Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Isnt the Valencian system open to Residents only?
absolutely

but if the OP was here more than 90 days then they should sign on as resident, shouldn't they?

which begs the question - why does EHIC coverage last so long??
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical care in Spain for a person with EHIC card enquiry, help please

Originally Posted by lynnxa
absolutely

but if the OP was here more than 90 days then they should sign on as resident, shouldn't they?

Well, I have no idea ... and Im not sure if it does or if it doesnt in the Spanish medical systems eyes.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well, I have no idea ... and Im not sure if it does or if it doesnt in the Spanish medical systems eyes.
nor me

bottom line is - it doesn't really matter what is supposed to happen - it's what actually happens that counts, isn't it?
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Because, if used as intended, it covers the annual family holiday abroad and it would be an expensive administrative process to have to renew it every year so it is issued for 5 years.

A Spanish issued one is now valid for two years - why there is not an EU standard for an EU card I really don't know!

If a resident has signed onto the new foreigners register or Padron it should be easy to check (if they have time) but the sort of people who abuse the EHIC are the sort of people who do not register on anything (and are probably driving UK reg cars with no MOT ) and certainly don't pay Spanish tax.

I can really sympathise why the health service is getting picky about it - in major expat areas the hospitals are overwhelmed with foreigners expecting free treatment.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

DesparateGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point

the scheme doesn't apply if you're ordinarily resident in the UK, and is replaced by the EHIC card (again)

Are you normally a resident of the UK? See EHIC information.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 3:56 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James
Because, if used as intended, it covers the annual family holiday abroad and it would be an expensive administrative process to have to renew it every year so it is issued for 5 years.

A Spanish issued one is now valid for two years - why there is not an EU standard for an EU card I really don't know!

If a resident has signed onto the new foreigners register or Padron it should be easy to check (if they have time) but the sort of people who abuse the EHIC are the sort of people who do not register on anything (and are probably driving UK reg cars with no MOT ) and certainly don't pay Spanish tax.

I can really sympathise why the health service is getting picky about it - in major expat areas the hospitals are overwhelmed with foreigners expecting free treatment.
that makes sense!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

LittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the roughLittleWeed is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DesparateGeezer
the scheme doesn't apply if you're ordinarily resident in the UK, and is replaced by the EHIC card (again)

Are you normally a resident of the UK? See EHIC information.
Foreign pregnant women have a right to health care under the La Ley de Extranjería

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...00.t1.html#a12

Here´s what article 12 says;

"Las extranjeras embarazadas que se encuentren en España tienen
derecho a la asistencia sanitaria durante el embarazo, parto y postparto."

(Foreign pregnant women who are in Spain have a right to health care during pregnancy, birth and post birth)

For people that are resident here I think this treatment is free (like emergency care). That´s the theory - what happens in practice may well be down to the funcionarios at the health centre.

Oddly enough this right to care does not apply equally to Spanish women. There was a well publicised case about a year ago of a pregnant women who, due to a very odd set of circumstances, found herself without any health care. She did what some of the posters here have suggested - set up a dummy autonomo to give birth. To do this you will need to be resident.

The Valencian health care scheme is for residents only. The application process is confused, complex and long winded and the last I saw they were asking for proof of residence for the last six months.

Last edited by LittleWeed; Jul 20th 2010 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleWeed
Foreign pregnant women have a right to health care under the La Ley de Extranjería

Here´s what article 12 says;

"Las extranjeras embarazadas que se encuentren en España tienen
derecho a la asistencia sanitaria durante el embarazo, parto y postparto."

(Foreign pregnant women who are in Spain have a right to health care during pregnancy, birth and post birth)

I think this just refers to the right to be treated and not necessarily the right to be treated for free
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LittleWeed

Here´s what article 12 says; "Las extranjeras embarazadas que se encuentren en España tienen derecho a la asistencia sanitaria durante el embarazo, parto y postparto."
Spanish nurse friend in Valencia says they are told this is for Non-EU women only. EU nationals who cannot travel are delivered and billed later.

Having heard and read of some of the practices in Spain including no gas and air and laying across abdomen to expel the child its no wonder that many Spanish women opt for private care.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

DesparateGeezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Spanish nurse friend in Valencia says they are told this is for Non-EU women only. EU nationals who cannot travel are delivered and billed later.

Having heard and read of some of the practices in Spain including no gas and air and laying across abdomen to expel the child its no wonder that many Spanish women opt for private care.
that's getting scary guys,
I hope my wife forgot her English by now, if she sees this, I am grounded for the next two months, and will prolly have to bear the next baby meself.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DesparateGeezer
that's getting scary guys,
I hope my wife forgot her English by now, if she sees this, I am grounded for the next two months, and will prolly have to bear the next baby meself.
I wouldnt take any notice. Like I said earlier Spain has a slightly better record at delivering healthy babies than the UK.

Things you are not used to are always scary. I have a Polish friend who once had a fit in the middle of the street in London and woke up naked in a blood stained corridor in a London hospital where he had to stay for 2 days. He said the experience was so nasty that he booked himself out as soon as he could and flew straight back to Poland to go to a proper clean hospital!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

One way to get rid of the immigrants Suprised he was kept in as long for a seizure, maybe they forgot about him!

The spanish go private if they can afford it, there is a really popular one in Málaga city. The state hospitals do have some strange midwifery

Last edited by jackytoo; Jul 20th 2010 at 5:33 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cricketman
I wouldnt take any notice. Like I said earlier Spain has a slightly better record at delivering healthy babies than the UK.

Written by a man with no experience whatsoever of childbirth, aftercare of a baby and well being of the mother
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:36 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Written by a man with no experience whatsoever of childbirth, aftercare of a baby and well being of the mother
He has knowledge of everything and if not he has a friend/relative who has
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jackytoo
He has knowledge of everything and if not he has a friend/relative who has

With their salaries????........no, they would be far too posh to push.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.