Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in Spain, commuting to UK for work - Tax/SS question

Living in Spain, commuting to UK for work - Tax/SS question

Old Jul 13th 2017, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Dazbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Spain, commuting to UK for work - Tax/SS question

I am about to move to Spain, but will be commuting to the UK to do my work as will only be a few days per month. No work will be carried out in Spain - the revised contract makes that clear.

The company accountant says in this situation I will pay tax and NI in the UK. I will have to declare my world-wide income in Spain but I would not be liable for Spanish Social Security as I am commuting.

The company already has someone doing this from France, but I thought I would check this also correct for Spain?

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2017, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living in Spain, commuting to UK for work - Tax/SS question

Originally Posted by Dazbear
I am about to move to Spain, but will be commuting to the UK to do my work as will only be a few days per month. No work will be carried out in Spain - the revised contract makes that clear.

The company accountant says in this situation I will pay tax and NI in the UK. I will have to declare my world-wide income in Spain but I would not be liable for Spanish Social Security as I am commuting.

The company already has someone doing this from France, but I thought I would check this also correct for Spain?

Thanks
Under the circumstances you describe, I believe your company acountant is correct. Note, you should obtain an S1 so that you are covered for health in Spain. There's some information here
Old Jul 14th 2017, 8:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
Under the circumstances you describe, I believe your company acountant is correct. Note, you should obtain an S1 so that you are covered for health in Spain. There's some information here
S1 is, AFAIK, only available to pensioners, he would have to declare autonomo and pay the levy so that he was able to be in the Spanish healthcare system, or pay for private care, he wouldn't be able to get NHS treatment as he would no longer be ordinarily resident in the UK
Old Jul 14th 2017, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

As far as I know the A1 form is to prove that you dont need to pay social security in the country where you are living, but is only needed when you are posted as a worker temporarily. There's some information here. There's also some information here about the S1.

The best people to advise you are HMRC
Old Jul 15th 2017, 6:43 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
S1 is, AFAIK, only available to pensioners, he would have to declare autonomo and pay the levy so that he was able to be in the Spanish healthcare system, or pay for private care, he wouldn't be able to get NHS treatment as he would no longer be ordinarily resident in the UK
The S1, Mike, is also for workers seconded or working abroad.

Take a look at the links provided.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Dazbear is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't be seconded, we are avoiding that wording as the Spanish Authorities may deem the company is 'operating out of Spain' which it isn't - I am commuting to the UK. I think I will take out private healthcare - keep it all simple
Old Jul 16th 2017, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazbear
I won't be seconded, we are avoiding that wording as the Spanish Authorities may deem the company is 'operating out of Spain' which it isn't - I am commuting to the UK. I think I will take out private healthcare - keep it all simple
After a year registered on the Padron you are eligible for the Conveno Especial whereby you can opt to pay into the local healthcare system.