Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Long Term Rental Agents/Alicante

Long Term Rental Agents/Alicante

Old Aug 22nd 2017, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

SandraSP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Term Rental Agents/Alicante

I will be traveling soon to Alicante to do research on permanent relocation (from Manhattan, NY). I plan to meet with some rental agents in the area to discuss availability, price, etc. and would appreciate any feedback on those agents you would recommend.

This whole process has been very is exciting and I've found feedback from this Expats site extremely helpful. Thanks to all.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Rental Agents/Alicante

Typically they only want to deal with people ready to sign and pay a deposit.

Suggest you research on the net prices etc. Alicante is a large area - where are you thinking of? Some areas do not have much availability as many people have switched from owning to renting since the price crash.

The agents are not really important as long as you have a good standard up todate contract and a sensible landlord, (best to meet them) the agents will not be further involved and only add to the costs.
Old Aug 22nd 2017, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Spainrico, for this response. I realize that agents may only be interested if I'm ready to rent, sign and pay at the time but I do want to get a sense of how they operate and who to go to (assume going to as many agents and spreading the net as wide as possible as they probably each have their own clients??)

I have checked out monthly rental prices in the range of $900-1,300 (US dollars).

I'm looking for either front line or an apartment with an unobstructed view of the Med and terrace in Alicante town or in walking distance. Don't know if it's unrealistic as I know many l/term rentals does not include the summer months.

Would be interested to know how best to go about this.

Sandra
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

OTA63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SandraSP. I am hoping to settle in the Torrevieja area when I retire next year. Will be visiting the area for a month in September next year with the hope/intention of moving out in the November.
I hear all the time not to rent from the internet. There have been stories of people who have done so and found the property does not exist. Hence my reason for visiting mainly to see agents as I would imagine that not all potential landlords live in Spain so could not show your their apartments.
So what IS the best way to find a place to rent and make our new home. So I too will be interested in seeing any other answers being offered.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks OTA. Good luck with your search. If you find out any helpful hints as to how best to approach finding long-term rental, I would be very interested.

I live in Manhattan so it's not easy. Other than going to an agent(s), I really don't know what else to do. Perhaps renting for one year and while there look for your ideal place.

Anyway, good luck with your move. Isn't it exciting? Sandra
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Our experience has been is that you have to be on the ground.Agents cannot be bothered to deal via emails. Good properties go fast and villas any where near the sea, even quicker. Never mind what their websites advertise. We live a few miles north of Alicante and if it's a villa with a sea view then your chances, long distance, are nil. The moment a good property is available,it's snapped up. Inland you have more options.
We stayed in a hotel and did the rounds. Finally we found somewhere. Should you come property hunting, then come after September when the holiday lets are finished.Our searches only involved villas.
Just a point. Deal with a reputable agent, not some who will meet you at the property.
Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 1:31 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Properties can look great on a website and s.....t, not so nice when viewed. I would suggest you rent short term e.g. holiday apartment / hotel, whilst you look around at what is available.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Would a good agent take you round to view properties for rent? What companies would you recommend around Torrevieja area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OTA63
Would a good agent take you round to view properties for rent? What companies would you recommend around Torrevieja area? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Visit and find one reputable agent . Theagents share common databases and will have access to other agents property lists, if successful they split the commission. Sometimes means you get two people turning up with you on a visit.
Expect the agent to take you to the property, arrange all details with the owners, do the draft contract , normally bi-lingual, Spanish on one half of the page and english on the other half. Before signing get it independently vetted. The fee should be one month's rent which they expect to take from the two month's deposit you are normally asked to pay.

ignore any rubbish about 11 month contracts, that is an outdated concept. The normal contract is for a 12 month period with automatic "roll-over" unless one party gives notice under the terms of the contract.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Loafing Along. How do you tell a reputable agent from one that's not. I don't suppose it's as easy as finding one with a swish office.
Sorry SandraSP, I seem to have hi-jacked your thread.
Old Aug 25th 2017, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OTA63
Thanks Loafing Along. How do you tell a reputable agent from one that's not. I don't suppose it's as easy as finding one with a swish office.
Sorry SandraSP, I seem to have hi-jacked your thread.
Unfortunately not, we visited as many as we could in the area we were looking on the Costa Del Sol and the "swish office" crowd were not convincing, ended- up with a small but very local agent who spent the time to understand what we were looking for and explained everything in advance of seeing anything.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

Is it posible to obtain the agent that you dealt with who spent time to understand what you were looking for?

Also, can anyone enlighten me as to what paperwork/information I need to have with me to give me the ability to sign a contract when I'm there? I doubt if I'll have time to open a bank account or even have an address.....etc.

I will be able to show them my online banking and my pension income, etc. but this is based in the USA.
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things that most agents will require, some even before letting you see any property: NIE, proof of earnings and Spanish bank account (as the water and electricity DDs will be changed to the tenant).
Old Jun 6th 2018, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Sandra do you have an EU passport or have you sorted out the visa's you will need?
Old Jun 10th 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

I have an EU passport and a US passport. I visited the Spanish Consulate and they said I could enter on either and then obtain permanent residency - assuming all other paperwork is kosher.

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom front-line apartment in Alicante and will go up to $1,800 per month. From what I've seen online and even given the budget, there doesn't seem much available - at least for long term rental.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.