Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Medical care for expat in Spain or UK?

Medical care for expat in Spain or UK?

Old Apr 15th 2007, 10:05 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical care for expat in Spain or UK?

Originally Posted by Gary_F
@Unexpat, thanks for the advice but I'm struggling with the lingo. Gestor? Tarjeta sanitaria? I would happily pay for a local expert to sort things out for her.
@The Oddities, she lives in a medium size town. We're taking it in turns to go out there and visit her. Easyjet must have heard because they've got rid of all the cheap flights! ;-)
Very hard on all of you, the worry, the travelling, using up leave etc but I expect she is very glad to see you all and grateful that she is not being ignored as so many elderly are.

Hope her health improves and she is still living in Spain when she is 100.

Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2007, 6:25 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Very hard on all of you, the worry, the travelling, using up leave etc but I expect she is very glad to see you all and grateful that she is not being ignored as so many elderly are.

Hope her health improves and she is still living in Spain when she is 100.

Rosemary
I'm surprised that she could have lived in spain for 20 years with out registring or checking out health care. Has she not visited the doctor for 20 years? If she moved here at age 70 you'd think the first thing she'd do is get health care sorted out.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big_john
Solarwhiz,

I think that you have probably hit the nail on the head, and touched a raw nerve BACK TAX, and that will / is one of the biggest problems I fear in this case.
Maybe, but if her income was/is modest, she'd probably fall inside the annual tax-free allowance. Again, explaining the situation to an English speaking Gestor would help here to avoid any pitfalls.