Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

CroptopMartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

I have had a 6 week long holiday in Andulacia staying in self catering apartment in-between Fuengirola and Mijas Costa. Having searched supermarkets, Mercadona especially and the Trading As Iceland shop, SuperSol, etc, one thing I cannot find is low fat cottage cheese like we get in the UK. There are some imports purporting to be Low Fat but 4% fat content is 4x more than lowfat from Tesco in UK.

Any help appreciated as I hope to move over in 2012.

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I always get my cottage cheese from Lidl but I do not know the percentage of "Low Fat".
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CroptopMartin
I have had a 6 week long holiday in Andulacia staying in self catering apartment in-between Fuengirola and Mijas Costa. Having searched supermarkets, Mercadona especially and the Trading As Iceland shop, SuperSol, etc, one thing I cannot find is low fat cottage cheese like we get in the UK. There are some imports purporting to be Low Fat but 4% fat content is 4x more than lowfat from Tesco in UK.

Any help appreciated as I hope to move over in 2012.

Thanks
That`s one of the hardships you have to suffer living here, you will have to put up with the Dale farm 4% stuff, just eat less of it.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I always get my cottage cheese from Lidl but I do not know the percentage of "Low Fat".
4% fat
Old Nov 25th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you make your qwn, it's the simplest thing in the world to make. Only two ingredients and you can make it as low fat as you like. You can also if you want, spice it up a little.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Low Fat Cottage Cheese in Fuengirola/Mijas

Originally Posted by stuboy
I suggest you make your qwn, it's the simplest thing in the world to make. Only two ingredients and you can make it as low fat as you like. You can also if you want, spice it up a little.
You sound like an expert!
Can you tell me how to do myself?
Does it have to be Raw Milk or pasteurised?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CroptopMartin
You sound like an expert!
Can you tell me how to do myself?
Does it have to be Raw Milk or pasteurised?
It's simple you heat some milk just below boiling, ordinary skimmed for low fat semi skimmed for a higher fat content etc, let it cool for a couple of minutes and then add lemon juice or white wine vinegar, that will seperate the whey from the curd. you bin the whey by straining it keep the curd and that is cottage cheese. Chop it up (the curd) It takes ten minutes to make and it freezes. You can then add what you like to it, chives,dried fruit,creme fraiche ani it's ten times better than shop bought
Old Nov 26th 2011, 11:08 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Iceland in Fuengirola/Mijas
Old Nov 27th 2011, 5:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Iceland in Fuengirola/Mijas
4% is too high.
Old Nov 27th 2011, 3:11 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
4% is too high.
Crazy isnt it."Only 4% fat" is low when talking about biscuits and other "bad" foods made good, but when its milk based products. Personally I dont like the mechanics of removing fat from natural products - doesnt seem, well natural lol!!!

Iceland had low fat cheese, milk etc when I last went in - I didnt look at cottage cheese

Jo xxx
Old Nov 27th 2011, 4:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Low fat is not always a fad for the eater but in some cases it is an absolute necessity. Since the first operation when he had his pancreas, gall bladder, spleen and part of his duodenum removed Graham has had to be extremely careful of the fat content of everything that he eats. Shopping can take ages because of reading all the labels, fat content, no sugar etc, it is a nightmare, nothing is straightforward.

Rosemary
Old Nov 27th 2011, 10:29 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Low fat is not always a fad for the eater but in some cases it is an absolute necessity. Since the first operation when he had his pancreas, gall bladder, spleen and part of his duodenum removed Graham has had to be extremely careful of the fat content of everything that he eats. Shopping can take ages because of reading all the labels, fat content, no sugar etc, it is a nightmare, nothing is straightforward.

Rosemary
No it isnt and I'll bet you have to be careful when something is "made" into low fat, what they use to correct its taste, very often its sugar! Poor you Rosemary/Graham, its not an easy one cos we do all need a certain amount of fat in our diets to help absorb certain vitamins

Jo xxx
Old May 27th 2012, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Often low fat = no taste.....skimmed milk in tea...whats the point of that.
Old May 27th 2012, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

I tried making it using the recipe given here on the forum... I have to say it was passable as I do love cottage cheese. But so much waste of milk unless there's a recipe for the leftover milk it's an expensive way of eating cottage cheese.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.