Reload this Page >

Making the Break! Eeek

Making the Break! Eeek

Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

evacuateuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Making the Break! Eeek

Hi There,

I'll apologise up-front if I'm repeating anything that has previously been covered, but it looks like our move out to Spain is seriously becoming a reality :scared:

We are now starting to realise the vast number of things we simply haven't thought of before, so I'm sure I will ask a dozen more questions but for starters, can anyone help me with these: Firstly, we have two cats we want to bring with us. I have made investigations on the Pet Passport scheme and I think we have all that in hand but, what is the best way to physically transport them over? Flying might be more traumatic but also a lot quicker. Do you have to fly with them or is there a company maybe that transports them over and then you collect them at the other end? Anyone with any experience on this matter I would be grateful to hear from. Secondly, we have the average contents of a three bedroomed semi, nothing too special, we are planning to buy a property of say, similar or bit larger size in Spain as we are hoping to run a B&B. What opinions would anyone have regarding whether to ship over the contents of our home, or try to sell it off and buy new in Spain? My thoughts are that to ship over what we have would probably be the simplest way, as all the trouble involved in trying to get rid of everything here and then having to find it all to buy again in Spain does seem a lot of hard work. Lastly (for the mo anyway ) my car, if I sold it here I probably would not get anything for it, but its not a bad runner and suits me. Is it cheaper to bring it over or to get rid a buy over in Spain? Any thoughts from anyone who has done either would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2005, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice
Default Re: Making the Break! Eeek

Originally Posted by evacuateuk
Hi There,

I'll apologise up-front if I'm repeating anything that has previously been covered, but it looks like our move out to Spain is seriously becoming a reality :scared:

We are now starting to realise the vast number of things we simply haven't thought of before, so I'm sure I will ask a dozen more questions but for starters, can anyone help me with these: Firstly, we have two cats we want to bring with us. I have made investigations on the Pet Passport scheme and I think we have all that in hand but, what is the best way to physically transport them over? Flying might be more traumatic but also a lot quicker. Do you have to fly with them or is there a company maybe that transports them over and then you collect them at the other end? Anyone with any experience on this matter I would be grateful to hear from. Secondly, we have the average contents of a three bedroomed semi, nothing too special, we are planning to buy a property of say, similar or bit larger size in Spain as we are hoping to run a B&B. What opinions would anyone have regarding whether to ship over the contents of our home, or try to sell it off and buy new in Spain? My thoughts are that to ship over what we have would probably be the simplest way, as all the trouble involved in trying to get rid of everything here and then having to find it all to buy again in Spain does seem a lot of hard work. Lastly (for the mo anyway ) my car, if I sold it here I probably would not get anything for it, but its not a bad runner and suits me. Is it cheaper to bring it over or to get rid a buy over in Spain? Any thoughts from anyone who has done either would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
I think you'll find it much easier to get rid of stuff you don't want in the UK. Unless you're going to an area where you're likely to find someone wanting a car to bring back to the UK, I'd suggest getting rid of the car there. Having bought one in Spain, we were able to use ours to travel back to the UK by ferry and sell it on one of our last trips. Do it now at your leisure and the better price will cover the expense of paying a bit more for transport without the the car.

Anything you might use, ship over. If you've got to ship, then a few extra items aren't going to cost much more and it will save the hassle of replacing them on arrival.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

When we moved to Spain just over two years ago we brought our four cats with us< we ensured they had their pet passports etc and placed them into the plastic pet carriers and they were treated as hand luggage and put into the hold of the aircraft, they were given a knockout drop by the vet, but seemed not to have suffered at all.

I enclose some government advice for you concerning pet importation.

