Madrid

Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Madrid

I am considering a few days in Madid between the 5th and 10th of December.

However I am aware that there are a couple of Fiestas at that time.

Does anyone know or have a link that will list the opening hours of tourist attractions for that period?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 9:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Madrid

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
I am considering a few days in Madid between the 5th and 10th of December.

However I am aware that there are a couple of Fiestas at that time.

Does anyone know or have a link that will list the opening hours of tourist attractions for that period?
this seems to have quite a bit of info on it

http://madrid.fiestas.net/
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

For general info on Madrid, Madridman has a fairly comprehensive site. The forum is useful for opinions of hotels etc.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
this seems to have quite a bit of info on it

http://madrid.fiestas.net/
Hi lynnxa

Perhaps I am using the wrong term ( Fiesta / bank holiday ? ) that site does not list the 6th & 8th of December ( except in outlying towns ) which are national holidays.

I don't want to end up in Madrid when it's closed
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by agoreira
For general info on Madrid, Madridman has a fairly comprehensive site. The forum is useful for opinions of hotels etc.
Thanks agoreira that's a useful site with information as below.

Useful Info: Prado & Casón del Buen Retiro
Hours

OPEN: Tuesday to Sunday, from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
OPEN: Holidays, 24th and 31st December: 9:00-2:00pm
CLOSED: Mondays, 1st January, 1st May, 25th December, Easter Friday
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:38 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Take some warm clothes if you're in Madrid in December. It's not always cold - sometimes there's a nice balmy spell if the wind's from the south - but snow is not unknown then! Even on a sunny day, the drop in temperature when the sun goes down is quite severe.
I've spent a few Decembers in Madrid (either working, or on a couple of occasions doing courses) and if memory serves me right, one of the two holidays (6 and 8th December) is taken quite seriously, with a lot of shops (including El Corte Ingles) and bars etc closing. Trouble is, I'm not 100% sure which one it was - I think it was the first (ie 6th) but as always, my memory could be tricking me. Maybe MadridBoy can help out here?

If you check on this Notes from Spain forum, there are a lot more members who live/work in Madrid, and they may be able to help

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Oct 31st 2010 at 10:41 am.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:51 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

PS: If you're doing Xmas shopping be warned places like the Sol area and calle Fuencarral get extremely packed (a bit like Oxford Street London). For me it's not a nice experience, better to go to a shopping centre like the one near Barrio del Pilar. Make sure that pickpockets have no chance to steal your wallet - if you're not used to big cities you may be caught off-guard. When eating/drinking in central places always keep an eye on your bag etc. I've known people have their bags taken without their knowing in central Madrid (it happens in London too, but to a lesser extent), so stay alert!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:47 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by agoreira
Another useful site in English http://mapmagazine.com/ although the eight rooftop hotspots are probably not so hot in winter!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

alig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant futurealig2010 has a brilliant future

Hi Fred,

Here are a couple of links to some info that will be in English for you.

http://www.esmadrid.org/en/portal.do

http://www.madrid-guide-spain.com/madrid-fiestas.html

http://madrid.angloinfo.com/informat...atsontoday.asp is an excellent guide to what's on each day - and when certain exhibitions end - with links to each of the gallery sites.

Apart from the MAJOR holidays (Xmas etc) many galleries will be open on festival days - indeed some of them are even free if you are willing to brave the queues. My best advice would be to go to the individual sites for the ones you are thinking of visiting. If it is open on the 8th the Royal Palace has free entry on Wednesday afternoons for EU citizens so carry your passport if you go.

Although it will be a bit like a bank holiday weekend for shops and businesses - you should be OK if you are in the tourist area as far as getting something to eat and drink.

If I recall from last year, yes it is a bit quieter than usual because it can be taken as a long weekend and the locals leave the city if at all possible.

I would say that it depends on what you want to do how much it would affect you.

If you get a chance to visit Toledo and the cathedral there it is well worth the day trip - but buy your train ticket at least the day before.

Madrid is beautiful at that time of year with all the Christmal lights etc.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to all for the replies, very helpful
Old Nov 1st 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

If you check on this Notes from Spain forum, there are a lot more members who live/work in Madrid, and they may be able to help
Might be worth a shot, although NFS seems to be dying on it's feet. It used to be quite a busy site, but the forums are extremely quiet, and Ben and Marina, the owners, seem to almost have deserted the site. Ben pops in ocassionally now, leaves the odd post, but there doesn't seem to be much new going on at all.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 11:41 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Every year our local CAM bank produce a free calendar which identifies the local and national holidays. I guess they will have similar in Madrid?