Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Mallorca schools

Mallorca schools

Old Jun 2nd 2009, 1:37 am
Just Joined

chris5317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mallorca schools

Hi everyone my girlfriend and i are planning on relocating to Mallorca, we have two young boys 1 & 5

Would appreciate any info on schools - we checked the nabss webiste for the international schools

So far we've located the following on the web

Academy International School
Baleares International School
Bellver International College
Queens College

Does anyone have kids at any of the above schools or can recommend which of these are good, or any other schools

What region would be best to rent in for schools etc

Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:46 pm
OSN
Just Joined

OSN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mallorca schools

Hi Chris,

My kid is in the state system here, and we are very pleased with it so far, she is three and a half by the way.

Add Scal in Magaluf, King Richard college in Portals, and the new and highly rated Agora also in Portals to your list.

The Southwest region has most of the international schools, so if you don-t want a long school run, try there.

I have lots of friends who have put their kids directly into the state system here, and they have adapted very quickly...so don't directly rule that out, although some parents are not wild about the concetration on Catalan.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the info - will continue our research
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:22 pm
OSN
Just Joined

OSN is an unknown quantity at this point

You`re welcome.

While you are researching you might want to keep in touch with a couple of useful sites.

www.mallorcasolutions.com English speaking ┬┤fixers┬┤who can sort out all kinds of stuff from paper work, legal issues, to school registrations. Becky or Jackie are your contacts there.

and

www.lunaradio.fm, English language radio on Mallorca, lots of useful stuff and you can listen online from the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Masmaj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Have you chosen a school yet?
My daughter goes to a private school here in Mallorca and I've found it to be very good.
Let me know if you want any more details.

Rachael
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:12 am
Just Joined

JonnyAsh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rachael,

I am looking to move with two children aged 11&13, and would welcome any details about international schooling.

Thank you!

Jonathan
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the Catalan question puts a different angle on things, but in principle with littleys like 1 & 5 I wouldn't even consider International UNTIL/IF you decide you'd prefer them to take that route sometime three or four or however many years down the line. With the 11 & 13 yo, you may have little option because it's a big ask to take on board a new language and learn in it and prepare for exams.
Good luck both families, though.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:13 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you really have to, then go for state school. International schools are very expensive and very difficult to get out of once the kids are in and settled! Do it the other way round and if state school proves to be too much or too difficult then try International! - its not just the fees which are crippling, the uniform, the PE kit, stationary, the school books, the trips - even their annual SATs exams have to be paid for.

Jo xxxx
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:13 am
Just Joined

All the school books are free in an International school (after all you are paying enough already)! Whereas you are required to pay for all books at the state schools. Although here in the province of Calvia you do get a rebate from the council.

I decided to put my child into an international school as I wanted to make sure things would work out for me in Mallorca before considering a Spanish school. The state schools here teach about 50% of lessons in Catalan, which can be too much for a child to learn as well as Castellano unless they intend to stay long term out here.

It is also a longer and harder journey for older children adapting to another country and different education systems. My child is 8, nearly 9 and I feel she would adapt ok to a Spanish school if left in one until 16 or more. I also know someone here who started their daughter at state school aged 11 and she is happy there. Although she was held back a year, which some say is not a good thing.

The International schools here are all very different. Some cater more for the English, and some are nearly full of German children as many of the British have left. It depends greatly what suits you and your particular child.

Rachael
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help

Hi Rachel - what school is your child in if you don't mind me asking
Old Nov 11th 2009, 1:35 am
Just Joined

clariss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris5317
Hi everyone my girlfriend and i are planning on relocating to Mallorca, we have two young boys 1 & 5

Would appreciate any info on schools - we checked the nabss webiste for the international schools

So far we've located the following on the web

Academy International School
Baleares International School
Bellver International College
Queens College

Does anyone have kids at any of the above schools or can recommend which of these are good, or any other schools

What region would be best to rent in for schools etc

Thanks
Hi I worked in the Baleares International School and wouldn't recommend it, the children were awful and the staff, The Bellver International has had problems with bullying , don't know about Academy. The Queens College is very good, I've been to visit and had a few friends with kids go there. It's the most like an English school I saw, with hindsight I would have sent my daughter there, the Mallorcan schools are hit and miss, bear in mind bullying against english children is rife in the worst schools plus Mallorca will gradually be teaching practically all the lessons in Catalan its inching its way in further and further. Thats fair enough but bear in mind you won't be able to help your children with homework, my Spanish is excellent but Catalan is a completely different language. Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Well I really think it is important to go and see the schools for yourself if you have chance and get the feel for them and the lessons taught.

I know someone who recently removed their child from Queen's College as they weren't happy with it, so what suits one child may not another. Baleares International school recently started taking in more Spanish children.

Also I know plenty of British born children who go to local state schools near Santa Ponsa, and they seem to enjoy it and aren't bullied at all. They do however, have extra tuition at home, especially in Catalan.
But I hear even some of the Spanish have trouble in Catalan and need extra tuition. You must also speak Catalan to work in any public sector job here.

It is true that in recent years they are keen to use this language more, particularly as Franco tried to stop it all many years ago. Most of the older generation here don't like to speak Castellan.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:46 am
Just Joined

alexwehl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonnyAsh
Hi Rachael,

I am looking to move with two children aged 11&13, and would welcome any details about international schooling.

Thank you!

Jonathan
British school in Mallorca

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys

Read your enquiry/comments with interest.

We too are looking for a private British school in Mallorca for our son who is also 11 years old.

We are not familiar with the Island but thought we'd find the 'best' school for our son first and then check out the locality.

We will fly out in the Feb half term to look at some schools.We are thinking of moving out there end of next year if we like what we see.

I have done a little reseach on the internet and found 8 schools.

Academy
Colegio Scal
King Richard 111
Agora
Baleares
Bellver
Queens
Morna International

I've read some comments/reviews and they are mostly disappointing, at best shall we say 'mixed'.I called a couple and either they no longer exist or the websites are down. Strange!

Please let us know if you found anything of interest so far.

We would very much welcome anyone's personal experiences of these schools.

Many thanks indeed
Alex

Last edited by alexwehl; Dec 15th 2009 at 12:49 am.