Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

living in spain working in gibraltar

living in spain working in gibraltar

Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

katy06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in spain working in gibraltar

Hi there just wondered if anyone can help me my husband has been put forward for 2 jobs in Gibraltar so hoping something good will come out of it, we been looking at long term lets but as we dont know areas not sure where to look it needs to be close enough for him to get to work , he would be looking at push biking if possible but he does drive. We need a area that is close to a good Spanish school as we have a 10, 5 and 2 year old.

Any one know of any nice areas ?

Also if we would get by on about 2000 euros a month

Many thanks kate x
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in spain working in gibraltar

Hi and welcome- I cannot help you but know that there are several members who live in Spain and work on Gib so I am sure that they will help once they see you message. Good luck.

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Hi and welcome- I cannot help you but know that there are several members who live in Spain and work on Gib so I am sure that they will help once they see you message. Good luck.

Rosemary
ok thank you x
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:01 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Katy

Many people live in Spain and work in Gib. Many are Spanish and live in La Linea - the Spanish border town. It has a poor reputation but I'm not entirely sure that it's fully deserved. Many Brits also live in Spain and work in Gib. I'm sure some of these live in La Linea but many live further out, anywhere from Estepona up the coast to Tarifa to the south. There are also many inland villages with expat communities - Jimena where I live and Los Barrios for example.

You need to come and take a look.

One thing you have to decide is the car issue. Your OH could cycle to work from La Linea and it is a large town with all facilities so you could do without a car. Just about the only other place he could cycle from is an urbanisation called Santa Margarita. Last time I was there it was a bit dead - it is basically a huge housing estate with very little - no shops or bars to speak of. I think you would struggle as a family living there without a car.

I can't help with schools. I would think you could live OK on 2000€ but everyone's expectations are different.

Anyway have a search around this forum - this question has cropped up a lot recently so there's a fair bit of info already here. Good luck.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimenato
Hi Katy

Many people live in Spain and work in Gib. Many are Spanish and live in La Linea - the Spanish border town. It has a poor reputation but I'm not entirely sure that it's fully deserved. Many Brits also live in Spain and work in Gib. I'm sure some of these live in La Linea but many live further out, anywhere from Estepona up the coast to Tarifa to the south. There are also many inland villages with expat communities - Jimena where I live and Los Barrios for example.

You need to come and take a look.

One thing you have to decide is the car issue. Your OH could cycle to work from La Linea and it is a large town with all facilities so you could do without a car. Just about the only other place he could cycle from is an urbanisation called Santa Margarita. Last time I was there it was a bit dead - it is basically a huge housing estate with very little - no shops or bars to speak of. I think you would struggle as a family living there without a car.

I can't help with schools. I would think you could live OK on 2000€ but everyone's expectations are different.

Anyway have a search around this forum - this question has cropped up a lot recently so there's a fair bit of info already here. Good luck.
ok thank you, we will have a car , i think like you say best to come and look round areas maybe rent somewhere close short term till we know where we want to be , dont really fancy having nothing to do with 3 young children , but also good school is very important so if any one has kids at a spanish school can help be great.

We looked at Manilva , anyone know what this area is like? as see a few nice places here

x
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:25 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katy06
ok thank you, we will have a car , i think like you say best to come and look round areas maybe rent somewhere close short term till we know where we want to be , dont really fancy having nothing to do with 3 young children , but also good school is very important so if any one has kids at a spanish school can help be great.

We looked at Manilva , anyone know what this area is like? as see a few nice places here

x
Manilva would be a good place to live with a good balance of Spanish and expats and close to Sabinillas /Puerto de la Duquesa. If you have a car you have many more choices. When I was considering doing what you are doing I was going to drive to La Linea, park and bike into Gib - a good plan.

I have a friend with a daughter at Junior school in Sabinillas (Manilva) and he describes the school she is at as 'fantastic'. The school is called Maicandil.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Also think of family health care as Gib and Spain are different countries and your husbands works cover may not be valid while you are living in Spain
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimenato
Manilva would be a good place to live with a good balance of Spanish and expats and close to Sabinillas /Puerto de la Duquesa. If you have a car you have many more choices. When I was considering doing what you are doing I was going to drive to La Linea, park and bike into Gib - a good plan.

I have a friend with a daughter at Junior school in Sabinillas (Manilva) and he describes the school she is at as 'fantastic'. The school is called Maicandil.
thanks thats great will have a look for that school now, good idea about driving then biking in

x
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Also think of family health care as Gib and Spain are different countries and your husbands works cover may not be valid while you are living in Spain
hmm yes good thinking , not sure where to start on that one
Old Apr 13th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

thanks thats great will have a look for that school now, good idea about driving then biking in

x
do you have a link to the school website please, i tried a search in goole but just keeps taking me to forums on it
Old Apr 13th 2011, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

x
You will be close to a beach wherever you live, that should keep the children entertained for some time.