British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Living and working in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/living-working-spain-924292/)

Stevie_Valentine Apr 19th 2019 8:52 am

Living and working in Spain

Hi I'm in the process of a divorce from my partner and will walk away with an ok'ish lump sum of £150k. I have been a home maker for the last 12yrs so I have toyed with the idea of moving to Spain, as I love the sunshine Mediterranean culture. I'm not trained or skilled and am happy to clean, wait tables, bar work, dog walk or house/pet sit, as I will have enough to buy a property outright and have a bit saved by. Is this realistic to work to cover food and bills? Also what about winter will work suddenly dry up in the costas? I did gcse Spanish but will obviously brush up before I move.

Is Estepona a nice area? I have seen some nice options close to the beach there, would renting 1 of the bedrooms on a B&B basis work? I'm not expecting to live like royalty just enough to pay food and bills but have enough time to enjoy the beaches and climate.

Also so what other taxes can I expect to pay on a property and how much off can I expect to offer on a property?

Moses2013 Apr 19th 2019 9:06 am

Re: Living and working in Spain

Originally Posted by Stevie_Valentine (Post 12673030)
Hi I'm in the process of a divorce from my partner and will walk away with an ok'ish lump sum of £150k. I have been a home maker for the last 12yrs so I have toyed with the idea of moving to Spain, as I love the sunshine Mediterranean culture. I'm not trained or skilled and am happy to clean, wait tables, bar work, dog walk or house/pet sit, as I will have enough to buy a property outright and have a bit saved by. Is this realistic to work to cover food and bills? Also what about winter will work suddenly dry up in the costas? I did gcse Spanish but will obviously brush up before I move.

Is Estepona a nice area? I have seen some nice options close to the beach there, would renting 1 of the bedrooms on a B&B basis work? I'm not expecting to live like royalty just enough to pay food and bills but have enough time to enjoy the beaches and climate.

Also so what other taxes can I expect to pay on a property and how much off can I expect to offer on a property?

I suppose a lot will depend on other factors. For example age and do you have enough pension contributions? 150K is certainly a good amount but if you are 40 and can only find work now and then, will it last until retirement and what then? Even owning a property outright still means you have to pay taxes, although Estepona seems to have reduced IBI payments.

tebo53 Apr 19th 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Stevie_Valentine (Post 12673030)

you need to look into the requirements needed to reside in Spain such as health care and income etc
You will need to obtain an NIE number etc and have full private health care. A Spanish bank account with at least 3 months of income going directly into it and being enough to satisfy the authorities you will not be a burden on the state.
You will need to sign on the residents register within 90 days of living in Spain and meet all the requirements.
There are hundreds of people looking for jobs you have mentioned and if you're lucky enough to find bar work etc it will hardly pay enough. Have a long holiday in your chosen area and do the rounds calling in places to see if anything is available .

snikpoh Apr 19th 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12673043)
you need to look into the requirements needed to reside in Spain such as health care and income etc
You will need to obtain an NIE number etc and have full private health care. A Spanish bank account with at least 3 months of income going directly into it and being enough to satisfy the authorities you will not be a burden on the state.
You will need to sign on the residents register within 90 days of living in Spain and meet all the requirements.
There are hundreds of people looking for jobs you have mentioned and if you're lucky enough to find bar work etc it will hardly pay enough. Have a long holiday in your chosen area and do the rounds calling in places to see if anything is available .

You won't need to show income if you have sufficient savings

spainrico Apr 19th 2019 10:40 am

Making a living is not easy from these 'occupations' and to be legal you would need to have a work contract or to be self-employed means paying contributions for pension, health etc.

More on property here
https://www.pellicerheredia.com/en/real-estate

I think you need to do a lot of research and not burn UK bridges. Good luck.

Stevie_Valentine Apr 19th 2019 12:28 pm

I'm an EU citizen so moving, living and working in Spain is not an issue. It's just the getting work that concerns me lol.

Moses2013 Apr 19th 2019 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stevie_Valentine (Post 12673080)
I'm an EU citizen so moving, living and working in Spain is not an issue. It's just the getting work that concerns me lol.

It can still be an issue: Within three months of your arrival in Spain, you have to go in person to a Foreigners’ Office (Oficina de Extranjero) or local police station to register and be added to the Central Register of Foreign Nationals. You will need to have a valid passport or ID document and be able to show documentation to prove that you can support yourself (and any dependants), and may also be asked to show evidence that you have private or public healthcare insurance.

