Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain WITHOUT residencia ??

Living in Spain WITHOUT residencia ??

Old Feb 25th 2019, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in Spain WITHOUT residencia ??

I´m not saying this is what I´m doing, I´m just looking to discuss the implications. (I´ve been resident for 20 years) with all the talk of Brexit and you must have residencia etc etc ... ?? why must you have it ? I´m not suggesting that nobody bothers, I´m not saying this is how it should be done, I´m just asking "what if" ?

What is to actually stop someone from Living in Spain without residencia?

If you dont need to open a resident bank account and pay everything in cash? you dont need it to buy a car...you dont need it to get a job...nobody is ever going to stop you in the street and ask for it? ... you can have a passport from (for example) the UK and you dont need a residencia to renew the passport... If you have Kids then they would need it to get into school - but for example.. a young couple, working in spain, passports and driving licences valid for 10 years etc... whats to stop them living here for 10 years, not paying tax, not paying medical insurance etc etc?

If they have a major accident and dont have residencia and rely on an EHIC ? (yes, after 29/3 it will probably change), then they might be sent a bill from the hospital?

If they have a car accident and just show their passport?

If they get pulled over by the guardia?

Anyone got any other suggestions where NOT having a piece of paper might cause an issue?

Its interesting to find out peoples opinions
Old Feb 25th 2019, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain WITHOUT residencia ??

The main thing that would stop you is ....its illegal and you would be an illegal immigrant. Therefore yo would be subject to the laws of imprisonment and deportation. So I guess that's a good enough reason for not doing it

Last edited by 1sexsmith; Feb 25th 2019 at 10:09 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

I know of many expats that do just that, they use a friends/family address as there UK one but actually live in Spain, in fact it seams to be the norm rather than the exception.

I believe there are at least twice the official figure of expats living in Spain, It depends on one's circumstances i guess, if you are renting and have little in the way of possessions then you probably don't have much to lose if caught, if however you own a house then any repercussions would result in your house being part of any settlement the Spanish authority's may deam applicable.

On a personal level and as someone who is a genuine none resident of Spain with all taxes paid up in both Spain and the UK i couldn't sleep at night if i was playing the system as some do, of course we still dont know what changes Brexit will make but it can only make it harder to live "under the radar", a phrase that I hear so often from expats
Old Feb 25th 2019, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
The main thing that would stop you is ....its illegal and you would be an illegal immigrant. Therefore yo would be subject to the laws of imprisonment and deportation. So I guess that's a good enough reason for not doing it

I totally agree with you ...

But unless you (a person without residencia) did anything wrong, how would anyone, except themselves, know anything about it ? Yes, the "guilt" - but the people that like being under the radar.. the builders with english vans...the families on benifits living in the sun paying everything with bags of coins etc etc

I think that until the government brings out a "resident card" like they are talking about at the moment for the post-brexit situation and that is the ONLY form of ID allowed - then the people living illegally will continue.

I can imagine that doing everything "the wrong way" could become very difficult at times - i mean.. you can have a car.. and drive it.. it doesnt mean that it has to be in your name or even insured in your name...

someone who i unfortunatly know quite well... that has 2 cars.. one is registered in gibralter... when stopped in the gibralter one .. "no i live in gib, heres my address.. (his sons girlfriends mums house .. shes in the police force on gib ) ... the other one is still in one of my customers names...when stopped in that one "no its my friends"... they live in spain... i wonder if they are still paying for his road tax unwittingly from their bank account...

Its easy to "get around" things if you have enough.. cojones. None of the family are resident either.. which is going to be very funny if they get caught .. ever with his attitude " no i will never be resident" etc etc, england is so much better..

Last edited by bfg69bug; Feb 25th 2019 at 11:09 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:13 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You would also have to break the law with regard to driving here.

The plastic licence expires after 10 years, to replace it you MUST get a Spanish one which requires you to be resident. If you renew it in UK at a 'friends' address then this is fraud and the licence is invalid so you will not be insured either.
Old Feb 25th 2019, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is very true Snikpoh, but would someone who doesnt care about residencia etc care about updating a photocard licence? Afterall "my paper licence says I can drive til 2050" etc.

Unless the person got stopped while driving.. how would anyone know?

I´m really not being "pedantic" - this is a discussion, It would be quite easy to "slip through" if you wernt breaking the law .. driving like an idiot etc? The chances of being stopped at a random road block and being caught out must be pretty slim I imagine? I´ve only ever been stopped 2 or 3 times in 20 years.