IMPORTATION OF PETS

There are specific rules for different kinds of pets. In general, pets may be imported to Spain if they are accompanied by their owners or their representative and a certificate of origin and health (if they are more than three months old). These are valid for ten days only, and must state that the pet has been under the owner's supervision for three months before being imported, and should include a declaration that the pet is not intended for trade. In the case of dogs, the certificate must show that the pet has had valid anti-rabies inoculation in the last twelve months (six in some cases). Certificates should be obtained from the nearest Animal Health Divisional Office in England. A full list of these offices is available by calling 08459 335 577, and at www.defra.gov.uk

Birds, monkeys and other species will need a certificate stating that there has been no local outbreak of disease that would affect the species for the last 60 days. For more advice please contact the nearest Spanish Consulate.

Owners who intend to take their pets back to England must comply with the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS), for their pet to be able to enter the UK without going into quarantine. For information on PETS, see www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm.

As for your car I would get rid of it asap and buy from a dealer here in Spain, the second hand cars here are good qulity and reasonable priced. As for the furnishings of your house only keep things that you think are inportant to you and the family, you can buy furniture packs in Spain for each and every room. Leave any English electrial equipment in the UK as the current here is 220V's and that can vary at differing times during the day, and will blow the transformer within four to five months.

I do hope this information helps you in your quest and I wish you good luck in your new venture in Spain.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks to you Coralsoft and Country Boy for your replies. I really appreciate hearing from people who have already done this and so can hopefully guide us along. There is so much information about, that its so hard to know where to start!

Do either of you work now you are in Spain?

Janet
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:45 pm
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Look in www.britishexpat.com (in-country expert section). Diifferent forum to this one. There is a thread there called Pet Relocation during the last few weeks which gives loads of information. Someone is going on the Santander ferry with their animals (special deck available) on 24th April and has promised to put a reply on to let people know how they get on. There are companies who will travel with the pets but presumably that is costly. I believe the pets come off on the luggage carousel with the suitcases. Someone has said that it costs around £360 per cat to fly them out. We have five to take out and will try and put two in two boxes and one on his own but that's still £1000 plus. We are thinking we will use the Santander ferry and then there is a much shorter then through Spain down to Costa Blanca. We drove down to Costa Almeria with 3 taking turns to drive and it took us 2 and a half days without stopping for anything other than toilet stops and the odd snack.

Gill
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

The Santander crossing seems like a longer way of getting to Spain but it really is not.
I make the journey through France into Spain fron either St Malo or Caen @7 times a year and use the Plymouth > Santander crossing @8 times a year.

The drive through France is by far more tiring than the crossing from Plymouth.

Moreover the 'Pont Avon' (the boat Brittany Ferries use on the Santander crossing) is very nice. The food is good and there is plenty to do. I'd recommend making sure you get a cabin with a window though. Whatever the upgrade fee is - pay it ! The boat is also clean with great showers in the rooms.

I appreciate my reply does not help with regards to the pet issue but hopefully it will help you come to a decision with regards which way to go.

If you need any help planning the best route through Spain (or indeed France) then please feel free to email me.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

That santander ferry is expensive though isn't it?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

True, its not cheap but it looks a whole lot more affordable once the cost of fuel, tolls, and hotel accomodation through France is taken into account......
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Gosh thanks for all your replies. You've been really helpfull. Thanks Gill re the pet transportation issue. I checked out that other site, too and found quite a lot of useful information.

Thanks also to fesuvious, regarding the Santanda ferry. I have checked that out too and I don't think it would be too expensive, especially if we transport our cats over at the same time. I think the airlines were quoting around £350 for each cat whereas the ferry charges £15!!

You've certainly given us lots of information to be getting on with. Can't wait to get started!!
janet
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fesuvious
If you need any help planning the best route through Spain (or indeed France) then please feel free to email me.

PS I will definitely take you up on this offer once I know exactly where were going, thanks!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:02 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I think the airlines were quoting around £350 for each cat whereas the ferry charges £15!!

You've certainly given us lots of information to be getting on with. Can't wait to get started!!
janet
That's got to be with the cats going as cargo. They should be billed as excess luggage and charged accordingly. I paid about 75 euros for each of my cats to go to Spain and only $100 for each to go to the US.

