British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Looking at Competa finca (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/looking-competa-finca-924281/)

Lidavich Apr 18th 2019 6:11 pm

Looking at Competa finca

we fell in love with a property in Competa that is right for us. We are planning to retire part time here. We wonder what we should know about the community’s life here that we can not predict, and what activities might be available. I would enjoy art classes, flamenco, and riding school, for example.

In addition, there will be some renovation in our future.... it will be good to hear from others of their experiences and local opportunities.

i have studied Spanish, and would like to advance my skills. Any local classes?

thank you for any replies.
lisa

jonboy Apr 19th 2019 7:35 pm

Re: Looking at Competa finca

Great news that you have found a suitable property, hopefully someone will be along to tell you something about the place it is in. You make it sound that you are quite unfamiliar with where it is situated and what is available in the area. Quite an adventure! Good luck.

Lidavich Apr 19th 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by jonboy (Post 12673236)
Great news that you have found a suitable property, hopefully someone will be along to tell you something about the place it is in. You make it sound that you are quite unfamiliar with where it is situated and what is available in the area. Quite an adventure! Good luck.

hello and thank you for your reply.
my hope was that this forum might have members who are interested in sharing information.

we are gathering information as we can via websites and our short visits in competa and the area. It would be great to hear from those who already reside in the area and are familiar with the local culture and activities and other resources.

thank you for any responses.
lisa

bob_day Apr 20th 2019 9:18 am

We live in Sayalonga, the village before Competa as you head up the mountains from algarobbo. Competa is somewhat larger than Sayalonga and so has many more restaurants and shops. There are probably sufficient facilities there that you would rarely need to go to the coast for shopping etc. There are apparently many artists living in competa and they have an annual art walk around their studios, which i think may be happening this week. So classes are a distinct possibility.

There are various othe lively festivals held thru the year such as Noche de Vino, Ferria etc, although we have never been to these as parking can be a bitch.
​​​​​
Horseriding, there is a stables just outside the village towards Corumbela.

There are sports facilities such as a pool and sports centre where you can play the likes of paddel or badminton etc.

We don't go to competa that often, preferring to head to the coast, especially when the weather is nice. But we do go there to eat occasionally as there are some decent restaurants, although I'm not aware of any Asian or Indian eateries which tends to be our preference, or to go to the Saturday market if we don't fancy the drive to Caletta.

Lidavich Apr 20th 2019 9:30 am

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
As I research further and read your replies, I feel even more enthusiastic.

we are looking forward to the time we can come to live here.

bob_day Apr 20th 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Lidavich (Post 12673386)
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
As I research further and read your replies, I feel even more enthusiastic.

we are looking forward to the time we can come to live here.

You won't regret it. Weve been 10 years now and still loving every minute. The only downside is how incredibly fast the years whizz by.. Really cant believe it's 10 years.

​​​​​​If you want get in touch next time you're over and we can meet for lunch.

cermignano Apr 21st 2019 1:33 pm

make sure the Finca is absolutely legal

Lidavich Apr 21st 2019 2:50 pm

Hello,
Such encouraging words.., thank you!

and yes, We would love to meet you when we arrive next year....maybe January.

Originally Posted by bob_day (Post 12673402)
You won't regret it. Weve been 10 years now and still loving every minute. The only downside is how incredibly fast the years whizz by.. Really cant believe it's 10 years.

​​​​​​If you want get in touch next time you're over and we can meet for lunch.

bob_day Apr 24th 2019 1:39 pm

We'll be around during Jan, probably away for all of Feb and early March.