British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Malaga for a new family (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/malaga-new-family-921726/)

pilki42 Feb 3rd 2019 7:53 pm

Malaga for a new family

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are looking into moving to the Malaga area for it to become our place where we will start and nurture our family. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knows the city intimately and could make a few recommendations on specific areas I should aim my Idealista search at?

Some parameters:
  • I'll be working remotely for a UK company, and heading to the UK occasionally for meetings
  • I drive, but my wife does not (so proximity to amenities and not too isolated would be useful)
  • Good schools nearby
  • Rents at a max of €1000 per month

Thanks so much!

Patrick2976 Feb 4th 2019 11:21 am

Re: Malaga for a new family

If you mean Malaga city itself rents can be very expensive in and around the old town - though it is a beautiful city centre.

If you are looking for expat areas with international schools that are not too far from the airport I would say Benalmádena/Mijas/Fuengirola would be good places to start (Marbella is a longer trip to the airport and generally more expensive). The main international schools are :BIC (Benalmádena International College), The British College (also in Benalmádena), Sunny View and St Anthony's just outside Fuengirola. If you want my personal opinion on these please feel free to PM me - I have two children in BIC.

There is an excellent train line between Fuengirola and Malaga so I would suggest trying to pick somewhere close to that (for your wife).

For €1,000 expect a 2 to 3 bed apartment or townhouse. It's difficult to find anything on the internet of quality though as demand is high and the best properties tend to go quickly. I would suggest getting on the emailing lists of local estate agencies as good properties often don't make it to the stage of being advertised.

Good luck!

pilki42 Feb 4th 2019 1:15 pm

Thanks for the input Patrick2976 !

We're not necessarily fussed about being in an expat area. My wife is Venezuelan so we'll be pretty spot on with our Spanish (Or rather, she will be...I'm trying my best to catch up! :p)

Interesting tip on the Fuengirola-Malaga line, will definitely take a look at that to see what's around.

Right in the city centre in the old town could indeed be expensive... although I think we'd happily look at anywhere within the city boundaries (which I think is the A-7 road)

What's the general vibe of the different sides of city? i.e. East v West?

Patrick2976 Feb 4th 2019 1:55 pm

Hmmm. Difficult to say - it's so subjective. However I would stay between the MA20 and the coast to the west of the city so as to avoid industrial areas and be more in the open. Anywhere around Parque Del Oeste is pretty nice. On the east side we sometimes visit El Palo which is great for inexpensive restaurants on the paseo - but that's more from a tourist perspective. My knowledge is limited of the east side and it's a lot more spread out than the west so may cause issues for your wife...?

pilki42 Feb 4th 2019 2:08 pm

Gotcha.

Yeah, looking at the map it seems like transport links might be a little bit on the weaker side on the East... so will bear that in mind.

Will check out Parque del Oeste area also! :)

Thanks so much for these amazing pointers.

Patrick2976 Feb 4th 2019 2:33 pm

You're welcome!

bfg69bug Feb 12th 2019 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick2976 (Post 12632217)
For €1,000 expect a 2 to 3 bed apartment or townhouse.

this isnt always the case. We are in Alhaurin el Grande, 20 minutes from malaga airport and we are in a 2 bed finca, on a 500m2 plot surrounded by fruit trees to all sides, and we pay 500€ a month. But we dont have a pool. In the last house we did, a 2 bed semi detached rural house, with a pool.. for 500 a month.

you have to be quick. cheap houses rent fast. Theres 556 houses for 500€ or under in the malaga region listed on think spain - 181 have a pool. theres only 89 fincas 1000€/ month or less with pools though... thats only the first website i thought of because i´ve just been advertising for staff on there. theres plenty of other websites to look at.. Some of the ones under 1000€ are absolutely stunning.

malagamark Feb 13th 2019 2:08 pm

Hi,

We moved to Malaga 15 months ago and are loving it!
We live in Pedrogalejo, an eastern beach suburb, 20mins to City centre on bus, 10 in the car.
There are lots of good schools on this side, especially in Cerrado de Calderon.
and our little one's Spanish is showing us up!

chrisjolly Feb 13th 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by pilki42 (Post 12631818)
Hi everyone!

My wife and I are looking into moving to the Malaga area for it to become our place where we will start and nurture our family. With that in mind, I was wondering if anyone knows the city intimately and could make a few recommendations on specific areas I should aim my Idealista search at?

Some parameters:
  • I'll be working remotely for a UK company, and heading to the UK occasionally for meetings
  • I drive, but my wife does not (so proximity to amenities and not too isolated would be useful)
  • Good schools nearby
  • Rents at a max of €1000 per month

Thanks so much!

Good to hear from you and first of all try to plan a trip here to check the city as websites like Idealista are of little use. I see this so many times on the Forum where people start by checking out the websites then not getting anywhere.The only way is to come and see for yourself. Its a big decision and one to be made with as much information as possible. That means talking to people and getting a feel of the place. Like all Spanish cities there are interesting and bustling parts and also run down parts where the housing is poor. You need to see with your own eyes. Its a beautiful city and the area is lovely either west or east. Good luck.

CdS Fox Feb 17th 2019 9:49 am

Just arrived back from a stay in Benalmádena on a fact finding mission up and down the coast from Málaga to Fuengirola.
I have to agree, if your wife doesn't drive, then west of Málaga out to Fuengirola is all easily accessible by the 'new' Renfe train. It's cheap, clean and frequent and makes getting about a doddle.
Maria Zambrano Station (Central Málaga and nationwide connections) was about 30mins and €5.50 refurn from Benalmádena Arroyo.

bfg69bug Mar 5th 2019 6:04 am

Originally Posted by malagamark (Post 12636547)
Hi,

We moved to Malaga 15 months ago and are loving it!
We live in Pedrogalejo, an eastern beach suburb, 20mins to City centre on bus, 10 in the car.
There are lots of good schools on this side, especially in Cerrado de Calderon.
and our little one's Spanish is showing us up!

lovely area. good choice! .. not "cheap".. but it depends what you are looking for. https://www.indomio.es/alquiler-casa...BwE&ordine=asc