British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Malaga Airport Security and Lifejackets (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/malaga-airport-security-lifejackets-818021/)

Quimby Dec 16th 2013 6:28 pm

Malaga Airport Security and Lifejackets

1 Attachment(s)
After travelling from Bristol to Torrevieja to move a yacht, we had hand luggage only, which included life jackets for each of the 3 of us No problem at Bristol security.
2 left via Malaga and encountered problems at the security desk who refused to let the life jackets through even though they had been to Ryanair and had a date stamped copy of the goods that can be carried in hand luggage! After they had argued their case with Civil Gaurdia they were allowed to go through with their life jackets.

I was due to leave a few days later and their experience was relayed by text to me.

I was most positively told under no circumstances whatsoever would I be allowed to take my Life Jacket through! I also got the Civil Guardia involved and explained what had occurred a few days earlier to be told " Not possible ,did not happen"My jacket had the CO2 cartridge inside the membrane and cannot be removed without special tools but could undo through the membrane to make it unarmed.The spare CO2 cartridge was confiscated but I was`nt going to give up my £250 lifejacket without a fight! I said "what about my Life jacket" "Put it in your bag", was the reply
On returning to Bristol I emailed my concern to the Airport authorities at Malaga then after sending an email to the Minister of the Interior I received the email that follows. Such beaurocratic inconsistancy must drive you mad
Open PDF file for the email.I must say although our discussion was heated we parted with smiles and good wishes from the Chief of Civil Guardia.

Rosemary Dec 16th 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Malaga Airport Security and Lifejackets

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Longlegpete Dec 17th 2013 7:01 am

Don't think things like this are just a Spanish problem, we have on a number of occasions been stopped at gatwick over taking things through that are seen as a security threat that have not caused problems other times, last one a few weeks ago was a retractable washing line, we rent our house out in summer and they are always braking them, taken them before and always take them out the case and put into a tray as they have a big metal clamp and this will cause a bag search if left in the bag, last time head of security was called as it could be used to tie someone up, ok in the end but took 15mins of wrangling, had the same with cable ties in the past without success

Have also found that contacting the airline in advance doesn't work, they may tell you something is ok but at the end of the day it's not up to them, they have nothing to do with security at the airport and once you are air side the airline don't check the bags, if we are unsure we contact the airport for clarification, in fact gatwick answer there emails within 5mins even at midnight, am out again tomorrow and have just had a reply re low energy bulbs in hand luggage, seams they are ok so we will see

fionamw Dec 17th 2013 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11040873)
(snip) we will see

You're obviously taking the trouble to communicate with airports... maybe you'll know the conclusive answer to a perennial question (a tad off topic I grant you, though not much !) Whose decision is it what size bags go as hand luggage? I imagine it is the airlines but am confused, as are lots of budget airline passengers. Has that one come up in your correspondence with them? ;)

stuart from barnsley Dec 17th 2013 7:16 am

Why would you want to take low energy bulbs to Spain,or even a washing line?

Longlegpete Dec 17th 2013 7:28 am

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 11040892)
You're obviously taking the trouble to communicate with airports... maybe you'll know the conclusive answer to a perennial question (a tad off topic I grant you, though not much !) Whose decision is it what size bags go as hand luggage? I imagine it is the airlines but am confused, as are lots of budget airline passengers. Has that one come up in your correspondence with them? ;)

That's down to the airline, they may weigh your bag if they have limits and check the size, there is a standard hand luggage size but airlines have there own take on it and that's up to them, obviously you are not going to get a suitcase through the scanner or airline with carry on, one of my friends is also back and forth a lot with Monarch and they have started checking the carry on bags for there 10kg limit, standard is 5kg but you get more with a frequent flyer type card, he's never had it before but maybe he's been lucky and they have always done it

Quimby Dec 17th 2013 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Longlegpete (Post 11040873)
Don't think things like this are just a Spanish problem, we have on a number of occasions been stopped at gatwick over taking things through that are seen as a security threat that have not caused problems other times, last one a few weeks ago was a retractable washing line, we rent our house out in summer and they are always braking them, taken them before and always take them out the case and put into a tray as they have a big metal clamp and this will cause a bag search if left in the bag, last time head of security was called as it could be used to tie someone up, ok in the end but took 15mins of wrangling, had the same with cable ties in the past without success

Have also found that contacting the airline in advance doesn't work, they may tell you something is ok but at the end of the day it's not up to them, they have nothing to do with security at the airport and once you are air side the airline don't check the bags, if we are unsure we contact the airport for clarification, in fact gatwick answer there emails within 5mins even at midnight, am out again tomorrow and have just had a reply re low energy bulbs in hand luggage, seams they are ok so we will see

The result for Spanish Airports is that they are now aware that Life Jackets and CO2 cartridges are allowed through............ for Ryanair passengers.

Longlegpete Dec 17th 2013 7:51 am

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley (Post 11040894)
Why would you want to take low energy bulbs to Spain,or even a washing line?

Good question, the washing line is a cassette type, if I take the same one I know the holes will line up on the bracket, never seen the same one in Spain, as for low energy bulbs it's a dawn till dusk type, I was over a few weeks ago and spent too much of a day (it was raining) looking for one near me, the only place I could find wanted €18 for one, they are £5 in the UK, as for normal low energy there is no reason any more, I can remember not long ago you could get them in the UK at 3 for a pound in Supermarkets, government has removed the subsidy now and the price has come down in Spain so are about the same

crookesey Dec 17th 2013 8:01 am

On our last couple of Jet2 flights from Manchester to Malaga, the flight check in guys have all but begged us to check our hand baggage into the hold free of charge. This all comes from OTT baggage charges, we now only check in 1 bag and carry on 2, we are only human where cost is concerned, but contribute to the excess of hand baggage taken on board.

Longlegpete Dec 17th 2013 8:35 am

Originally Posted by crookesey (Post 11040947)
On our last couple of Jet2 flights from Manchester to Malaga, the flight check in guys have all but begged us to check our hand baggage into the hold free of charge. This all comes from OTT baggage charges, we now only check in 1 bag and carry on 2, we are only human where cost is concerned, but contribute to the excess of hand baggage taken on board.

It would seam a lot of airlines are doing this, the check in baggage is getting expensive so it's only normal people will do the same as you, what is the really annoying is they insist on charging more and more for check in bags and on the other hand are pleading with people to put more in the hold free of charge, we used to use easy jet a lot and when hold bags were £15 for 20kg we would take one carry on with laptops etc and put one in the hold, since prices have gone up we never take hold luggage only carry on which of course means an extra bag to stow