Old Feb 26th 2019, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
This is very true Snikpoh, but would someone who doesnt care about residencia etc care about updating a photocard licence? Afterall "my paper licence says I can drive til 2050" etc.

Unless the person got stopped while driving.. how would anyone know?

I´m really not being "pedantic" - this is a discussion, It would be quite easy to "slip through" if you wernt breaking the law .. driving like an idiot etc? The chances of being stopped at a random road block and being caught out must be pretty slim I imagine? I´ve only ever been stopped 2 or 3 times in 20 years.

Yeah give a **** about the rule of law? Then don't complain if people answer in kind. What about people that don't care about ownership? Ok for them to take your things? I think we should all value and maintain the rule of law. Rule of law protects you from despotism by others. If you don't like a specific law there are legal methods to try and change it. Ignoring is not one of them.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 12:24 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with you ...
I think that until the government brings out a "resident card" like they are talking about at the moment for the post-brexit situation and that is the ONLY form of ID allowed - then the people living illegally will continue.
The only form of official ID for a British citizen will be as now, a UK passport. Any "foreigners card" will be necessary, but the only way of proving your identity is with a passport. If there was a UK ID card, that would be different, but, as yet, there isn't.
That said, the new card would be acceptable in most situations.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few random police stops outside of torrevieja now. At least every Sunday.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Assanah
Yeah give a **** about the rule of law? Then don't complain if people answer in kind. What about people that don't care about ownership? Ok for them to take your things? I think we should all value and maintain the rule of law. Rule of law protects you from despotism by others. If you don't like a specific law there are legal methods to try and change it. Ignoring is not one of them.
You seem very angry, perhaps you should go sit in the sun and relax.

Originally Posted by Fred James
The only form of official ID for a British citizen will be as now, a UK passport. Any "foreigners card" will be necessary, but the only way of proving your identity is with a passport. If there was a UK ID card, that would be different, but, as yet, there isn't.
That said, the new card would be acceptable in most situations.
- Sorry Fred, I meant for things like town hall, national police, guardia road checks, with your credit card in the shops etc etc. I know "we" can use our passports but nobody likes to carry them.

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
There are quite a few random police stops outside of torrevieja now. At least every Sunday.
good
Old Feb 26th 2019, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course there are plenty who have and do just as you say. However they are breaking the law in both UK and Spain. If not actually a British resident they shouldn't have either access to UK health care or EHIC other than a&e. They would breach obviously Spanish and EU immigration laws as they would be illegal immigrants, the same as the illegal immigrants in the UK that lead to the fury uproar and brexit. When they get caught and they do these days especially if dodging fiscal residency and paying Spanish tax then they have to accept the penalty whatever that is.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 3:32 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

- Sorry Fred, I meant for things like town hall, national police, guardia road checks, with your credit card in the shops etc etc. I know "we" can use our passports but nobody likes to carry them.
No one is going to risk carrying a passport. I just have a certified copy of all my docs - registration, passport and driving licence - I never carry the originals.

Yes, for ID in shops etc, anything goes. Favourite is a Spanish driving licence, but we normally use a 10 years old Residence Card!

I was stopped for speeding a couple of years ago. I was test driving a new car with the intention of buying it so I was driving "enthusiastically". All my papers were in my car at the dealer. Luckily I have a police app on my phone (called Alert Cops - try it) which allows to to report accidents, robberies, fights etc direct to the police. Of course you need to register your ID, etc. with them, but they were quite happy to accept a view of my personal data in the app. Sadly, it didn't stop them fining me!

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 26th 2019 at 3:38 am.
Old Feb 26th 2019, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Brits are quick to moan about immigrants ignoring/bending the rules in the UK but it seems some on this thread think its fine and dandy to bend the system, ignore the rules and ignore the law for them in Spain, shame on them
Old Feb 26th 2019, 4:25 am

Hopefully they will all get thrown out, but sadly I doubt it!
Old Feb 26th 2019, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Hopefully they will all get thrown out, but sadly I doubt it!
Would be easy to catch up with them = border control when they come and go. After Brexit legal stay could be limited to 90 days. Longer stay may need a visa. If Thais can winkle out overstays, Spain should be able to do the same.

Last edited by Thairetired2016; Feb 26th 2019 at 6:17 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.