Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Míriam González

Míriam González

Old May 16th 2010, 9:22 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Míriam González

I have two surnames which I have used all the time. Most just hyphanate them.
Old May 16th 2010, 10:06 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have two surnames which I have used all the time. Most just hyphanate them.
Most people recognise British Surnames, but with foreign one it seem more difficult.

Everyone one knows Ponsonby-Smythe is double barreled. So there would be less of a problem with British ones.

The same thing happens in Spain with the British, if someone is called James Terence Ellis, they are usually called James Terence, when visiting the hospital etc.

When they are called (wrongly by their second name not a surname) very few even question where the surname has gone.

We did the same only in reverse, it is not so difficult to understand.

So if that happens in Spain today with all the foreigners that are around, you can understand why there was confustion all those years ago.
Old May 16th 2010, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The second surname is only preserved for one more generation, ie Grandchildren, then the maternal ones are lost anyway.

I only use one surname, not only does it UK not require a second surname, it is almost impossible to keep it, as we have found out over the years.
Same here, no one asks you for your second last name so I got it shortened on my Social Security card. If I moved back to Puerto Rico, I would have to change my name again to include the maternal last name.

Originally Posted by JLFS
Most people recognise British Surnames, but with foreign one it seem more difficult.

Everyone one knows Ponsonby-Smythe is double barreled. So there would be less of a problem with British ones.

The same thing happens in Spain with the British, if someone is called James Terence Ellis, they are usually called James Terence, when visiting the hospital etc.

When they are called (wrongly by their second name not a surname) very few even question where the surname has gone.

We did the same only in reverse, it is not so difficult to understand.

So if that happens in Spain today with all the foreigners that are around, you can understand why there was confustion all those years ago.
So only non-Spanish and Hispanics get called with one last name at the hospital?
Old May 16th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody would ever find me in the phone book because I'm in under my middle name rather than my surname.
Old May 16th 2010, 6:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Same here, no one asks you for your second last name so I got it shortened on my Social Security card. If I moved back to Puerto Rico, I would have to change my name again to include the maternal last name.

So only non-Spanish and Hispanics get called with one last name at the hospital?
I should think that the USA in more enlightened, with there being more immigrants from the 4 corners of the earth.
I am not sure that you understood my last post, here goes again.

In the Spainish hospitals they sometimes call out the first 2 names which if you have a middle name can be confusing.

If your name is Robert John Jones for example, they presume that Roger is your christian name and that John is your first surname and that Jones is your second surname.

So they call you Robert John, they omit the Jones, which happens all the time with the British.

Same problem in reverse in the UK. Francisco Javier Fernandez Gomez, is read as Francisco Gomez, the main surname ie Fernandez gets lost as they presume it is a middle name. I have seen letters addressed to FJF GOMEZ

So instead of ending up with our mothers surname as our only surname it is better to drop it.

It may, to some sound easy to keep both surnames but it is not quite so simple in practice

The doubled barrelled folks in the UK are in the minority, but usually manage to keep them both, maybe because it is not the norm so people realise that it is important for the person concerned otherwise they would not have bothered with 2 surnames.

A lot of folk are now becoming double barrelled when they marry for some reason.
but it is a lot more difficult for British to figure out what is and what is not a Spanish surname or christian name.

My christian name is Jose Luis, I have been called Mr Lewis more times than I can remember..............