Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Losing Spanish Nationality

Losing Spanish Nationality

Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:22 am
Just Joined

cbradley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Losing Spanish Nationality

Hi if I acquire Spanish nationality/citizenship and then years later move back to the USA/UK/different country for a period longer than 3 years, does the Spanish government take away my Spanish citizenship? I'm somewhat confused by the nationality law if you habitually live abroad and are not a citizen of origin. If anybody can provide any insight, I'd be very appreciative!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing Spanish Nationality

Originally Posted by cbradley
Hi if I acquire Spanish nationality/citizenship and then years later move back to the USA/UK/different country for a period longer than 3 years, does the Spanish government take away my Spanish citizenship? I'm somewhat confused by the nationality law if you habitually live abroad and are not a citizen of origin. If anybody can provide any insight, I'd be very appreciative!
I am certainly no expert on this matter.
My understanding is that you have dual nationality with your country of birth being your main identity. I don't believe that you forego citizenship gained by not being resident for any particular period of time.
To gain citizenship is certainly no easy feat and the gain is minimal for most that is why most people don't go for it.
Sorry can't be any more help.