Reload this Page >

Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Old May 27th 2012, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Vino Tonto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Originally Posted by dorishaslop
I tried making it using the recipe given here on the forum... I have to say it was passable as I do love cottage cheese. But so much waste of milk unless there's a recipe for the leftover milk it's an expensive way of eating cottage cheese.
Hi,
Just tried making some myself. I looked on line for uses for the leftover whey and found this.

"Note: There’s a lot of whey left over after making this cheese; the whey can be used in baking in place of water or even milk (bread, pancakes, muffins etc.); you can add it to soups and stews or smoothies or soak beans or grains in it. I used the whey from this batch in smoothies and the lightest, fluffiest muffins I’ve ever made."
Old May 27th 2012, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

CroptopMartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Often low fat = no taste.....skimmed milk in tea...whats the point of that.
It really depends on how YOUR body processes fat, how fast or slow your digestive system works, and most importantly how much you worry of your weight which the former statements affect.

I love food. I can in England have 200g of Tesco low fat (1%) cottage cheese on toast or ryvita. If I have normal cottage cheese, I'd could only have 30-50g because of the higher fat content.

My natural metabolic rate and digestive system is slow, so I burn the calories slower than slimmer people do. Naturally slim people generally have a higher metabolic rate and naturally burn foods quicker and can thus eat more and not Put on weight. If I eat everything my partner does, biscuits cakes bags of sweets etc and yet i do more exercise,I put on fat weight at a tremendous rate yet they stay slim; we have different Metabolic rates.

You say there's no taste or less taste. I disagree. It is different sure, but I dislike the rich fatty taste. You are used to the taste of full fat milk, I prefer semi-skimmed. If everyone liked the same things, not just food tastes, the world would have little variety.
Old May 27th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Often low fat = no taste.....skimmed milk in tea...whats the point of that.
I changed my eating habits to a lower fat way of eating years ago, as it's an easy way to reduce your calorie intake without really noticing it, along with stuff like learning to drink tea without sugar or substituting sweeteners for sugar if, like me, you can't enjoy coffee unsweetened. Skimmed milk in tea or coffee does taste strange initially, but if you persevere after a while you get used to it and if you then try it with semi-skimmed or full fat milk you will not like the taste of that. I make porridge with skimmed milk too, but have semi-skimmed if eating cereal. I also stopped eating butter or margarine on bread - if you use a small amount of low fat mayonnaise instead you really don't need it, or include tomato in your sandwich to provide moisture.

There are lots of things I used to like eating which now actually make me feel rather sick if I try them, like fish and chips, pork pies or cream cakes.

You may say life isn't worth living if you can't eat the things you like, but if like me you had always been slim but was finding the weight creeping on after the age of 40, making permanent changes to your eating habits is better for you than not addressing the weight gain until you are actually obese and more effective for keeping the weight off than constantly going "on a diet" and then immediately putting all the weight back on when you revert to your normal eating habits.
Old May 27th 2012, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

hear hear, it's even worse if when you get past fifty, and particularly so if you're unfortunate enough to be prescribed steroids for the long term. I am struggling to keep my weight down but I refuse to give up my daily tipple of wine, especially in this glorious weather. I too use skimmed milk and I put aioli on my bread as I love it. I don't eat meat of any kind, but it's still hard to stay at my ideal weight.
Old May 27th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

can buy cottage cheese in iceland, Liddle and Mercadona, low fat a bit ???? but accepted on weight loss program here
Old May 27th 2012, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

CroptopMartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
can buy cottage cheese in iceland, Liddle and Mercadona, low fat a bit ???? but accepted on weight loss program here
My partner and I haven't yet made the leap of moving completely to Spain, the current Euro-zone economics etc don't help, but we do have an apartment between Fuengirola and Cala-de-Mijas.

When we were out for 4weeks in November 2011 and again 4weeks of February 2012, I was pleased to find some low-ish fat CC in Iceland 4% I think, nowhere as low as UK Tesco 1% fat, but Iceland was a start.

I couldn't see any in Mucky'D's nor Lidl's; could be because I don't read spanish enough yet - can you enlighten me as to the label/name/description I should look out for in each store?

We're out again for month of July 2012

Many Thanks
Martin

Last edited by CroptopMartin; May 27th 2012 at 11:11 pm. Reason: Wrong order of paragraphs