NOTE... One posted mentioned sedation. DO NOT SEDATE CATS WHEN FLYING. It can kill them. They'll be fine without it.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Richb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the airlines were quoting around £350 for each cat
Hmmm that seems way expensive.
Our 2 cats came with us from the UK via a few years in Belgium.
It cost me a small fortune for the pet passports with the microchip, jabs, passports, etc.
But the cost of flying them was minimal, about 50 euro per cat.

Remember you will need to visit the vets 10 days before transporting your cats for a final checkup...
The worst EU country for allowing in pets is by far the UK, you should have no problems on the Spanish side, particularly if they know the cats are from such a strict country when it come to pets & travel.
The problems arrise when returning to the UK, if your not planning on returning for the next 3 years then everything will be fine.
If you could well be returning, make sure your vet checks & double checks every last detail on the passports and corresponding innoculation forms etc.
One silly mistake on their part can result in weeks of quarantine at the UK border control.

Oh and yes I agree...never sedate cats who are flying.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud ofsunnydays has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fesuvious
True, its not cheap but it looks a whole lot more affordable once the cost of fuel, tolls, and hotel accomodation through France is taken into account......
We do Caen to Puerto De STA Maria in 21 hours with our Belingo. Nibble stops and stretch legs to keep us going. The ferry at Caen though is not very easy to find and the roads near Le Mans are a bit tricky. Maybe the St Malo ferry to Portsmouth is better. The overnight time is longer on this boat too which allows you to get more rest for the long journey south. Prices look very similar to the Caen crossing. On the map, the approach to St Malo looks easier by motorway.
Diesel is much cheaper on the continent....shame about the tolls but couldn't do the trip without motorways. Another thing with toll roads is that there are always petrol stations open for fuel or refreshment 7/24.....or a nap in the carpark! Took a wrong turn in Bordeaux once and became low on fuel, the French garages don't stay open much after 6 pm....we got lucky?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

The Santander Ferry is very good.

Although based for dogs, the poop and scoop deck will allow cats if you ask nicely once on board - telesales and everyone before you get onboard will say leave the cats in the car.

Our cat quite enjoyed it... well perhaps he didn't as he didn't do any bodily functions for 48 hours

The dog deck is good. Gets a bit slippery from sea spray and dog pee.. when the wind gets up you get rained on with a mixture of both.

You get special "pets owner only" access to the deck so you can go up as often as you like.

Quite an experience for us as our dog is a right 'scrag bag' and some people are very obsessed about their dogs. "Marmeduke and Arthur are experienced travellers you know........" , etc etc.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:47 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
The Santander Ferry is very good.

Although based for dogs, the poop and scoop deck will allow cats if you ask nicely once on board - telesales and everyone before you get onboard will say leave the cats in the car.

Our cat quite enjoyed it... well perhaps he didn't as he didn't do any bodily functions for 48 hours

The dog deck is good. Gets a bit slippery from sea spray and dog pee.. when the wind gets up you get rained on with a mixture of both.

You get special "pets owner only" access to the deck so you can go up as often as you like.

Quite an experience for us as our dog is a right 'scrag bag' and some people are very obsessed about their dogs. "Marmeduke and Arthur are experienced travellers you know........" , etc etc.

Sounds like my idea of a nightmare, a rough sea ferry, scraping up dog doo's and getting covered in yellow rain

We flew our two cats, they are the most nervous passengers ever, as soon as they see the cat travel baskets they find the nearest corner and cower away...then it's an hours job to catch them.

Once in the basket one usually has a number 2 in the first 3 minutes and the other is usually sick as soon as placed in the car. And that's even if we miss their meal to try and save on stomach content

Once at the airport it becomes even worse, one of them looks like she's just died and foams at the mouth....silly thing is, once they arrive at the destination and are let out they act as if nothing happend ?

Stoopid creatures