Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:43 am
Just Joined

orsie91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

Hi there, I just applied for a job in Marbella (teaching in a secondary school, international school), incase I am successful in getting the job then I would need to know the ins and outs of the area.. where to live where to stay away from? Im only 22, female, Irish and will be travelling on my own with pretty much on my own.. Any help would be very much appreciated

Also what public transport is like around the place...especially to torremolinos (for the fun) and malaga for the airport??

Old Jul 11th 2013, 5:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:08 am
Just Joined

MarbsandCarbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly - good luck!

Secondly.....whereabouts in marbella is the school? It would help with living suggestions

x
Old Jul 11th 2013, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orsie91
Hi there, I just applied for a job in Marbella (teaching in a secondary school, international school), incase I am successful in getting the job then I would need to know the ins and outs of the area.. where to live where to stay away from? Im only 22, female, Irish and will be travelling on my own with pretty much on my own.. Any help would be very much appreciated

Also what public transport is like around the place...especially to torremolinos (for the fun) and malaga for the airport??

Unless you are about 50 and a gay man, I dont think you would be interested in Torremolinos! Its also incredibly grotty

If the school is actually in Marbella, then ideally you would be able to drive because the coastal train line doesnt go that far so you would be relying on buses. Also international schools tend to be placed outside of the cities and possibly off the public transport track

Difficult to say where you should go or not, it really depends what you like and what your budget is. If you have a good budget, then I would live in Marbella city itself, possibly in one of the flats overlooking the beaches.

Best thing you could do would be to ask the school and the other teachers, and of course go and look for yourself
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say am surprised you have applied for a job in a place you dont know, wouldnt you had been better to visit and find out , you may hate it here

Whatever if it is what you want then I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your time over here
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pwwm
Have to say am surprised you have applied for a job in a place you dont know, wouldnt you had been better to visit and find out , you may hate it here

Whatever if it is what you want then I wish you the best of luck and hope you enjoy your time over here
I think at that age it's quite common to apply for jobs all over the world, I know quite a few graduates who on leaving Uni apply for jobs all over the world. They want an adventure, and are not looking for the same thing that retiring expats are after at all. If they hate it they just move on or move back home, it's the freedom of youth.

Good luck but can't help with the area, I think Jacky who posts on here used to live there so she may be able to help.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:53 am
Just Joined

DianaMA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, congratulations!!! Marbella is a great place to have fun. Puerto Banus (Banus Harbour) is the party spot where you need to go. There two very popular outdoor clubs: Black Diamond, known for its pool parties and Nicky Beach, the most popular within rich people! They both worth a visit. Concerning where to live there, I'd opt for any cozy apartment in the Old Quarter. You'll have the need to drive away from time to time, because Marbella might be quite exhausting. Rent a car or check the buses to visit nearby cities: Malaga, Ronda, Gibraltar, Cadiz... I found very interesting info at <snip>.com. Have a look!

Last edited by Sue; Jul 12th 2013 at 5:42 pm. Reason: Link removed.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 7:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DianaMA
Hi, congratulations!!! Marbella is a great place to have fun. Puerto Banus (Banus Harbour) is the party spot where you need to go. There two very popular outdoor clubs: Black Diamond, known for its pool parties and Nicky Beach, the most popular within rich people! They both worth a visit. Concerning where to live there, I'd opt for any cozy apartment in the Old Quarter. You'll have the need to drive away from time to time, because Marbella might be quite exhausting. Rent a car or check the buses to visit nearby cities: Malaga, Ronda, Gibraltar, Cadiz... I found very interesting info at<snip>.com. Have a look!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old Jul 12th 2013, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

I'd stay away from the front line apartments if you want to feel like you live there and aren't on holiday. Most of those places (unless you're paying stupid money) are just setup for short term holiday lets and are awful.

As said, it kind of depends what school you're at and if you're considering driving too. If you're at the new Marbella school or Swans then you're in the middle of town so can live anywhere central. If you're talking Aloha then you'd be better in Nueva Andalucia.

I lived on Ricardo Soriano (main road through the town) for a few years and absolutely loved it. If you drive then parking is a pain so make sure if you are central that it comes with underground parking. There's no need to travel to Puerto Banus anymore unless you want any of the "super" clubs or like to mix with hen/stag dos and prostitutes. The Puerto Deportivo in town has become the new Banus for locals and over the last 6 months or so has filled with fantastic bars and has a great vibe.

You'll find cheap places up by the bullring in the North of the town and generally toward the East side of town. I'd stay away from the bullring area and anywhere around Albarizas where the feria ground is. Anywhere from the Old Town to the Golden Mile is fine - the further from the beach you go (nothing is going to be more than a 10-15 minute walk) generally the cheaper the apartment.

Public transport is excellent, you can get a direct coach to the airport from Marbella that takes 45 minutes and costs sod all. There are also local buses that take you pretty much anywhere, they're not as frequent as you'd like but it works well enough.

Last edited by ShinyAndy; Jul 12th 2013 at 9:23 am.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:20 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm see a first poster has slipped a bit of spam in

Andy is spot on, except for the buses which are usually full of tourists. There is also the English college in Elviria but rentals aren't cheap around there, a friend has let out a studio apartment to teachers from there but only on 6 month lets out of season.
Old Jul 12th 2013, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Andy is spot on
Are you feeling ok?
Old Jul 12th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

Originally Posted by orsie91

First..have the interview and see what they have to say and then
Second...if the pay and conditions are good for you then ask us

Marbella is a great place to live and work if you have sufficient funds.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

jonnybgood81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Marbella.. What's it like to live in and where would you live?

hi
my father has recently moved to puerto banus / san pedro area, he is on his own, young 68 year old, recently divorced he is looking to meet english or other expats in the area, does anyone know of any or clubs he can contact to join to increase his social circle, as he is feeling very low on his own,
please help

many thanks
Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:37 pm

Rosemary
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

orsie91. Good luck on your job application.
Marbella is a large place so you really need to visit! Someone mentioned the old quarter. Very nice indeed.
If you have a car, there is a direct road connecting Marbella with Malaga. Journey time approx 1 hour. You can drop 15 to 20 mins if you take the toll road.
During high season, set off the day before!
I´ve only lived down here for 8 months and you will find rentals in abundance! If you want to be in the richest areas you will need a good job! Otherwise, as you come along the coast towards Malaga, flats are very affordable! Approx €500 to €600 will get you something reasonable and close to the sea!
I can´t recommend going as far as Fuengirola for two reasons. First your journey time and second, I can´t stand the place!