Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

LOCATION ADVICE PLEASE

LOCATION ADVICE PLEASE

Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LOCATION ADVICE PLEASE

Originally Posted by beverleyp
Thanks Adrian for videos and Agoreira for your comment. The Costa Del Sol does not 'come naturally' so to speak, but if it ticks all the boxes then maybe. Am just concerned about moving from England to Little England on Sea!
Just depends exactly where you live in the Costa Del Sol. It is possible to mainly have Spanish neighbours and just go to Spanish shops, bars and restaurants here. There are still way more Spanish people than any other nationality!

I live in Benalmadena Pueblo and spend my time in Malaga, Arroyo, Mijas and Fuengirola and nothing reminds me of Britain and the only British people I speak to is my family, from time to time

It really depends on how you choose to live your life.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Cricketman. Really useful. Suppose at the end of the day am just looking for a bit of life for a change, we find Portugal or should I qualify that, our experience of the Silver Coast somewhat dead, suppressed. People lovely but depressed, not happy with their lot. Am looking for vibrancy...but not too much, fun, joie de vivre (not France!), plenty of activities, some voluntary work if there's no work...perhaps a bit of each. Please keep suggestions/general comments coming everyone.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Thanks Adrian for videos and Agoreira for your comment. The Costa Del Sol does not 'come naturally' so to speak, but if it ticks all the boxes then maybe. Am just concerned about moving from England to Little England on Sea!
Make sure you do visit Javea an Moraira as well. Just think of how hard the decision will be if you like both Costas!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking back, I started my Spanish journey in Estepona, 21 years ago. I loved it there then and would probably love it now, but the need to find out a bit more drove me onwards and upwards.

Along the way, I tried total Spanish immersion, well away from expats, but it didn’t work for me, unfortunately; probably because of one Spanish mayor who ruled the town I had chosen to live in with his extended family and we fell out.

I returned to the coast and have gotten used to all the things that I now need and have nearby. Although surrounded by expats, I visit Spanish friends five miles away on a regular basis, and some 100 yards away, who have never heard of Gordon Brown and can’t even say Hola in English.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

The Costa Del Sol does not 'come naturally' so to speak, but if it ticks all the boxes then maybe. Am just concerned about moving from England to Little England on Sea!
Marbella is hardly Little England on the Sea. Do you get your British run pubs and Indian takeaways? Yes. But, overall more than anything Marbella is THE resort for the Spanish. On the weekends it is packed with well to do Spaniards down from Madrid. If you want to be part of the expat scene, you can be. Or you could totally avoid it, both are possible in Marbella.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen many Brit pubs in marbella centre, just one or two. It is very spanish. Plenty of ex-pats in the hills if you want to mix though.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I haven't seen many Brit pubs in marbella centre, just one or two. It is very spanish. Plenty of ex-pats in the hills if you want to mix though.
There are a few. A couple of them on the seafront and some in the side streets. But, they don't stick out and can be easily avoided. Nothing like Fuengirola.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It seems a while since anyone's given any feedback on resort areas in Catalunya eg Salou, Tossa del Mar, Sitges. Do we have any members there, and would they be a good location for the OP?
Old Feb 9th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

beverleyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Stevie
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It seems a while since anyone's given any feedback on resort areas in Catalunya eg Salou, Tossa del Mar, Sitges. Do we have any members there, and would they be a good location for the OP?
Most people here seem to shy away from Catalonia because of the added issue of the Catalan language.

This is specially true for those who might be coming over with family and kids in school.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Most people here seem to shy away from Catalonia because of the added issue of the Catalan language.

This is specially true for those who might be coming over with family and kids in school.
The same applies to the Valencia region and Valenciano, which would exclude the Costa Blanca.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
The same applies to the Valencia region and Valenciano, which would exclude the Costa Blanca.
and shouldn't
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO

It also tends to be more expensive than further south. And the climate isnt quite as reliable. The Costa Brava is a beautiful place, but very expensive and very Catalan!