British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   LPG ovens (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/lpg-ovens-929413/)

Migs Nov 20th 2019 8:44 pm

LPG ovens

Can anyone recommend a good LPG oven that can be bought in Spain? Our current Smeg oven burns everything on the bottom and never browns anything on the top.

Fred James Nov 20th 2019 10:05 pm

Re: LPG ovens

Why don’t you buy an electric oven. They are far more accurate for setting the right temperature.

Notdunroamin Nov 21st 2019 5:34 am

Totally agree, surely nobody who is remotely serious about cooking would ever choose a gas oven?
​​​​

​​​

Mark604 Nov 21st 2019 6:15 am

If Migs is in the same boat as I am, I don't have the electric power to run an electric oven as my house is only powered by solar and batteries. I need and use a local gas oven/cooker that isn't the best for sure, but it's all I can use - whether I am 'serious about cooking' or not.

bob_bob Nov 21st 2019 8:16 am

Majority of chefs use gas ovens...perhaps they can't get electricity in their kitchens. SMEG make good kit, stick with it and learn to use it. All ovens have their little quirks, a good cook overcomes them.

el collado kid Nov 21st 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by bob_bob (Post 12767042)
Majority of chefs use gas ovens...perhaps they can't get electricity in their kitchens. SMEG make good kit, stick with it and learn to use it. All ovens have their little quirks, a good cook overcomes them.

I agree, i prefer a gas oven myself but rarely use one or cook i prefer it for the grill.

Mark604 Nov 21st 2019 8:27 am

By the way, there are many tips on the internet to stop your bottom burning, like sitting the food higher or using two pans or oven stones, but I did find that my oven thermostat was under reading after I used a separate one to check.
Since then I turn the oven down to what the separate one says.

olivefarmer Nov 21st 2019 12:33 pm

We live in the campo and have twisted light flex overhead supply to give a whopping 5.5 kw so electric oven isn't an option.

we have two gas ovens. A Corbero which even on minimum has an oven like an inferno. The other is a Svan with a thermostatic oven. Gives good results but you have to know its foibles like any oven.. Best tip is to put a tray in low down to diffuse the heat.

Migs Nov 25th 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks for all the replies. We are off grid with solar and batteries so electric isn't an option. I have stuck with the Smeg for nine years so haven't exactly given up on it without a fight. I will look into a Svan.

bob_bob Nov 26th 2019 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Migs (Post 12769564)
Thanks for all the replies. We are off grid with solar and batteries so electric isn't an option. I have stuck with the Smeg for nine years so haven't exactly given up on it without a fight. I will look into a Svan.

After nine years you should have worked out the ovens quirks. If you want a bad oven go buy an Aga or a Rayburn, bloody awful things.