Reload this Page >

Long let in Axarquia region

Long let in Axarquia region

Old Jul 10th 2012, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

diddlyidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long let in Axarquia region

Hi everyone
I am new to the Spain forum but quite while ago when we were thinking of emigrating to Australia i was actively involved in the discussions on that forum.
Australia never happened despite us getting residency visas as my DH decided he didn't want to go
Anyway we have been to Spain (the Axarquia region) a number of times recently and we tend to stay in the more rural parts and we have decided that we would like to spend a lot more time out there.
From next year our circumstances may possibly permit this so we have decided to start our homework now and plan how to do this.
We think that letting a property is the best thing initially and having had a quick look on the internet we think that monthly rental for a 2-3 bedroom property with a pool would cost around £450-£600 per month.
We are not sure whether we would have to pay water, electric, gas,rates on top of this.
We have just returned from a trip and we stayed nr Lake Vinuela and did 3 supermarket runs whilst we were there,once to Lidl and twice to Mercadona.Each time we were pleasantly surprised at the cost of groceries in comparison to the UK especially vino.
Petrol also seemed cheap at €1.43.
We think that our first trip may be for 4 months if we can get a short term let for that length of time and we was wondering whether to drive over or to hire a car, this is still something we need to research so if anybody has any thoughts on this any input would be appreciated.We think that driving would probably take about 27hrs and that we would cover just short of 2,000 miles.We haven't priced up car hire yet for that length of time.
Sorry if is post is a bit long winded but thank you for taking the time to read it
Old Jul 10th 2012, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long let in Axarquia region

Originally Posted by diddlyidi
Hi everyone
I am new to the Spain forum but quite while ago when we were thinking of emigrating to Australia i was actively involved in the discussions on that forum.
Australia never happened despite us getting residency visas as my DH decided he didn't want to go
Anyway we have been to Spain (the Axarquia region) a number of times recently and we tend to stay in the more rural parts and we have decided that we would like to spend a lot more time out there.
From next year our circumstances may possibly permit this so we have decided to start our homework now and plan how to do this.
We think that letting a property is the best thing initially and having had a quick look on the internet we think that monthly rental for a 2-3 bedroom property with a pool would cost around £450-£600 per month.
We are not sure whether we would have to pay water, electric, gas,rates on top of this.
We have just returned from a trip and we stayed nr Lake Vinuela and did 3 supermarket runs whilst we were there,once to Lidl and twice to Mercadona.Each time we were pleasantly surprised at the cost of groceries in comparison to the UK especially vino.
Petrol also seemed cheap at €1.43.
We think that our first trip may be for 4 months if we can get a short term let for that length of time and we was wondering whether to drive over or to hire a car, this is still something we need to research so if anybody has any thoughts on this any input would be appreciated.We think that driving would probably take about 27hrs and that we would cover just short of 2,000 miles.We haven't priced up car hire yet for that length of time.
Sorry if is post is a bit long winded but thank you for taking the time to read it
I live in the Axarquia region, but in the capital (Velez-Malaga) rather than the campo. Can't help with any views on car hire vs. bringing your own car over, as we don't have one (we find the public transport system here very good and as we live in an area of town where cars can't go it would be pretty pointless anyway).

I'd say your estimates for the cost of rental properties are about right, but in euros rather than pounds. Normally the landlord would pay the IBI (rates) and community fees if applicable, but you as the tenant would be responsible for water, electricity, gas, telephone, and internet bills. I do occasionally see some rentals advertised with utilities included, but as I say that's not the norm.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Last edited by Lynn R; Jul 10th 2012 at 1:58 pm. Reason: words omitted
Old Jul 10th 2012, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I live in the Axarquia region, but in the capital (Velez-Malaga) rather than the campo. Can't help with any views on car hire vs. bringing your own car over, as we don't have one (we find the public transport system here very good and as we live in an area of town where cars can't go it would be pretty pointless anyway).

I'd say your estimates for the cost of rental properties are about right, but in euros rather than pounds. Normally the landlord would pay the IBI (rates) and community fees if applicable, but you as the tenant would be responsible for water, electricity, gas, telephone, and internet bills. I do occasionally see some rentals advertised with utilities included, but as I say that's not the norm.

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Hi Lynn
Thanks for your response.We stayed in Trapiche and drove down into Velez Malaga where we did our supermarket shop which I think is on the outskirts.
Have you been living there long?
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddlyidi
Hi Lynn
Thanks for your response.We stayed in Trapiche and drove down into Velez Malaga where we did our supermarket shop which I think is on the outskirts.
Have you been living there long?
It will be six years come the end of October since we moved, we like it very much. The Lidl supermarket you mentioned is probably the one on the main road near the El Ingenio commercial centre, there are also two branches of Mercadona (which have their own car parks) in the centre of town.

We find it very convenient because everything is literally on our doorstep, and where we live, possibly because of the absence of traffic, is surprisingly quiet for a town location. No good for anybody with mobility problems or who can't cope with hills, though! Nor do you find many properties with pools (although there are a few, you never know what is behind the facades of the townhouses in Spain!).
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lynn R
It will be six years come the end of October since we moved, we like it very much. The Lidl supermarket you mentioned is probably the one on the main road near the El Ingenio commercial centre, there are also two branches of Mercadona (which have their own car parks) in the centre of town.

We find it very convenient because everything is literally on our doorstep, and where we live, possibly because of the absence of traffic, is surprisingly quiet for a town location. No good for anybody with mobility problems or who can't cope with hills, though! Nor do you find many properties with pools (although there are a few, you never know what is behind the facades of the townhouses in Spain!).
We quite like the look of Iznate and we are hoping to visit for about 5 days in November.We are also staying at Frigiliana in September in a villa perched high in the mountains where we have stayed before.
Could you recommend any good websites to look for villa rentals or is it best to look in local press
Old Jul 10th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't know Iznate, I'm afraid. Frigiliana is lovely, but bear in mind that if you are going to be here during the winter, anywhere with a mountain location is going to be COLD.

I can't give any personal recommendations for rental agencies because I've never used one, but you could have a look at www.rentahomespain.com which is based in Torre del Mar. There are dozens in Nerja which cover the Frigiliana area, many of them advertise in the free magazines you can pick up in shops or restaurants whilst you are here, but I couldn't say whether any of them is better than another.