As said, the biggest issue will be that money can run out quickly and if you don't have enough pension contributions might end up in pensioner poverty. That's why your age would be important to know.

cermignano Apr 21st 2019 1:29 pm

Why not buy in UK and go travelling for a long holiday and see if it is for you?

jonboy Apr 21st 2019 8:42 pm

Why not just rent in Spain?

bfg69bug Apr 28th 2019 5:54 pm

I would look for a cheaper property, to have alot more left in the bank.

and not drink it all away when you realise that you can get a pint for € 1.50

ononno Apr 29th 2019 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Stevie_Valentine (Post 12673080)

We see so many of these sort of posts on ex pat forums, and it brings home how little UK voters, whether remainers or brexiters, know about so called 'free movement' and the processes and documentation required to move to, and live and work in a Club Med country.
I wish the OP the best of luck, and as has been said, do it all legally. At the end of the day it is not all that difficult, just different.
' lluego,
'o nonno.

Stevie_Valentine May 2nd 2019 3:34 pm

I'm 46, it was just an idea, I have no ties so was exploring options. Looks like I will keep it for another day when finances allow.

bobd22 May 2nd 2019 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stevie_Valentine (Post 12678445)
I'm 46, it was just an idea, I have no ties so was exploring options. Looks like I will keep it for another day when finances allow.

I think you have done the right thing by enquiring on here and getting some sound advice/information. Your problem given your age is going to be that you need to work to get by. There is still high unemployment in Spain and casual work as you mention is highly sort after by Spaniards who of course have the benefit of speaking Spanish. There are some people who do manage to do just as you have outlined you want to do and they do get by and enjoy their life in Spain but there are also many that fall by the wayside, hence the less than positive replies I'm afraid. The area you mention I do not know I'm afraid so I can't help you with that. Many on here are self sufficient in Spain as they came here to retire with pensions including state pension which currently brings with it free healthcare. I wouldn't say give up on your dream rather make sure you know exactly what you are doing and get to know well the area you would like to settle research work prospects etc best way would be if you can having an extended holiday in the area using it more of a fact finding work exploring opportunity than an holiday. You never know it may lead to something positive if not then better to be forewarned, good luck.

Stevie_Valentine May 2nd 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12678559)
I think you have done the right thing by enquiring on here and getting some sound advice/information. Your problem given your age is going to be that you need to work to get by. There is still high unemployment in Spain and casual work as you mention is highly sort after by Spaniards who of course have the benefit of speaking Spanish. There are some people who do manage to do just as you have outlined you want to do and they do get by and enjoy their life in Spain but there are also many that fall by the wayside, hence the less than positive replies I'm afraid. The area you mention I do not know I'm afraid so I can't help you with that. Many on here are self sufficient in Spain as they came here to retire with pensions including state pension which currently brings with it free healthcare. I wouldn't say give up on your dream rather make sure you know exactly what you are doing and get to know well the area you would like to settle research work prospects etc best way would be if you can having an extended holiday in the area using it more of a fact finding work exploring opportunity than an holiday. You never know it may lead to something positive if not then better to be forewarned, good luck.

thank you to everyone who took the time to reply

bfg69bug May 3rd 2019 6:06 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12673051)
You won't need to show income if you have sufficient savings

in malaga they dont care about money in the bank, the reason that they gave me was that the money could be spent tomorrow. They were looking for a provable monthly income ( full contract or pension)

bobd22 May 3rd 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 12678714)
in malaga they dont care about money in the bank, the reason that they gave me was that the money could be spent tomorrow. They were looking for a provable monthly income ( full contract or pension)

That may well depend upon where in Malaga region you apply? Certainly at Torre Del Mar it is a set amount deposited in the bank ( from memory around €4000 ish), a monthly income of certain amount or own a property debt free outright which negates any income or savings needed. It really is dependant on where and even the official you deal with. The Spanish government outlines specifics the individual authorities use these as guidelines as to what they think you need.

Fred James May 3rd 2019 9:44 am

The main reason for the variety of " financial resources" used by various offices is down to the fact that the government CANNOT lay down specific requirements. That is clearly stated in the EU Residency directive.

That gives the various people who make that assessment carte blanche to make it up as they go!

bfg69bug May 4th 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12678750)
That may well depend upon where in Malaga region you apply? Certainly at Torre Del Mar it is a set amount deposited in the bank ( from memory around €4000 ish), a monthly income of certain amount or own a property debt free outright which negates any income or savings needed. It really is dependant on where and even the official you deal with. The Spanish government outlines specifics the individual authorities use these as guidelines as to what they think you need.

my old man had 5 times that in the bank, and owns the house outright.

They still said no, until they saw his pension payment going in.

Thanks to Fred - basically we can give you all advice but you need to read every one of the comments, not just take one of our experiences as gospel - we all have different experiences, sometimes in the same area and office .. But at different times of the day / week !!!

bobd22 May 4th 2019 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 12679226)
my old man had 5 times that in the bank, and owns the house outright.

They still said no, until they saw his pension payment going in.

I did say and can only comment on Torre Del Mar office, it is in the Malaga region which in itself is a large area. Anyone wishing to get residencia/sign the foreigners register needs to ensure they know what their individual office they sign at requires for the very reason that Fred states.