Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Madrid v Barcelona - another slant

Madrid v Barcelona - another slant

Old May 2nd 2011, 8:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madrid v Barcelona - another slant

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ultural-rivals

Nationalism is beginning to put foreigners off, says Louis-Charles Tiar – the publisher of both Madriz and sister publication Barcelonés. "That kids are forced to learn Catalan at school is becoming a deal-breaker for people choosing between the two cities," he says.

Tiar compares it to Canada, where Montreal lost its role as cultural capital because it got too caught up in its identity as capital of French-speaking Quebec.

Other factors are at work. Barcelona was once Spain's commercial powerhouse, but that role has now been taken by Madrid, home to the biggest banks and the head offices of most of Spain's thrusting new multinationals.

Spain's high-speed AVE rail network, meanwhile, begins and ends in Madrid – linking it to Seville, Málaga, Valencia and, eventually, most of Spain. Barcelona is connected only to Madrid – although lines will eventually go north and south.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:40 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madrid v Barcelona - another slant

An interesting perspective but some things never change.
The rivalry,disaffection,call it what you will actually goes way,way back long before Francos time and the civil war,....maybe even before Columbuses time.

Speaking of which now here's an interesting tale.

Columbus was actually born in a Northern suburb of Barcelona, something thats only been discovered or proven in recent years after quite a lot of research of various kinds including DNA testing.
When he went to the Queen to request the commision for his expeditions, he knew there was no way he would have been considered had he admitted to his origins, as they were actually at war with each other even way back then, and consequently he invented his tale about coming from Genoa which was recently proved to be totally false in further research and tests associated with those I mentioned above.

As I said,some things never change.
Old May 3rd 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
here's an interesting tale.

Columbus was actually born in a Northern suburb of Barcelona, something thats only been discovered or proven in recent years after quite a lot of research of various kinds including DNA testing.
Have you told wikipedia?
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...opher_Columbus
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:44 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Interesting, seems they haven't caught up with it.
What were believed to be his ancestors in Genoa were DNA tested as I mentioned earlier and ruled out of the equation.
Also the various documents he left behind suggested he was not at all familiar with Genoa, but mostly written in his local tongue and dialect.
It is also thought but not proven that he may actually have fought with the Catalan navy against the Castillians in earlier years.
Its a fascinating subject, especially in view of the fact that several other countries also lay claim to be the birthplace of Colombus, and I certainly don't claim to have all the answers.
However I did follow much of the research that was being carried out about three years or so ago.
Old May 3rd 2011, 1:21 pm
Banned

PeteD540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've been to Barcelona a number of times and loved it there - lots of culture, the beach and the restaurants/tapas bars and great people. But work took me to Madrid (from the UK) so, for me, from the point of view of an ex-pat, Madrid is the business capital and it does have a fantastic infrastructure and good rail / transport links to the rest of Spain. Rather unexpectedly, I have grown to love Madrid in a relatively short space of time. I'm sure other Brits will do too.
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeteD540
I've been to Barcelona a number of times and loved it there - lots of culture, the beach and the restaurants/tapas bars and great people. But work took me to Madrid (from the UK) so, for me, from the point of view of an ex-pat, Madrid is the business capital and it does have a fantastic infrastructure and good rail / transport links to the rest of Spain. Rather unexpectedly, I have grown to love Madrid in a relatively short space of time. I'm sure other Brits will do too.
Well I too love Madrid, but I can understand (to an extent) the appeal of Barcelona to Brits - its proximity to the coast, the scenic hills, the architecture. I suppose it's also handier if you want to nip into France. But it did feel a far more expensive city, and plenty on these boards have complained about low wages there. Good place for Cava-drinkers though!
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Well I too love Madrid, but I can understand (to an extent) the appeal of Barcelona to Brits - its proximity to the coast, the scenic hills, the architecture. I suppose it's also handier if you want to nip into France.
and why on earth would we want to do that?
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:34 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
An interesting perspective but some things never change.
The rivalry,disaffection,call it what you will actually goes way,way back long before Francos time and the civil war,....maybe even before Columbuses time.

As I said,some things never change.
Um, I think the situation was different back then in the time of Columbus. Iberia had been composed of different kingdoms, and it was only the marriage of Isabella of Castile and Leon, to Ferdinand of Aragon (which governed Catalunya) that led to Spain as it's known today.
Madrid itself didn't even become capital until 1561, so I realy doubt there was much rivalry, if any, between the two cities in the time of Columbus (1451-1506).
Old May 3rd 2011, 3:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by ameliapond
and why on earth would we want to do that?
To eat a decent croissant maybe?
Old May 3rd 2011, 4:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

To eat a decent croissant maybe?
Can one still buy good ones in France? When we lived in Sussex we hopped over the Channel regularly and the bread and croissants seemed to go downhill with every trip until eventually they were the same quality as Tescos and we stopped buying them. I know that the making of good quality croissants is time consuming and expensive but it appears that everywhere quality is being reduced to second place behind cost. I do hope that I am wrong and that travelling to the day trippers part of France was the reason behind the demise. I even have the impression that the USA is the last bastion of sourdough bread.
Sorry I am pulling it off topic.

Graham.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 3rd 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:14 pm
On the road again.

Um, I think the situation was different back then in the time of Columbus. Iberia had been composed of different kingdoms, and it was only the marriage of Isabella of Castile and Leon, to Ferdinand of Aragon (which governed Catalunya) that led to Spain as it's known today.
Madrid itself didn't even become capital until 1561, so I realy doubt there was much rivalry, if any, between the two cities in the time of Columbus (1451-1506).
The two kingdoms, different areas,or independant countries as some of them would prefer to be now, were actually at war with each other back then, so I would say that rivalry was something of an understatement.