British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   LPG cooker connection (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/lpg-cooker-connection-647471/)

evilroyslade Jan 5th 2010 10:23 am

LPG cooker connection

I have bought a Cannon LPG cooker in UK, ready for our removal to Spain. It has a standard 1/2 inch female bayonet connector socket for the LPG supply.
Will I be able to buy a flexible pipe in Spain with the appropriate male connector?
Am I right in remembering seeing that the other end of the flexible pipe in Spain goes to a regulator valve, connected directly to the LPG bottle (as opposed to a threaded socket connector inthe UK)?
Our place in Spain has space for the LPG bottle in a cupboard, inside the kitchen. Is this allowable or should the bottle be outside?

jdr Jan 5th 2010 12:09 pm

Re: LPG cooker connection

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 8219698)
I have bought a Cannon LPG cooker in UK, ready for our removal to Spain. It has a standard 1/2 inch female bayonet connector socket for the LPG supply.
Will I be able to buy a flexible pipe in Spain with the appropriate male connector?
Am I right in remembering seeing that the other end of the flexible pipe in Spain goes to a regulator valve, connected directly to the LPG bottle (as opposed to a threaded socket connector inthe UK)?
Our place in Spain has space for the LPG bottle in a cupboard, inside the kitchen. Is this allowable or should the bottle be outside?

Inside is ok, you can easily buy the rubber pipe and most connections are jubilee clips. lol

evilroyslade Jan 5th 2010 12:16 pm

A refreshingly honest, relaxed and definitely non-CORGI reply - thanks!

jdr Jan 5th 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 8219882)
A refreshingly honest, relaxed and definitely non-CORGI reply - thanks!

Many a true word said in jest, I was a plumber/heating engineer for 40 odd years and a member of Corgi.
Corgi (although gone now I think) would shut Spain down if they were here. LOL

evilroyslade Jan 5th 2010 12:30 pm

Actually, I had seen a few of your previous posts so figured you had that kind of background (and hoped you would respond to my post - I have come to value advice from someone with practical experience, especially when it's free!).
Joking apart, I would never take a chance with gas or electricity (different thing with water - you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!) but the restrictions now in UK on DIY are ridiculous.
But now confident to tackle this job when we come out - thanks again

jdr Jan 5th 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 8219905)
Actually, I had seen a few of your previous posts so figured you had that kind of background (and hoped you would respond to my post - I have come to value advice from someone with practical experience, especially when it's free!).
Joking apart, I would never take a chance with gas or electricity (different thing with water - you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!) but the restrictions now in UK on DIY are ridiculous.
But now confident to tackle this job when we come out - thanks again

No probs, the tube has a date on it and should be changed before this date, the rest is just common sense really.

Hillybilly Jan 5th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 8219905)
you rarely hear of anyone drowning in their own home as a result of a poor Yorkshire joint!

:rofl::rofl: There's always a first time :rofl::rofl:

bil Jan 5th 2010 7:13 pm

I got my CORGI a couple of times and each time figured it wasn't worth having the *rseache for the small amount of extra work it got me.

Practical knowledge and commonsense is always valuable.

jdr Jan 5th 2010 8:58 pm

It used to be free to join, till they found out they could make money out of it, then make even more and more as they split it into different categories.
The amount of courses and time lost needed to cover everything was a joke unless you was working 24/7 on gas to cover the expense.

bil Jan 6th 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8221105)
It used to be free to join, till they found out they could make money out of it, then make even more and more as they split it into different categories.
The amount of courses and time lost needed to cover everything was a joke unless you was working 24/7 on gas to cover the expense.

Worst of all was the responsibility you took on.

I suddenly realised this on the very first job I went on. The chimney was blocked, and we had to remove the gas fire. To do that we had to turn the gas off at the mains. Reconnecting was a breeze, but there gas boiler was out of the ark and the pilot light was an enormous problem to relight. Plus we were in a big house that had all the upstairs rooms converted into individual flats with gas fires. There was no way we could verify the soundness of all the pipe in the rooms, and we couldn't tell if the chimneys were functioning, blocked like the one we were dealing with or if all the gas fues had appropriate terminals as we couldn't ID which were which.

Potentialy a terrible liability.

jdr Jan 6th 2010 11:13 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 8222607)
Worst of all was the responsibility you took on.

I suddenly realised this on the very first job I went on. The chimney was blocked, and we had to remove the gas fire. To do that we had to turn the gas off at the mains. Reconnecting was a breeze, but there gas boiler was out of the ark and the pilot light was an enormous problem to relight. Plus we were in a big house that had all the upstairs rooms converted into individual flats with gas fires. There was no way we could verify the soundness of all the pipe in the rooms, and we couldn't tell if the chimneys were functioning, blocked like the one we were dealing with or if all the gas fues had appropriate terminals as we couldn't ID which were which.

Potentialy a terrible liability.

Especially if you have to tell an irate customer that you cannot put the fire or boiler back on cos it doesn`t meet the standards, "but you can`t do that, we have used them for years blah blah blah"

tawaghorne Jan 6th 2010 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8219896)
Many a true word said in jest, I was a plumber/heating engineer for 40 odd years and a member of Corgi.
Corgi (although gone now I think) would shut Spain down if they were here. LOL

When I Retire to Spain in three years time, would it be better to bring a New LPG Boiler & Cooker from the uk and have them fitted here

Fredbargate Jan 6th 2010 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by evilroyslade (Post 8219698)

Apart from being able to connect the bottle to the cooker another point to consider is that the cooker is jetted for the type of gas and the correct pressure.

bil Jan 6th 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8222743)
Especially if you have to tell an irate customer that you cannot put the fire or boiler back on cos it doesn`t meet the standards, "but you can`t do that, we have used them for years blah blah blah"

Oh god yes. Or when we knocked off a cowl and refused to pay for a new one. We'd get 'It's been up there for twenty five years and ....'

There's a clue in there somewhere....

evilroyslade Jan 7th 2010 6:31 am

Originally Posted by tawaghorne (Post 8223308)
When I Retire to Spain in three years time, would it be better to bring a New LPG Boiler & Cooker from the uk and have them fitted here

Everything like cookers, washing machines etc seem to be very expensive in Spain. If you can find one at the right money in the UK - ebay shops and Amazon are a good start - it is certainly worth shipping it out.