Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

looking for advice on costa del sol / murcia

looking for advice on costa del sol / murcia

Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

gyork0206 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default looking for advice on costa del sol / murcia

I am looking for some advice, we are currently in the early stages of looking to relocate to spain, we are getting our uk house ready for sale.

I have been looking at the murcia / costa del sol regions, we want to be close to shops/facilities etc, don't want to have to get a car so would prefer a larger town/village.

We do not have a precise budget yet, but looking for a 2 bedroom apartment/small villa with patio/roof terrace, part of a complex wouldn't be an issue as we do both play golf (or in my case attempt to).

Any advice will be greatfully received.

thanks
Gillian.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 8:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for advice on costa del sol / murcia

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

MrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud ofMrsMac59 has much to be proud of

Hi Gillian, and welcome to the Forum.

My husband and I have just completed our purchase in Murcia, about 45 mins inland from Alicante. We began our search in the Costa del Sol area and spent a year looking there. We even got as far as a shortlist of two houses but my husband insisted we look further North before we made a final decision and I'm so glad he did. We've just bought a lovely house on the Murcia/Alicante border a third cheaper than for the same space in CDS.

My advice would be to take your time over making your decision. Look at as many properties as you can that fit what you think are your criteria, and then use your time back in the UK to narrow down your list. When you start looking you'll soon find that you begin to refine your wish list.

Have fun!!

Elaine

Last edited by MrsMac59; Apr 16th 2014 at 1:15 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMac59
Hi Gillian, and welcome to the Forum.

My husband and I have just completed our purchase in Murcia, about 45 mins inland from Alicante. We began our search in the Costa del Sol area and spent a year looking there. We even got as far as a shortlist of two houses but my husband insisted we look further North before we made a final decision and I'm so glad he did. We've just bought a lovely house on the Murcia/Alicante border a third cheaper than for the same space in CDS.

My advice would be to take your time over making your decision. Look at as many properties as you can that fit what you think are your criteria, and then use your time back in the UK to narrow down your list. When you start looking you'll soon find that you begin to refine your wish list.

Have fun!!

Elaine
I know that you have stated that you have managed to buy a larger house than you could have for the money but what else attracted you to the area that you bought in? Did it tick all of your needs or the vast majority? Also did you find as you refined your search that some of your ideas changed, e.g. some things becoming more important and other less important.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

You did not say whether you were retired, self sufficient financially or looking for work, wanting a school for your kids etc. Any advice here would be in line with the aforementioned.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

gyork0206 is an unknown quantity at this point

we will hopefully be self sufficient with the sale of our uk home, my partner is retired and I might do some part time work at some time, no kids but grand kids may visit
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that is a relief. Spain is your oyster. You can pick any location. Book a hotel for a day or two and as it is a Renters Paradise in Spain you can pick up rentals easily anywhere you wish simply by knocking on doors.