18th 2017, 9:41 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

To be clear. I was saying that I would not be a tax resident so therefore there is no legal requirement for health insurance and travel insurance is fine.
Do not confuse tax residency with the requirement to sign onto the register of foreigners after 90 days. You are only allowed to remain in Spain as a tourist for 90 days. If you wish to stay longer you must register. To do that you have to have full health cover, travel insurance is not acceptable.

Many people who are only visiting for periods of less than 183 days do not bother, but you need to be aware that it is a legal requirement to do so, however, that could all change after Brexit as different rules may apply and it could get more difficult to avoid these rules.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

nickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant futurenickcarol has a brilliant future

I am no expert and have not even moved to my new home in Spain yet but I have done some research on this and YES you will definitely need insurance. I have also found that they only provide annual policies which doesn't suit me so I will stick with travel insurance as and when I am there. There are a number of providers and options so why not contact some of them and get a quote. I was looking at about 100 euros per month because it was the most comprehensive which I didn't think was too bad given the coverage but then I am Canadian and used to paying a higher fee for health care.
Please could you tell me which company quoted you 100 euros a month as I've been researching and couldn't find any this low in price.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Adeslas, owned by la Caixa Bank gives good rates and has a very efficient service.
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Rufi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my partner and I have Adeslas, we pay 17 2 euros for both of us. We don't need it as we both have Spanish National Health as well, but we are both in our late 50s so we thought it was best. It's Adeslas Plena Plus. There are many other private health companies. Look at all the web sites and compare all as I did, it takes time but with the Internet it is so easy. Look up, research and compare prices etc!!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Rufi is an unknown quantity at this point

Web site:, WWW.adeslas.es
Tel:902200200
There are many more companies to compare prices!
Old Aug 21st 2017, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Fluffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking at travel insurance initially (also have EHIC) at what point can I get convenio especial?
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fluffer
I am looking at travel insurance initially (also have EHIC) at what point can I get convenio especial?
To get convenio especial you have to prove you have been legally Spanish resident for 12 months, you can't get Spanish residency with travel insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.