British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Malaga Airport - Places to Eat? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/malaga-airport-places-eat-797360/)

Chiclanagir May 17th 2013 5:54 pm

Malaga Airport - Places to Eat?

I am dropping my daughter off and picking my son up on the same day. There will be about 3hrs in between around lunchtime any ideas where my son could go for lunch but not get lost!!!

Fred James May 17th 2013 6:14 pm

Re: Malaga Airport - Places to Eat?

I have heard that the restaurant in Makro is quite good and just down the road.

Lynn R May 17th 2013 6:32 pm

The Plaza Mayor shopping complex is just one stop away by train from the airport (take the train in the direction of Fuengirola) and there are quite a few (mostly fast food type) restaurants there. Nothing to gaze at in wonder, but a bit more to look at and pass the time than Makro, maybe.

Fred James May 17th 2013 6:41 pm

Of course there is always the Ikea restaurant!

jackytoo May 17th 2013 9:34 pm

The best place is the little pueblo of San Julián which is the nearest place to the terminal. many of the airport workers live there. There are a few places to eat but as you drive in there is a typical venta on the left, grape vines over he terrace outside. Food is ok.too. You can get to it opposite the San Miguel factory.

Countryboy1 May 17th 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 10713120)
The best place is the little pueblo of San Julián which is the nearest place to the terminal. many of the airport workers live there. There are a few places to eat but as you drive in there is a typical venta on the left, grape vines over he terrace outside. Food is ok.too. You can get to it opposite the San Miguel factory.

Avoid 'Spanish' restaurants. Invariably no fresh vegetables. Most served out of a jar and re-heated. That's why, other than Tapas, Spanish 'cuisine' is non-existent!
When, in the rest of the world, do you ever hear of anyone going out to a restaurant serving Spanish food?

jonboy May 17th 2013 10:08 pm

Hi Chiclanagir
How about take your daughter to the airport 3 hours earlier and that way you could pick up your son at the same time?
How old/able is your son, if he is prone to getting lost? He could just stay at the airport, far safer I would have thought.
Your post just seems a bit strange.

jackytoo May 17th 2013 10:10 pm

Well usually I would agree but assuming it is daytime you can get some very nice chicken dishes and good tapas. beats Ikea horsemeat balls any day:rofl: I like my fresh veg but can manage without them now and then:D

cricketman May 17th 2013 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Biffta (Post 10713141)
Avoid 'Spanish' restaurants. Invariably no fresh vegetables. Most served out of a jar and re-heated. That's why, other than Tapas, Spanish 'cuisine' is non-existent!

:rofl:

Ignorant comment of the day award, well done

You must be so proud about knowing nothing about the country you live in

Countryboy1 May 18th 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10713206)
:rofl:

Ignorant comment of the day award, well done

You must be so proud about knowing nothing about the country you live in

You may well be correct, but I can only speak from personal experience. I've lost count of the number of restaurants I've visited where fresh vegetables seem an alien concept. In view of the wonderful fresh and wide ranging produce available, few of these make their way to the table. What else do they have to offer? Paella & Tapas! I've had some of the worst so-called Paellas here in Spain.
Finally, when do you last hear the phrase "My favourite type of food is Spanish"?
I presume I now get two awards - one for yesterday and another for today?

olivefarmer May 18th 2013 10:37 am

It is a bit off topic but our Spanish neighbour went to London and "nearly starved, couldn't find any decent food". I still find that so funny after all these years.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Chiclanagir May 18th 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 10713152)
Hi Chiclanagir
How about take your daughter to the airport 3 hours earlier and that way you could pick up your son at the same time?
How old/able is your son, if he is prone to getting lost? He could just stay at the airport, far safer I would have thought.
Your post just seems a bit strange.

Why is it strange??? Adult son. If I take my daughter to the airport 3 hrs earlier then she has to wait 5 hrs for her flight not very fair for a pregnant lady with two small children. Easier for son to hang around and as he obviously has no car needs somewhere near the airport rather than just waiting there. The best idea that has come up is the train to Fuengirola. Anyone know how long that would take?

bobd22 May 18th 2013 12:56 pm

Why all the way to Fuengirola he could get the same train to Benalmadena about 10 mins if memory serves me right.

Lynn R May 18th 2013 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10713686)
Why is it strange??? Adult son. If I take my daughter to the airport 3 hrs earlier then she has to wait 5 hrs for her flight not very fair for a pregnant lady with two small children. Easier for son to hang around and as he obviously has no car needs somewhere near the airport rather than just waiting there. The best idea that has come up is the train to Fuengirola. Anyone know how long that would take?

I mentioned the train from the Airport to Fuengirola in connection with going just one stop to the Plaza Mayor shopping complex where there are restaurants, but he could continue on to Benalmadena or Fuengirola instead. The trains run every 20 minutes and apparently the journey time to Fuengirola is 34 minutes, see here for more info:

http://www.gomarbella.com/malaga-air...timetables.htm

bobd22 May 18th 2013 1:37 pm

I used the train many years ago when I holidayed in Benalmadena and found it great. I have also visted Plaza Mayor with friends and agree that although plenty of eating places not much to occupy an adult male if he is anything like me shops is the last thing he wants to do!