British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Looking for English speaking kids living in GIJON (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/looking-english-speaking-kids-living-gijon-895751/)

Gijon Apr 21st 2017 12:58 pm

Looking for English speaking kids living in GIJON

Hi ! :lol:

We are a Spanish couple with a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.

Since you live in Spain, you know how important it is for Spanish kids to learn English in order to find a good job in the future, so to accomplish this, we moved to Ireland for 2 school years.

Now we are coming back to Gijon (Asturias) and would like to find English speaking children in our area so our kids don't forget what they learned.
I thought that expats might also be interested in their kids practicing their English with other kids and not only with their parents.

So if there is anyone interested, please let me know and we can arrange a playgroup or something.

Thanks for reading !

Rosemary Apr 21st 2017 2:32 pm

Re: Looking for English speaking kids living in GIJON

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

TallTUK May 6th 2017 3:23 pm

Hi

We are an dual nationality couple (British husband, Asturian spanish wife) with two small boys. We are planning to move to Asturias sometime end of this year or start of next. We are aiming for somewhere around Oviedo but could be anywhere. We would love to meet other couples once we get there and it would be great for the boys to have other english speaking kids to play with, and to practice their spanish with.

Rosemary May 6th 2017 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by TallTUK (Post 12246427)
Hi

We are an dual nationality couple (British husband, Asturian spanish wife) with two small boys. We are planning to move to Asturias sometime end of this year or start of next. We are aiming for somewhere around Oviedo but could be anywhere. We would love to meet other couples once we get there and it would be great for the boys to have other english speaking kids to play with, and to practice their spanish with.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary

VFR May 7th 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Gijon (Post 12234800)
Hi ! :lol:

We are a Spanish couple with a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old son.

Since you live in Spain, you know how important it is for Spanish kids to learn English in order to find a good job in the future, so to accomplish this, we moved to Ireland for 2 school years.

Now we are coming back to Gijon (Asturias) and would like to find English speaking children in our area so our kids don't forget what they learned.
I thought that expats might also be interested in their kids practicing their English with other kids and not only with their parents.

So if there is anyone interested, please let me know and we can arrange a playgroup or something.

Thanks for reading !

Very much doubt that British expat children would ever need to practice their English should their parents be from the UK, now inter cambio would be a better bet (IMO)
Why not install a dish and let the rascals watch "some" UK TV ?

BTW we have Moderators on here (yes I know any site does) ;)

tuhler May 8th 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 12246903)
Very much doubt that British expat children would ever need to practice their English should their parents be from the UK, now inter cambio would be a better bet (IMO)
Why not install a dish and let the rascals watch "some" UK TV ?

BTW we have Moderators on here (yes I know any site does) ;)

Children's english can be very different to adult english...speaking and mixing with other english children sounds a very good idea...would allow to speak in their own time zone....Llanes and around there have quite a lot of brits..not sure about gijon..great part of spain to live in..have had many a good holiday there..for uk tv get it on internet..IPTV suppliers

Gijon May 14th 2017 5:03 pm

Thank you all for your replies :)

The kids have always watched the TV in english and we intend on keeping that up, but it would also be nice if they could mix with other kids who spoke english so they could feel the need to speak it, otherwise they would just see it as an obligation.
I speak in english with them but obviously my english is far from perfect and they know I can understand them if they speak in spanish to me, so my fear is that in a few months after we move back to Spain they will refuse to speak english with me.

TallTUK, I´ll give you my phone number in a private message so you can contact us when you move to Asturias :)

Gijon May 14th 2017 5:06 pm

TallTUK, I tried to send you a private message but apparently I need to have 3 posts before I am able to send private messages.
Anyway, you can send me a private message if you are interested ;)

Eric S May 15th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Gijon (Post 12252515)
TallTUK, I tried to send you a private message but apparently I need to have 3 posts before I am able to send private messages.
Anyway, you can send me a private message if you are interested ;)

Well, you have 3 posts now. :)

Laurauru Nov 4th 2017 10:25 pm

Hello to everyone!
We are going to move to Gijon next year between February and March.

We are both Spanish but our little girl she speaks better english than us. Would be nice for her to keep practicing her english and also for us too.

I would love to meet up all of you and we can also do playgroups where they can have fun.

Can you lete know please if any of you are living in Gijon.

Many thanks,

See you soon

Laura

Rosemary Nov 5th 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Laurauru (Post 12374840)
Hello to everyone!
We are going to move to Gijon next year between February and March.

We are both Spanish but our little girl she speaks better english than us. Would be nice for her to keep practicing her english and also for us too.

I would love to meet up all of you and we can also do playgroups where they can have fun.

Can you lete know please if any of you are living in Gijon.

Many thanks,

See you soon

Laura

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Rosemary

Laurauru Nov 6th 2017 9:48 pm

Hello Rosemary, thanks for the quick reply. I have already red the rules.
This post can g now to the forum?
Laura

Rosemary Nov 7th 2017 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Laurauru (Post 12376330)
Hello Rosemary, thanks for the quick reply. I have already red the rules.
This post can g now to the forum?
Laura

Your post is already on the forum so do not worry. I hope that you receive lots of replies.

Rosemary

Jceph Feb 22nd 2018 7:26 am

Hi,

Just to add to the other posters, we also live in Asturias and would love to be able to meet up with other UK families. Our daughter is 3 and hasn't started school yet, so she doesn't have much access to other kids her age. We live in the countryside about 45 minutes from Gijon, but spend a few days a week there, so if anyone would like to meet up do get in touch!
Thanks a lot,
Joanna

Rosemary Feb 22nd 2018 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Jceph (Post 12448112)
Hi,

Just to add to the other posters, we also live in Asturias and would love to be able to meet up with other UK families. Our daughter is 3 and hasn't started school yet, so she doesn't have much access to other kids her age. We live in the countryside about 45 minutes from Gijon, but spend a few days a week there, so if anyone would like to meet up do get in touch!
Thanks a lot,
Joanna

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Rosemary