Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Markets in Spain

Markets in Spain

Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Macco is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Markets in Spain

My wife and I are Market Traders in the UK and are looking to relocate to Southern Spain within the next year. To earn our living we intend to use our experience on some of the many markets of Spain. We are planning a 1 week visit to the area in March to establish our first preliminary footings. Can anyone advise on market trade associations, organizers etc that we can make contact with before our visit.
Regards John
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Markets in Spain

Originally Posted by Macco
My wife and I are Market Traders in the UK and are looking to relocate to Southern Spain within the next year. To earn our living we intend to use our experience on some of the many markets of Spain. We are planning a 1 week visit to the area in March to establish our first preliminary footings. Can anyone advise on market trade associations, organizers etc that we can make contact with before our visit.
Regards John
I dont know if the markets here have associations here, they are run by the local councils and are usually fairly full, the big one near me has an overspill site that is not as good as the main one and they use a rotor system.
There is a carboot/fleamarket in Fuengirola fairground and sellers that dont have a regular contract claim their pitches the night before the sale. ;-(
PS. you will need to speak Spanish also.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
I dont know if the markets here have associations here, they are run by the local councils and are usually fairly full, the big one near me has an overspill site that is not as good as the main one and they use a rotor system.
There is a carboot/fleamarket in Fuengirola fairground and sellers that dont have a regular contract claim their pitches the night before the sale. ;-(
PS. you will need to speak Spanish also.
Thanks for the information, I think I know of the market close to you. With regards to speaking Spanish we still have a long way to go but Im sure this will improve over the coming months! Thanks again for your quick reply!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information, I think I know of the market close to you. With regards to speaking Spanish we still have a long way to go but Im sure this will improve over the coming months! Thanks again for your quick reply!
What sort of stuff do you sell ?
You will have a lot of competition with Chilian and Morrocan traders selling at silly prices, also Spanish, shoes 3 or 5 €, bra`s 1€, at the moment loads of big beady necklaces from a € up.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
What sort of stuff do you sell ?
You will have a lot of competition with Chilian and Morrocan traders selling at silly prices, also Spanish, shoes 3 or 5 €, bra`s 1€, at the moment loads of big beady necklaces from a € up.
We have always traded toys etc. in the Uk and have built up a good understanding of that market. One of our items of research currently is to locate wholesale distributors in Spain that import goods direct from China.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

We have always traded toys etc. in the Uk and have built up a good understanding of that market. One of our items of research currently is to locate wholesale distributors in Spain that import goods direct from China.
There is an industrial site in Malaga where the ITV test center is, there are quite a few importers there.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there car boot sales round our way (chiclana cadiz)
if not wheres the nearest
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
Sorry andy, i only know the ones round the posh area.
There is one about half an hour this side of Tarifa, but cant remember the name at the mo, there must be some near you though.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry andy, i only know the ones round the posh area.
There is one about half an hour this side of Tarifa, but cant remember the name at the mo, there must be some near you though.
posh area...POSH AREA....EXPLAIN YOURSELF
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

posh area...POSH AREA....EXPLAIN YOURSELF
Nice white Spanish houses, even posher than upper. ;-)
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Cant find any in your area, but if you are this way HERE are some
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the Chinese have already cornered this market in Spain with the prolification of cheap shops selling imported goods from China.

BW
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Cant find any in your area, but if you are this way HERE are some
How up to date is this, the dogs home ad is for 2004.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by jonsol
How up to date is this, the dogs home ad is for 2004.
Homepage says "Idealspain is updated everyday, Saturday, January 27, 2007" perhaps they haven`t had a show lately.
All the markets are on though ;-)
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

The only one I've heard of is the rastro (equivalent to a car boot) on Sundays in Seville.

I read somewhere recently that Cadiz has one on a Sunday morning too, outside the weekday fruit/veg/fish market but I don't have direct experience of either of them.