Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain for part of the year

Living in Spain for part of the year

Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:34 am
Just Joined

sheddweller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Spain for part of the year

We intend to register and live in Spain for 7/8 months of the year but will still keep our British address. Can we still keep our British bank accounts by using our British address?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain for part of the year

Yes. Most do.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheddweller
We intend to register and live in Spain for 7/8 months of the year but will still keep our British address. Can we still keep our British bank accounts by using our British address?
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:01 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You and thousands of others...

If you have a Santander account in the UK (in sterling) you can use Santander machines here without charge, and you get a very good exchange rate (usually far better than any exchanger).

But you might want to open an account in Spain, just for the routine stuff. We've had great experiences with LaCaixa. Branches and ATMs everywhere, comprehensive and easy to use online banking, in 7 languages.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 9:12 am
Just Joined

sheddweller is an unknown quantity at this point

Re the above we already have a Spanish account with LLoyds (formerly Halifax) and Halifax accounts in the UK. We also already have an apartment which we bought several years ago so have an N.I.E. number.
If we register with a Spanish doctor can we still keep our UK doctor for when we are in UK?
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:08 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Re the above we already have a Spanish account with LLoyds (formerly Halifax) and Halifax accounts in the UK. We also already have an apartment which we bought several years ago so have an N.I.E. number.
If we register with a Spanish doctor can we still keep our UK doctor for when we are in UK?
This is where it gets messy!

If you are here for 7/8 months of the year, then you have to register as resident. To do this, you have to prove sufficient income and prove that you have health cover. If you are retired, then this shouldn't be a problem as you will already be covered (with the required forms etc.).

But, as a Spanish resident, you will have to relinquish your right to UK health care - as far as I know, that is!

For people like you who spend time in two or more countries, it's really quite a nightmare. Regarding health specifically, I think the best idea would be to get world-wide private cover.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:26 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I never know from one year to the next wether I'll spend a few more days in one or the other but one thing I would never do is give up my UK health rights.
This applies now more than ever before as Spain is now finding it very difficult if not impossible to continue providing a decent service.
If you want to play it by the book, thats your choice, but I know where my priorities lie.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you not split it into 3 month stints in Spain be easier? Not sure how long you would have to be out before the next 3 months starts? or even if you have to return to UK or maybe visit another EU Country for a short stay, may work don't know what peoples thoughts are.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

keep your UK GP and have 'long holidays' with private health insurance cover for Spain. Its much simpler.
But if you choose an annual travel insurance, check your insurance policy as some only last for a period of 30 days (or more). Even if they are annual policies. This means you can go away for any 30 day period, as many times as you like over the year, but you must return 'home' at the end of the 30 days. Insurers will check flight tickets to ensure that you have done this.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We are registered here and have been since I was 60 three years ago, but I knowe we have yet to be taken off the gp list in UK, hmmm bet it is because the surgery have not sent notes back, am sure they will have been askedm but they are paid for not treating us lol.
Anyway think health service much better here, certainly was when OH used it last year with heart problem
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

When I finally retire I'm planning on spending 1/3 year in spain, 1/3 in UK and 1/3 somewhere else (non EU). I wonder where that would leave me regards as to where my main place of residence would be.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:17 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I can't complain about the service I've previously received in Spain.
Quite often amazing considering the pressures the overworked staff have been under.

Unfortunately it's becoming increasingly obvious that this cannot and is not able continue with the current financial restrictions and there is every indication of a further decline in services.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

But, as a Spanish resident, you will have to relinquish your right to UK health care - as far as I know, that is!

That is strictly true, but if you have a UK address, and just forget to tell them you have moved, then you should still be on their books, and get NHS health care. Strictly speaking it would be illegal, BUT, there are thousands of Brits living in Spain and other EU countries who are doing the same thing. I can't suggest that is what you do as I would be condoning an illegal act.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 4:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raddickle
When I finally retire I'm planning on spending 1/3 year in spain, 1/3 in UK and 1/3 somewhere else (non EU). I wonder where that would leave me regards as to where my main place of residence would be.
Remember that the UK consider a total of 90 days (not consecutive) as being tax resident. The rules are pretty complex but that's the gist of it.

If you do manage to stay in a variety of places without becoming tax resident then you are a "Fiscal Nomad". The problem is that most countries insist that you pay tax on any income arising in their country irrespective of whether you are a tax resident or not.

Take the case of the UK state and personal or company pensions which of course originate in the UK. HMRC will only allow them to be paid gross if you can show that you are paying tax on them in a country that has a double tax treaty with the UK.

That's why when you move to Spain and fill in the HMRC FD9 form applying for tax exemption you have to get it stamped by Hacienda.

It's not as easy as some people think to avoid the tax unless it is from offshore investments in a country that doesn't tax them.
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

You would be better off staying in Spain for less than 183 days in a Spanish tax year (calender year) and not more than 90 days in one go to avoid becoming a resident. As you will be in the UK for more than 90 days you will still be tax resident there and still able to use the health service for free. As you will not be resident in Spain you can use the EU health card and get treated there for free as well though you probably would not want to tell them you have property in Spain as it will confuse the issue. The Spanish will not be able to tax your UK income but you will have to pay a small amount of tax if you do not rent out your Spanish property as you will not officially be resident there.

There are possible advantages in this beyond health care as I suspect future UK government will have to restrict UK pensions to people who are resident in the UK at the time of retirement - as the UK government moves deeper into bankruptcy the cuts will eventually come like a hammer blow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.