Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Lost SKY Channels

Lost SKY Channels

Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:12 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost SKY Channels

Hi all

We have just lost BBC1, ITV, Ch4, Ch4+1 and 5 although most of the other derivative channels (+1 etc.) seem OK. The missing channels are not even on the EPG - they were there this morning!

We have BBC1 Scotland, Wales and NI but no other regions.

Any idea what has happened? Anybody else got this problem?

Our set-up is a standard PACE Sky box with what used to be called a "BBC card".

I was expecting to lose some functionality at some point, but ITV????
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:32 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost SKY Channels

OK - I've just taken the SKY card out and restarted the Sky box. We now have BBC1 London, ITV and Channel 4.

Panic over. Sorry.

Anyone know if we can get Channel 5 back and I would like Channel 135 (Ch4 +1) if possible as well.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:43 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Reboots solve many problems.

The BBC channels have not needed, or infact produced, a card for the last 6+ years...so i must assume you mean a freesatfromsky card when you say "bbc card".

A FSFS card unlock 6 itv1 regions (those on frequency 12402), irish Channel 4 (on 12480), Fiver fiver and Five USA (on 12422h), Sky 3, Viva TV and Liverpool FC TV. These channels are classed as "free to view", and you need a valid working sky card to watch.

All other ITV1 regions, all BBC regions, ITV2,3,4 C4, E4, M4 do not need a viewing card, are nothing to do with Sky (they are not "Sky channels" - they are not owned by Sky and you dont even need a Sky receiver to get them, any satellite receiver should do!) so you will not lose these when the old cards are switched off. These channels are classed as "free to air" and are available without any viewing card at all.

Anyone know if we can get Channel 5 back and I would like Channel 135 (Ch4 +1) if possible as well.
Do you mean you cannot receive a picture (so signal being received) or they are missing from the EPG? You need to be a bit more clearer, however,

Five: on 105 it depends on your region where your card is registered. 1 of the 4 FIVE regions, the freesat (no sky card required) version, is on the same frequency as BBC2 so reception will be as per BBC2. The Sky card versions are on 12422H and can be received pretty much 24/7 even on a smaller dish.

If you have the main BBC1,2 etc, then 135 should also be there....as they are on similar frequencies.

Unless you mean they are missing from the EPG...in which case insert your card and they will eventually load back into the EPG.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:15 pm
FreeThinker

The Guy,

You, Sir, are a genius and a patient one at that!

You are correct about re-booting - I will re-boot my brain at some point when I can find a heavy enough boot to do it with.

Having re-inserted my card everything is back as it was.

I think the problem is that we have been seeing those warning messages coming up for some time now and we're not quite sure what it all means. We assume that any blip or change of service is an immediate and complete disaster

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:57 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
The Guy,
You, Sir, are a genius and a patient one at that!
:

Originally Posted by jimenato
I think the problem is that we have been seeing those warning messages coming up for some time now and we're not quite sure what it all means. We assume that any blip or change of service is an immediate and complete disaster
Since APril last year Sky UK have been doing a card swap - all old blue yeloow house cards are being swapped for new white cards. Eventually all blue cards will cease to function.
So if you want to continue to receive the FTV channels, and get rid of the message that keeps appearding on the screen, you will need to get yourself a new FSFS card.

http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/new_...ard_change.php
may help..
For £20 get a friend or family member in the UK to get your a new card, post it to you, pop it into the sky box, go to services, 4, 6 and get all the details to your F&F then they ring sky to activate you new card.
IF you are eligable for a FREE replacement FSFS card (ie your current card was ordered from sky after may 2006) , then you just fill in the UK address details and they will send to that UK address a repalcement card, just pop it into your receiver and you will have your FTV channels.
You can obviously pay aninstaller / agent here in spain for a preactivated FSFS card - expect to pay anything from 80euros..(the card dealers know they can make a profit from this card swap - a card swap happens every 5 or 6 years)
Hope this helps.

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 11th 2010 at 6:00 pm.