Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LUGO, GALACIA. How rural is too rural?

LUGO, GALACIA. How rural is too rural?

Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

ELMilligan is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation LUGO, GALACIA. How rural is too rural?

Hi,

I'm moving to Lugo in 2 weeks to teach ESL.

School sounds great and that's why I chose it but I find myself a bit worried with what I've been reading.

Some say it's incredibly rural, isolated and I'm not going to find any other foreigners. I'm very much up for the culture but my Spanish is brand new so I'm hoping my charades skills are up to scratch. (Going straight into lessons)

So what can I expect? Also, the weather can't be that bad surely?! (I am from England)

Any tips or advice from people who know the area would be great!

Emma
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LUGO, GALACIA. How rural is too rural?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Lugo is a city located with the province of Lugo, so it will depend where exactly you are

I doubt there will be many foreigners there though - and those that are there will speak Spanish

Just jump right in and only speak Spanish - although remember they also speak Gallego there

It will be hard to make any friends and real relationships if you only speak English

Weather wise, pretty much like the UK, a little warmer and sunnier in the summer, a little wetter in the winter
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant. Thank you!

I'm working and will be living pretty central. Most likely within the walls. Praza Maior, 13, 27001 Lugo, Spain

I hear locals will be patient any one who is trying to speak the language. Would you agree?

As for the weather, I think that'll be fine!
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELMilligan
Brilliant. Thank you!

I'm working and will be living pretty central. Most likely within the walls. Praza Maior, 13, 27001 Lugo, Spain

I hear locals will be patient any one who is trying to speak the language. Would you agree?

As for the weather, I think that'll be fine!
Sure, as long as you are trying then no problem

Northerners are much friendlier than those in the South

Just like in England
Old Aug 17th 2015, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hahaha. Exactly!

Thanks for that.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sure, as long as you are trying then no problem

Northerners are much friendlier than those in the South

Just like in England
Your knowledge of the UK is as bad as your knowledge of Spain
Old Aug 17th 2015, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Your knowledge of the UK is as bad as your knowledge of Spain
Well I've lived in the North and South of both the UK and Spain so I am qualified to an opinion

Southern Spaniards are smiley but are very insular. Enourmously difficult to enter their social circle

I find people up here to be way more open socially - and neighbours to be much friendlier. Of course this could be because they are not over-run with foreigners
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well I've lived in the North and South of both the UK and Spain so I am qualified to an opinion
You are allowed an opinion.

However where ever I have travelled / worked be it UK / Spain or the rest of the world I find that people react to oneself, if you are outgoing and friendly then you get similar reactions regardless of geography.
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ELMilligan
Hi,

I'm moving to Lugo in 2 weeks to teach ESL.

School sounds great and that's why I chose it but I find myself a bit worried with what I've been reading.

Some say it's incredibly rural, isolated and I'm not going to find any other foreigners. I'm very much up for the culture but my Spanish is brand new so I'm hoping my charades skills are up to scratch. (Going straight into lessons)

So what can I expect? Also, the weather can't be that bad surely?! (I am from England)

Any tips or advice from people who know the area would be great!

Emma
Whilst in Spain I made several visits to Lugo whilst in Galacia. It always seemed quite busy to me with lots to do, albeit a little wet! Galicia doesnt have what you would describe as the best weather in Spain .... in fact one year we were there, there was snow in late April.

It's a lovely area, I'm sure you will enjoy it
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

However where ever I have travelled / worked be it UK / Spain or the rest of the world I find that people react to oneself, if you are outgoing and friendly then you get similar reactions regardless of geography.
In terms of being superficially friendly and mildy pleasant then yes I agree

In terms of being able to start and develop meaningful relationships with the people around you then I completely disagree
Old Aug 17th 2015, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly Galicians see themselves as different from Castilians. The language spoken locally has more in common with Portuguese than with Madrilenyo.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Too much generalising here sometimes.

I liked the people in th north but only visited for a holiday. I made some good, lasting friends in southern spain whatever others might think about their insularity and/or superficiality

Last edited by rachelk; Aug 18th 2015 at 12:02 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rachelk

Too much generalising here sometimes.
One has to generalise a little when making observations about society

Of course each person is an individual and anything is possible
Old Aug 18th 2015, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Well it probably is wrong to generalise about people , but still I will never trust the Chinese after Pearl Harbour........scoundrels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.