Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in the sun in Spain.

Living in the sun in Spain.

Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
.:?? A good price in a climate that's the worse for Years ??:.

Probably be down another 50k in 6months..

DSB.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Dawn and Rocco's A Place in Spain: Costa Chaos. That ran for a few weeks.

A wonderful 'How Not To' guide, but great entertainment!

The TV companies just want the audience figures at the end of the day.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:28 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link Fred, but as I said it is weird that the actual house website does not give any information as to what you are renting or how much the rental is....
Another interesting thing is the house website is designed, hosted and marketed by Proweb company just like the listing site you gave. I wonder what the connection is?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

It's on now in the uk on itv x
His starting his own radio company.

I think it is still going strong too, So well done.

Last edited by missbad; Aug 24th 2009 at 12:43 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by missbad
It's on now in the uk on itv x
His starting his own radio company.

I think it is still going strong too, So well done.
Cool - I'm off to FilmOn it

DSB.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:38 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Thanks for the link Fred, but as I said it is weird that the actual house website does not give any information as to what you are renting or how much the rental is....
Another interesting thing is the house website is designed, hosted and marketed by Proweb company just like the listing site you gave. I wonder what the connection is?
It looks like they are migrating their website to be the http://www.andaluciahideaways.com/about.asp one instead of the casademedina one.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:55 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
As I said it has been on sale since shortly after the programme was shown. I saw it as recently as a couple of months ago. Can't remember where, probably one of those freebie property magazines.
Looks like they are running it and have it for sale at the same time. Perhaps they are now stuck and have such a large investment they cannot get away from it. Can't be good for bookings if people can see you are trying to sell.

750K for 4 earning bedrooms, Medina Sidonia is not near the sea (about 20 km inland) and is not the most upmarket of the pueblos blancos (certainly not a Ronda). Looks like they are running it more like a villa than a B&B - if they got an average of 1600 pw and had a 50% occupancy rate, it would gross 41,600 pa, probably netting south of 35,000 pa - not a wonderful return on 750k.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Looks like they are running it and have it for sale at the same time. Perhaps they are now stuck and have such a large investment they cannot get away from it. Can't be good for bookings if people can see you are trying to sell.

750K for 4 earning bedrooms, Medina Sidonia is not near the sea (about 20 km inland) and is not the most upmarket of the pueblos blancos (certainly not a Ronda). Looks like they are running it more like a villa than a B&B - if they got an average of 1600 pw and had a 50% occupancy rate, it would gross 41,600 pa, probably netting south of 35,000 pa - not a wonderful return on 750k.
The prices quoted are ridiculous. I went to Medina Sidonia a few months ago, while it is kinda pretty and useful to get to the amazing beaches (and I mean amazing), its pretty down and out in terms that I doubt there are any jobs paying more than 15k euros a year there. And its definitely not jet set. This makes the prices pure fantasy.

I would say 300k euros is more realistic. Once that happens the market will be good value again
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:33 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by cricketman
The prices quoted are ridiculous. I went to Medina Sidonia a few months ago, while it is kinda pretty and useful to get to the amazing beaches (and I mean amazing), its pretty down and out in terms that I doubt there are any jobs paying more than 15k euros a year there. And its definitely not jet set. This makes the prices pure fantasy.

I would say 300k euros is more realistic. Once that happens the market will be good value again
Can't argue with any of that - Vejer or Zahara de los Atunes would be better for the beaches. Medina needs to work a lot harder to attract tourists, not just splash a few extra buckets of cal around.

On the 300K, I think many people are still living in the past on their property value, there are houses in places like Medina that have been for sale for 5-10 years, hoping for the day the gullible foreigner comes in and falls in-love and is prepared to pay several times the real value. Certainly not mush of a return on investment available at the 750k.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

From what Ive seen of this programme people must leave their brains at the airport
They do little market research into the customer base they expect to attract.
In most cases dont speak Spanish and put all their eggs in one basket
Invest all their savings that has got a cats chance in hell.
Neverthe less makes good viewing because it is so unbeilivable how the people are so convinced they can make a success.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
From what Ive seen of this programme people must leave their brains at the airport
They do little market research into the customer base they expect to attract.
In most cases dont speak Spanish and put all their eggs in one basket
Invest all their savings that has got a cats chance in hell.
Neverthe less makes good viewing because it is so unbeilivable how the people are so convinced they can make a success.
Thats exactly why the TV producers choose them,.... as against others who appear to know precisely what they are about, but would probably be boring to watch.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:56 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

Whilst I agree with your figures you have to bear in mind you are purchasing a business and a house to live in. If this is taken into account things change a bit don't they?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

toyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud oftoyboy23 has much to be proud of

I think there’s a certain type of Brit that loves to see failure or probable failure.

It justifies their ‘do sod all then you can’t fail’ attitude to life.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Exclamation Re: Living in the sun in Spain.

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Whilst I agree with your figures you have to bear in mind you are purchasing a business and a house to live in. If this is taken into account things change a bit don't they?
3/4's of a Million Euro - It is not.
Even in "a good market" I think you'd be at, maybe, 500k.

DSB.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
3/4's of a Million Euro - It is not.
Even in "a good market" I think you'd be at, maybe, 500k.

DSB.
Sorry I am not asking the purchase price, so it is not my doing you think it is too high.
I still stand by what I said when purchasing a property which are two things; a business and somewhere you call home. You have to not only look at the financial part of the business and say the property is only worth X amount like you are you purchasing a business only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.