Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by whitelinen
With their salaries????........no, they would be far too posh to push.
Ha, no out of principle they only use state hospitals

But yes c-sections all around, not out of choice, but hips in the family are not wide enough for babies heads! Especially half-Northern European babies heads
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ha, no out of principle they only use state hospitals

What a complete load of BS
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
What a complete load of BS
Love it, someone in the forum brings up my family, I post a reply and then I get called a lier

I'll take it as a compliment from now on.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

soontoretire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
absolutely

but if the OP was here more than 90 days then they should sign on as resident, shouldn't they?

which begs the question - why does EHIC coverage last so long??
I have been following this. At first it sounded like he was in the U.K. and wanted to go to Spain. In which case one would say wait and have the baby in the U.K.
Then it sounds like they are already there.
Question? would a lady in the late stages of childbirth be turned away?
Surely not in any civilised country.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soontoretire
I have been following this. At first it sounded like he was in the U.K. and wanted to go to Spain. In which case one would say wait and have the baby in the U.K.
Then it sounds like they are already there.
Question? would a lady in the late stages of childbirth be turned away?
Surely not in any civilised country.
I think they are indeed still in the UK - not sure though

no, I can't see any way they would be turned away if actually giving birth - or indeed needing any other pregnancy related treatment - however they could well be billed for it if it was considered that they had come to Spain specifically to do so
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Although slightly different, after having had an accident here and being unconscious, the ambulance people and the hospital asked my wife for details of how the treatment would be covered.

We hadn't got around to getting our SIP cards as we have private health cover. Wife gave them our private health details, but I wonder what would have happened if we had no private health and weren't of pensionable age or working.

A month later I received letters from both Gandia & Valencia hospitals again asking for either SIP cards, payment proposal or evidence we were in the system.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The same on the CDS. If no health card you cannot get past reception without them swiping your credit card. If I were the OP I wouldn't want to be in a situation where we have to wade through beaurocracy and argue our eligability at a crucial time, very upsetting.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes the Spanish health service is effectively free and universal.

I am helping someone now in Spain get free healthcare for their baby even though they dont pay social security. The "Ley del menor" allows for this.

And those families who can prove that they are in difficult financial times can also get free healthcare. If you are earning money without declaring it though, then you wont want the Spanish authorities investigating your financial situation! That is the problem with this couple.
FYI. We handed in the Ley Del Menor forms and got a temporary social security number for my friend's baby even though they dont have any social security coverage themselves. The baby now has free healthcare and is booked in for a checkup. Shows the system works!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

FYI. We handed in the Ley Del Menor forms and got a temporary social security number for my friend's baby even though they dont have any social security coverage themselves. The baby now has free healthcare and is booked in for a checkup. Shows the system works!
Does the Ley del Menor only apply from date of birth/shortly thereafter or can it be applicable during pregnancy (leading to free treatment and birth for the mother)? At what point is the Menor deemed to "exist" for the purpose of this law?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Triana
Does the Ley del Menor only apply from date of birth/shortly thereafter or can it be applicable during pregnancy (leading to free treatment and birth for the mother)? At what point is the Menor deemed to "exist" for the purpose of this law?
No its only for the baby, something to do with every baby has the right to medical care from the day it is born.

The other way to get free medical care is to prove that you do not have the funds to make your social security contributions i.e. that you are destitute or impoverished. You can ask for the forms for this either at your health centre or social security office. They will probably then ask for some evidence that you are not able to make payments into the system.

As I've said before, the Spanish system covers everyone whether they can afford it or not. But if the system decides you can afford it, then you will be asked to make your contributions.