Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

living in spain (family )

living in spain (family )

Old Nov 30th 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

upandatem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in spain (family )

Ok ,,here goes would love to move to and live in spain had a look at the housing market seems to be alot of bargains ...
Has anyone moved there and are still there (settled) would you recommend as a family life style ?

GGOD...AND ...BAD ...Please
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:09 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: living in spain (family )

Originally Posted by upandatem
Ok ,,here goes would love to move to and live in spain had a look at the housing market seems to be alot of bargains ...
Has anyone moved there and are still there (settled) would you recommend as a family life style ?

GGOD...AND ...BAD ...Please
lots of us have moved here & would totally recommend the family lifestyle

however........... if you'd be looking for work then now wouldn't be the time to come
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll kick off with the question everyone will ask. If you are moving as a family and thus presumably are not all retired, what will the bread winner do to make a living?

Assuming you have enough money each month to live on, Spain is a good place for families. You will need to learn the language to get the best out of life. One caveat I would add is that teenage lads seem to struggle when it comes to getting a Spanish girlfriend. In fact for older children the future doesn't look too good in terms of employment. You will be well aware of the 50% youth unemployment rate.

Restaurants etc are geared up for families. One near us has a special play area.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
One caveat I would add is that teenage lads seem to struggle when it comes to getting a Spanish girlfriend.
From my experience, to get a Spanish girlfriend, the girl needs to think that you will fit in with her family.

While to get an English girlfriend, you need to be as undesirable as possible to her family

A generalisation, I know
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Well I'll kick off with the question everyone will ask. If you are moving as a family and thus presumably are not all retired, what will the bread winner do to make a living?

Assuming you have enough money each month to live on, Spain is a good place for families. You will need to learn the language to get the best out of life. One caveat I would add is that teenage lads seem to struggle when it comes to getting a Spanish girlfriend. In fact for older children the future doesn't look too good in terms of employment. You will be well aware of the 50% youth unemployment rate.

Restaurants etc are geared up for families. One near us has a special play area.

Thank you olive farmer,,, i would be the bread winner truck driver /do alot of spain so i thought why not move there .
my kids are still at school, and when they are old enough they can work in the uk,,,,
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:28 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you olive farmer,,, i would be the bread winner truck driver /do alot of spain so i thought why not move there .
my kids are still at school, and when they are old enough they can work in the uk,,,,
if you're still going to be working for the same company then go for it!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you're still going to be working for the same company then go for it!
lhi ynnxa .
Yes it would be for the same firm,,the banks over there are giving 100//% morgages on re_possed propertys some good deals ..
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there are some good repo deals, but it's still a good idea to rent for a while and make sure you like the area and have the right schools for your kids. Otherwise you could get stuck with a house you can't sell - and prices are still falling!
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids and do they already speak Spanish? Just thinking that unless they are very small they are going to have a problem fitting into a Spanish state school, and the international schools that teach in English are really, really expensive!

I'm sure you've thought this through, sorry for sticking my nose in.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
How old are your kids and do they already speak Spanish? Just thinking that unless they are very small they are going to have a problem fitting into a Spanish state school, and the international schools that teach in English are really, really expensive!

I'm sure you've thought this through, sorry for sticking my nose in.
hi Pocaloca..
2 are young enough to learn another lingo ...my view is if you dont make the effort then you wont learn /i am sure the spanish will soon put you right if you say something wrong or have a good laugh ..
Old Nov 30th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

just as a matter of interest how much are flights these days////and how much rent would you expect to pay for a 4 bedroomed property on average without going into pools.ect
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi Pocaloca..
2 are young enough to learn another lingo ...my view is if you dont make the effort then you wont learn /i am sure the spanish will soon put you right if you say something wrong or have a good laugh ..
That's true, but might not be much fun in a maths lesson ...
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

just as a matter of interest how much are flights these days////and how much rent would you expect to pay for a 4 bedroomed property on average without going into pools.ect
Depends on the time of year, where you are going and the airline, you can check on the websites for Easyjet or Ryanair. Anything between 50 and 200 pounds each way when you include the taxes, then you pay extra for your bags.

Rents again depend where you are, how far from the coast etc. There's some here for Valencia province that will give you an idea what's on the market.

http://www.fotocasa.es/viviendas/valencia-provincia/alquiler/
Old Nov 30th 2012, 5:41 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

hi Pocaloca..
how young though?

if they're around 9/10 years old it would be really difficult to get up to speed well enough to study in Spanish

any older than that, although a few do manage, that are a very small minority
Old Dec 1st 2012, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, will the children have qualifications recognised in the UK when they have no choice but to return in the hope of finding work and somewhere to live?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.