Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Looking for a winter rent in a coastal town

Looking for a winter rent in a coastal town

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

socalgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a winter rent in a coastal town

Hi Expats, my husband and I are looking to rent an apartment/house in a coastal town in Spain during the winter months. Could anyone give us any suggestions? I have been scouring the web and come up with Nerja and San Jose, I'm not sure how touristy they are though. We want somewhere that has something going on during the winter months - music, bars open etc. Looking ideally for a fishing village that is cool and artsy. Any ideas GREATLY appreciated as I am rather in the dark.
Thanks
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a winter rent in a coastal town

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Glasgow Billy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Socalgal,

It might not be what your looking for as it's not a fishing village, but no harm in looking at the town i moved to over a year ago. Albir. It is 10 mins in a taxi from Benidorm, but nothing like it. I fell in love with it the first day i visited.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that recommendation. i'll look into it. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Both Nerja and San Jose are very touristy

San Jose is smaller and I would think completely shuts down in the winter. Cabo de Gata has amazing beaches but is basically a desert, so after 2 days would get boring

To be honest, if you are looking for cool and artsy then you should look much further North in the Costa Brava. Somewhere like Calella de Parafrugell or Cadaques. More expensive though

However a warning. Any village that has plenty of bars and music in the winter months will be very definition be very touristy. That's what they are there for!
Old Aug 5th 2015, 9:06 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if Estepona might suit your needs.

Not a village but definitely a fishing fleet, not a huge holiday destination (and what there is is mostly Spanish) but enough life to keep bars open and music.

Best would be the town itself or to the west as to the east it does become more touristy.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:18 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Salou, near Tarragona, struck me as 'artsy'. Well known as being Gay friendly, so a good indicator of 'cool', I guess.

Cambrils, a small town nearby has a fishing port.

Perhaps not the climate you might be looking for over the winter months being that much further north.

Last edited by iano; Aug 5th 2015 at 10:20 am.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your input. I shall look into all of your suggestions. I really appreciate this forum!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Anna Collins1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaga city is gaining a reputation for its up and coming art scene, there are tons of museums dedicated to art like Picasso and the Pompidou centre on the port. There's also a section dedicated to street art, its pretty busy all year round as are most cities and Christmas time in Malaga is simply the best place to be.

The beach is within walking distance form the city centre and you can catch a train or bus anywhere from Malaga to explore other parts of Spain (Nerja is 30 minutes by car), it would make an ideal base for the winter months.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 2:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your input. Malaga seems like an interesting option