Looking to move to Spain 2021

Looking to move to Spain 2021

Old May 3rd 2020, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Pickle15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to Spain 2021

Hi all first I appreciate all and any comments and opinions

so I’m 34 and a mechanic last 11 years
im looking to make a Bold move to Spain yes typical of a Brit im board of Uk and life’s too short just to get bye like others do in Uk they move area without thinking but that’s me I find my way round easily
im current talking with some real estate agents as looking to purchase either house/flat or apartments... still unsure which one ? Any advice please ?

im going to have a years salary to live off untill I get a job so that’s only for utilities bills and food my place will be mortgage free comfortable living for a year though wanting to work from the gecko
I’m a go active male so will be wanting to get into a job straight away or as soon as plausible
even if I start something small before I get a job maybe construction or mechanic again it’s the nice weather and change of lifestyle I’m wanting ..... but still need a job to live from
im still unsure where to move to I have on mind
Alicante, Malaga, Valencia
or some town that’s easy access to them like 45 min journey for days out on days off
i do like the city’s I like the busyness,the country is ok but a bit quite for me
my friend is also looking to make the move with me she has a son of 12 will be 13 the time it happens he will need to go to school

we speak no Spanish though I go Spain every year and I try my hardest to speak native language as I believe it if you go there speak there language
Iv not been to any of these places except Alicante many years ago

all advice is greatly appreciated
Old May 3rd 2020, 1:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Spain 2021

2021 is after the Brexit transition period, so you will need to meet the non-EU immigrant requirements to be allowed to immigrate to Spain.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Do not underestimate how hard it will be to find employment. Do you and your partner have any trade qualifications? You have time to learn some Spanish. Check out courses available at your nearest Technical College.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
2021 is after the Brexit transition period, so you will need to meet the non-EU immigrant requirements to be allowed to immigrate to Spain.
thanks wasn’t aware that post-brexit made any difference to uk as Europe was keeping in good faith with Uk

will definitely have a further look in to this
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pickle15
thanks wasn’t aware that post-brexit made any difference to uk as Europe was keeping in good faith with Uk

will definitely have a further look in to this
"Free movement" was arguably the pivotal issue that caused Brexit, so yeah, the right to just "up and move to another country" in the EU for no better reason than you "just feel like it", will be gone at the end of the transition period.
Old May 3rd 2020, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Do not underestimate how hard it will be to find employment. Do you and your partner have any trade qualifications? You have time to learn some Spanish. Check out courses available at your nearest Technical College.

hey no underestimation taken, I throughly understand being uk and non Spanish speaker I’ll be last to be given the job

tho as mentioned in my post Iv been a mechanic 11 years and I have been self employed this entire time ... i know and believe that mechanic jobs are not to hard to get in expat community

my friend currently is a pharmacist and also previously a chef so can bring forward both quality’s and experience

I think this is why we are coming over to be able live comfortably for an entire year if need be with the hope we shall both find Careers before the end of our first year
Old May 3rd 2020, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

"Free movement" was arguably the pivotal issue that caused Brexit, so yeah, the right to just "up and move to another country" in the EU for no better reason than you "just feel like it", will be gone at the end of the transition period.
It is keeping in good faith
So long as UK does same for EU citizens residing in the UK and protecting rights of those legally resident in the EU before the end of transition currently 31 Dec 2020. After that UK citizens will be 3rd Country immigrants to the EU with all that entails re driving licences, health care and no doubt many other things .
Old May 3rd 2020, 3:39 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all first I appreciate all and any comments and opinions

so I’m 34 and a mechanic last 11 years
im looking to make a Bold move to Spain yes typical of a Brit im board of Uk and life’s too short just to get bye like others do in Uk they move area without thinking but that’s me I find my way round easily
im current talking with some real estate agents as looking to purchase either house/flat or apartments... still unsure which one ? Any advice please ?

im going to have a years salary to live off untill I get a job so that’s only for utilities bills and food my place will be mortgage free comfortable living for a year though wanting to work from the gecko
I’m a go active male so will be wanting to get into a job straight away or as soon as plausible
even if I start something small before I get a job maybe construction or mechanic again it’s the nice weather and change of lifestyle I’m wanting ..... but still need a job to live from
im still unsure where to move to I have on mind
Alicante, Malaga, Valencia
or some town that’s easy access to them like 45 min journey for days out on days off
i do like the city’s I like the busyness,the country is ok but a bit quite for me
my friend is also looking to make the move with me she has a son of 12 will be 13 the time it happens he will need to go to school

we speak no Spanish though I go Spain every year and I try my hardest to speak native language as I believe it if you go there speak there language
Iv not been to any of these places except Alicante many years ago

