Long term rental

Long term rental

Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Ste and Sam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Long term rental

Originally Posted by lynnxa
some friends of mine have looked into this VERY carefully recently

it isn't legal - the 'appropriate authorities' won't allow you to home educate except in extreme circumstances - usually if there are medical reasons
Thank you

I trust you are correct

Ste
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by adra04778
Legal or not, I think your children will be better in the local school, they will soon make friends and be speaking Spanish, why waste valuable time home schooling if you intend putting them in school at some point, they are more likely to be better off thrown in the deep end, 4 months down the line they will be translating for you
I do see your point

Finance is an issue for us though my understandimng is they can be placed in a state School for free? We have looked at both Olvera and Coin where hopefully a state School can provide the education. Perhaps Coin may be better suited as we have heard other UK kids can help with transition?

We do intend to start learning Spanish very soon and will dedicate every waking hour this. We have every intention of respecting the Spanish culture and wish to earn respect for this from locals

Ste

Ste
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ste and Sam
We have looked at both Olvera and Coin

We do intend to start learning Spanish very soon and will dedicate every waking hour this. We have every intention of respecting the Spanish culture and wish to earn respect for this from locals
Firstly Coin is a completely different experience than Olvera, it is now one of the overflow towns from Fuengirola and as such is much more expensive.

Secondly, if you really are serious about learning the language and earning respect from the locals then start your learning now!
With only a few months left before your intended move you will find you have too many other things to plan and to do for a smooth relocation, you won't have the time for formal Spanish lessons, and anything less than that would be somewhat pointless!

Good luck with the move.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:37 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ste and Sam
I do see your point

Finance is an issue for us though my understandimng is they can be placed in a state School for free? We have looked at both Olvera and Coin where hopefully a state School can provide the education. Perhaps Coin may be better suited as we have heard other UK kids can help with transition?

Ste

Ste
wherever you live they will be entitled to free state schooling

there are pros & cons to being in an area with oter UK kids - for some it means they never learn Spanish properly & never really mix, although I suspect this is largely down to the attitude of the family

where I live there are lots of brits - however we watch Spanish tele (only just got english a few weeks ago), go to see films at the cinema in spanish, mix with spanish people, don't go to Brit bars, I speak spanish & we often do at home - my kids are succeeding at school & to hear them speak you'd think they are spanish (I've been told this by many spanish people on first meeting them)

do a search of this forum about education in Spain - it has been debated many times & sometimes the debate gets quite hot...............
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by megmet
Firstly Coin is a completely different experience than Olvera, it is now one of the overflow towns from Fuengirola and as such is much more expensive.

Secondly, if you really are serious about learning the language and earning respect from the locals then start your learning now!
With only a few months left before your intended move you will find you have too many other things to plan and to do for a smooth relocation, you won't have the time for formal Spanish lessons, and anything less than that would be somewhat pointless!

Good luck with the move.
Hi

Coin does seem to to have reasonable rental rates (around £400 pounds per month for a house). We need to consider very carefully any area chosen though especially in terms of availability of Schools for boys etc.

We have made provisional plans to move around May/June

I am registering for formal spanish lessons within a few days. I do hope that four months or so of Spanish lessons will give me a good start and alow me to communicate at a very basic level initially. Obviously the real improvements wont begin until at the deep end. ha ha

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated as are any other comments as to best location for a family of four to rent for 12months whilst learning and living the Spanich way of life.

Ste
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
wherever you live they will be entitled to free state schooling

there are pros & cons to being in an area with oter UK kids - for some it means they never learn Spanish properly & never really mix, although I suspect this is largely down to the attitude of the family

where I live there are lots of brits - however we watch Spanish tele (only just got english a few weeks ago), go to see films at the cinema in spanish, mix with spanish people, don't go to Brit bars, I speak spanish & we often do at home - my kids are succeeding at school & to hear them speak you'd think they are spanish (I've been told this by many spanish people on first meeting them)

do a search of this forum about education in Spain - it has been debated many times & sometimes the debate gets quite hot...............
Hi

My wife and I are the type that truly value putting our heart and souls into the experience. We would never make this move were we to not do all we can to intergrate fully. I see learning the language as our number one priority, especially for our children. Who knows how valuable acquiring a second language may be for them in the future.

We realise that employment, house prices etc have all been hit hard in Spain (and most places in Europe) but are optimistic that this initial 12 month experience may at some stage in the future lead to much greater things. We feel sure the experience will not be a negative one. But we are realists too and expect a lot of hard work.

The future belongs to those who follow their dreams (albeit with a touch of realism ha ha)

You seem to have done a great job with your family.

Any further tips/advice will be greatly appreciated, especially about best places to rent and local Schools etc.

Thanks so much

Ste