Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LW radio & DAB radio , world service in Spain

LW radio & DAB radio , world service in Spain

Old May 20th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice
Default LW radio & DAB radio , world service in Spain

I would like to listen to radio 4 or world service, in the car while driving in Spain. I used to get the world service on a car radio on LW. in spain,
But now with another car from the UK, I cant get anything from the UK.
Any ideas please.
And with the UK starting to change over to DAB, is Spain doing the same.
Old May 20th 2010, 5:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LW radio & DAB radio , world service in Spain

Originally Posted by wilki
I would like to listen to radio 4 or world service, in the car while driving in Spain. I used to get the world service on a car radio on LW. in spain,
But now with another car from the UK, I cant get anything from the UK.
Any ideas please.
And with the UK starting to change over to DAB, is Spain doing the same.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/sp...lp.shtml#radio

Have a look at this for your various options.

I doubt if you'll have much success on Long Wave as most of Spain is out of range under normal conditions.
There are some relayed services via fm but they may be limited in choice and areas.
You can usually pick up BBC on shortwave, but its not ideal for use in a car.
There are some digital UK radio stations via Hotbird sat but not sure if you can access them from a car.
Old May 20th 2010, 6:05 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

BBC WS is available over most of europe on one satellite or another,
and even using the UK TV satellites you can get bbc1,2,3,4 and the WS on a small (60-80cm) dish.

BUt it could be dangerouus driving with a dish on top of your car and a bugger to keep aligned!

I do not think it is available via AM / FM....via car radio in Spain...

BBC WS shortwave ceased back in 2007 and 2008....

Reading reception reports people have got Radio 4 LW OK on good days in the mid france area...not much further south i'm afraid

Yes Spain does plan to go DAB....its a matter of when....manana......
Old May 20th 2010, 7:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
BBC WS is available over most of europe on one satellite or another,
and even using the UK TV satellites you can get bbc1,2,3,4 and the WS on a small (60-80cm) dish.

BUt it could be dangerouus driving with a dish on top of your car and a bugger to keep aligned!

I do not think it is available via AM / FM....via car radio in Spain...

BBC WS shortwave ceased back in 2007 and 2008....

Reading reception reports people have got Radio 4 LW OK on good days in the mid france area...not much further south i'm afraid

Yes Spain does plan to go DAB....its a matter of when....manana......
What no more Lilly Bolera on BBC shortwave?
Not entirely true,..only transmissions intended for W.Europe have ceased,..however services to other parts of the World continue.
Shortwave being so variable and unpredictable, apparently it can still occasionally be picked up in W.Europe.
Shall have to toon the bands with my ham gear when I am back in the UK,.......shall be heartbroken if Lilly isnt still about......
Old May 20th 2010, 9:45 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

as we know bbc radiotv and so on have had cut back and on going probnlems was there Am Lw and Sw cost a heal off lot cash two run and
In last 10 year lot station have been turn away for Am Lw and Sw

In the last two year that have turned down the watts that thay well pumping out , there tranmitter where not frenidly to the Environmental waste of power and money as people listen via internet are via the satellites

Now if you have i phone there app for that .. and stram to radio
any more just pm me here O Rne have been doing same aswell

Jurdy

i been two few off the old uk site where Lw and Sw was tranmitter from and now gone , knock down , them love big mast that used O Rne have been doing the same aswell 698 gone from Uk and Ireland

Last edited by jurdyr; May 20th 2010 at 9:47 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I have just cut & pasted the above post into babelfish & still don't understand it.

If I get a DAB radio for Spain (Costa Blanca area) can I hear any english radio except the Javea ones?

Appreciate any advice in advance
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:23 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

One site I saw said that in 2008 there were only 20ish DAB stations available in Spain, and coverage was less than 50% of Spain..

I dont even know if the English stations around Javea are actually on DAB...just on FM....
Old May 22nd 2010, 2:54 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
One site I saw said that in 2008 there were only 20ish DAB stations available in Spain, and coverage was less than 50% of Spain..

I dont even know if the English stations around Javea are actually on DAB...just on FM....
someone I know here in Javea was complaining that she had brought 2 over from the UK & that they were useless here!
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:10 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by poolboy
I have just cut & pasted the above post into babelfish & still don't understand it.

If I get a DAB radio for Spain (Costa Blanca area) can I hear any english radio except the Javea ones?

Appreciate any advice in advance
no english radio on DAB in spain yet , give time
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:16 pm
Banned

the lady in she had brought 2 over from the UK & that they were useless here!
need two rescan the channels

# 198 kHz longwave
# Medium wave in some areas:

* 720 kHz in London and Northern Ireland
* 1449 kHz in Aberdeen and North East Scotland

tranmitter brodcast in watts and that been turn down so the coveage is now less then 2 years ago . no spain any more only at night time
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
the lady in she had brought 2 over from the UK & that they were useless here!
need two rescan the channels

# 198 kHz longwave
# Medium wave in some areas:

* 720 kHz in London and Northern Ireland
* 1449 kHz in Aberdeen and North East Scotland

tranmitter brodcast in watts and that been turn down so the coveage is now less then 2 years ago . no spain any more only at night time
I'll tell her - thanks!
Old Jan 26th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

bernherts is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think we will see an explosion of DAB radio in Spain - the radio spectrum is barely regulated at all.

During the night, Talk Radio Europe broadcast BBC World Service programmes - if you are in an area where they can be received, you should get some World Service programmes, plus they put on Europe Today at 6pm CET Monday to Friday.

According to the BBC World Service website, Coastline FM on 97.6 on the Costa del Sol in Andalucia also broadcast some World Service content on FM and on internet radio. I don't think you can get them in Javea though, they are more local to Nerja and the Axarquia region.

DAB would be great, but probably suffer even more from the effects of the mountainous terrain - driving around is about the most difficult way to try to listen to radio in English in Spain

Last edited by bernherts; Jan 26th 2011 at 12:49 pm. Reason: add weblinks
Old Jan 26th 2011, 11:46 pm
On the road again.

After all the hooha and widespread publicity I was looking forward to DAB radio.
However now, I like many others I think, find the sound quality of DAB to be very poor.
I pick up quite a few stations, the vast majority playing music most of the time and apart from most of it not being my cup of tea, it comes across as very dull, drab and dreary, due to what seems to be limited bandwith and very limited frequency response, certainly a long way from hi-fi quality even with a decent set and good signal.
Not particularly good on speech or chat programmes either.
I heard that the problem is down to the type of transmission system in use and that there are plans to upgrade it to a certain extent sometime in the distant future, but I for one certainly won't be holding my breath.