all advice is greatly appreciated
Hi, and butting in from the France forum, but the issues are universal.
- 12-13 is a bad age to move to a country where the child doesn't know the language and culture (and will have no friends to confide in and, from experience, parents are the last to know what problems teens are suffering from). From what I've read on the forum, the Spanish Education System, like the French, is very different from the UK's and this would add to his stress. You might consider putting your partner's son in an International School with a British Curriculum, just in case you decide after a year that Spain isn't for you after all, but the drawbacks are that they are expensive and he wouldn't learn Spanish or integrate quickly.
- If you're not legally bound, you should research the legal implications (Inheritance and Succession) of buying property jointly, esp. as your gf has a son and heir not related to you.
These are two important issues, in addition to the questions of Brexit and finding work.
HTH
Old May 3rd 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22
It is keeping in good faith
So long as UK does same for EU citizens residing in the UK and protecting rights of those legally resident in the EU before the end of transition currently 31 Dec 2020. ....
Which is irrelevant as Pickle is talking about moving in 2021.
..... After that UK citizens will be 3rd Country immigrants to the EU with all that entails re driving licences, health care and no doubt many other things .
Which is exactly what I said - ".... meet the non-EU immigrant requirements .... ".

Last edited by Pulaski; May 3rd 2020 at 4:27 pm.
Old May 3rd 2020, 4:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I hate be negative, but my best advice is, don’t even think about it.

Unemployment after the virus will get back to 30% or more in Spain and jobs for a foreign mechanic will be near zero. There won’t be any construction work either as that stopped after the financial crisis and has only just started to recover but the virus will put a stop to that recovery. There are already many British expat mechanics struggling to make a living from the local Brits. Any chance of working as a mechanic in a dealership are out as well unless you speak fluent Spanish and have major dealer qualifications.

The usual fall back option for people who come here and fail to get work is occasional bar work, but 50% of the bars will go out of business in the next 6 months. Casual work earns €10 maximum and you won’t be allowed in unless you already have a job or can prove to be self financing and pay for health insurance.

Also do not underestimate the problems for the children at that age having to integrate and learn anything in a Spanish school. Many children have managed it but generally at a much younger age. Unless you can afford to pay expensive fees for a private English speaking school the chances are that they will leave school with no qualifications and no future. Unemployment figures in the under 25 age group have recently been near 50% and that will most likely return because of the virus.

After Brexit the immigration rules, especially for potential workers, will be much stricter, just as they are at the moment for non EU citizens.

Sorry again for posting bad news, but it can only get worse. OK, it’s only my opinion, others might be more positive, but eventually it will be you who has to make the decision.

That said, whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Fred James; May 3rd 2020 at 4:08 pm.
Old May 3rd 2020, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Fred.

I think you have missed the point - those of us that are here legally have accrued rights those arriving after Brexit will have virtually nothing no automatic rights to work or live in Spain - the UK will not be in the EU.

You need to do a lot of research and thinking.

Old May 3rd 2020, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Which is irrelevant as Pickle is talking about moving in 2021.
I am aware of what the OP posted all I mentioned is when the current situation changes. Maybe best not to bother offering anything as you have it covered
Old May 3rd 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22
I am aware of what the OP posted all I mentioned is when the current situation changes. Maybe best not to bother offering anything as you have it covered
I do apologize. . In replying to me but quoting the phrase that Pickle used, and prefixing it with "it is", it looked awfully like you were agreeing with Pickle's mistaken belief.
Old May 3rd 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do apologize. . In replying to me but quoting the phrase that Pickle used, and prefixing it with "it is", it looked awfully like you were agreeing with Pickle's mistaken belief.
I hadn't realised I had replied to your original post so my apologies for that. My point was to emphasise yours as it was clear that Pickle hadn't realised that brexit changes everything.
Old May 3rd 2020, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

hey no underestimation taken, I throughly understand being uk and non Spanish speaker I’ll be last to be given the job

tho as mentioned in my post Iv been a mechanic 11 years and I have been self employed this entire time ... i know and believe that mechanic jobs are not to hard to get in expat community

my friend currently is a pharmacist and also previously a chef so can bring forward both quality’s and experience

I think this is why we are coming over to be able live comfortably for an entire year if need be with the hope we shall both find Careers before the end of our first year
Can only agree with others and don't be that foolish person. As a mechanic in the UK you can easily save now and continue to do that. In Spain you will be like a school leaver who doesn't even speak the language. I'm only a few years older than you and we have a place around an hour from Barcelona. We could easily get a job there next month but with the lack of social security, low wages, longer working hours and so on, I'm far better off saving more and can actually enjoy when I go over. Right now the sun has been shining every day in Ireland, the people receive €350 a week if they got laid off due to Covid, but they still complain. I have many Spanish friends here who have family back home and it's a struggle if a household only gets €500, which is the case for many. In a digital world it's very easy to apply for jobs first in Spain and move when you have one. Then you can do other things step by step ( partner, child, buying property etc.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.