British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Managed UK to Spain Car Registration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/managed-uk-spain-car-registration-928573/)

Dxf Nov 8th 2019 2:59 am

Re: Managed UK to Spain Car Registration

Hola
You say your headlights were "adjusted". Unless you have four headlights (two dedicated dipped and two dedicated full beam) I am surprised as I know from experience that normally you are forced to change the headlights as they dip the wrong way and the light pattern on the road is wrong. My experience is around 400 cars rematriculated in the Cádiz area around the property boom time.

Davexf

EsuriJohn Nov 8th 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12760629)
Hola
You say your headlights were "adjusted". Unless you have four headlights (two dedicated dipped and two dedicated full beam) I am surprised as I know from experience that normally you are forced to change the headlights as they dip the wrong way and the light pattern on the road is wrong. My experience is around 400 cars rematriculated in the Cádiz area around the property boom time.

Davexf

it’s my understanding that the latest luxury models with all electronic gizmos can change the dip from the steering wheel. My 2014 Alhambra has this haven’t worked out how to do it yet but I’m sure the main dealer could do it in a second.

Dxf Nov 9th 2019 6:53 am

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12760703)

it’s my understanding that the latest luxury models with all electronic gizmos can change the dip from the steering wheel. My 2014 Alhambra has this haven’t worked out how to do it yet but I’m sure the main dealer could do it in a second.

Hola
I have met many people who have said similar; they all failed the ITV rematriculation test. The gizmo you talk about is for holiday visit use only instead of putting those black sticky tape pieces on your headlights as a courtesy to other cars.

When re-matriculating you are stating that you will use the car permanently in the new country which is why they force the change of headlight. Our average car cost between 200€ and 500€ for a pattern part as opposed to manufacturers.

I restate; look at the pattern of the light on the road ahead and you will normally see a "loop" up which lights the pavement ahead further than the white line in the middle of the road.
Davexf

Barriej Nov 10th 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12760703)

I drive a 2018 Transit Connect van and it can be changed over within the lamp unit. There is no pattern on the lens, its all done on the reflector unit attached to the bulb. (so this should be a feature on most 2018 onwards Ford cars)

The quoted text comes from my local garage, i was talking to them the other day as I'm driving to France on a job early next year

Most UK cars with projector headlights can be switched from right hand drive, over to left hand drive.
Some vehicles might not need adjusting at all. Some OEM (Factory Fitted) Xenon headlights are completely flat and will not cause any hazard to oncoming traffic no matter what country you are in.
You would have to check your vehicle hand book to confirm this or contact your dealership directly.

bfg69bug Nov 18th 2019 5:51 pm

Dxf - sorry fella, the 2002 Jaguar that I did has the same switch on the dashboard, rhd/lhd - the lenses are clear, its all done inside where the reflector is.

saves a packet on the total cost if you are lucky enough to have the doodah.

only 1000€ all in, including their fee? thats very cheap! the Jaguar was nearly that, and that was 15 years old at the time. Perhaps the process has changed since I last did it.