Reload this Page >

Living in Spain after Brexit - requirements

Living in Spain after Brexit - requirements

Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

sufferingStreetCat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in Spain after Brexit - requirements

Hi all,

Anybody know what barriers will be faced after Brexit we become non-EU nationals?

I'm aware that moving there after Brexit will be near impossible for most of us (we'd require at least 500,000 euros to invest in a property in actual money, ie non financed for starters).

Any other regulations that will be directed at us if we want to move there/retire there?

I heard some mentions of a retirement visa, but no idea how that works after leaving the EU fully.

Think it will be good to have a central thread with all sorts of barriers we will face as a non-EU national in the future...
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Spain after Brexit - requirements

Originally Posted by sufferingStreetCat
..... I'm aware that moving there after Brexit will be near impossible for most of us (we'd require at least 500,000 euros to invest in a property in actual money, ie non financed for starters). ....
You already appear to know more than anyone else posting on BE about the post-Brexit situation of British citizens and the European Onion, not to mention more than any journalist I have seen writing about the post-Brexit situation.

Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly more than the politicians too.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You already appear to know more than anyone else posting on BE about the post-Brexit situation of British citizens and the European Onion, not to mention more than any journalist I have seen writing about the post-Brexit situation.

This is exactly it!!!
I only happened upon an article about it (even though its a couple of years old) recently and wondered what other minefield/obstacles there are?

I read a couple of UKIP members who voted leave and complained about the drop in pound to euro that will make buying in Spain more expensive....

I only hope they delay their decision to realise just how hard it is to buy property and actually live there post Brexit!

I also don't really see it mentioned elsewhere, so thought this would be a good place to find out other regulations.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly it!!!
I only happened upon an article about it (even though its a couple of years old) recently ....
So an article from a couple of years ago has factual information about the post-brexit situation of British citizens and the EU?
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you're talking about the 'golden visa' then, in even the unlikely scenario that there is no deal and Spain doesn't act unilaterally, most Brits wouldn't need one as they could apply for either work, study or retirement visas depending on their circumstances.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

The powers that be have no idea at the moment so I'm sure none of us know on here, we can always make guesses but we dont know, it's a waiting game I'm afraid
Old Feb 5th 2018, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Short answer, we don't know. Thus having a "central thread" about it is just not possible.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So an article from a couple of years ago has factual information about the post-brexit situation of British citizens and the EU?
An article about what the requirements are for non-EU residents.
You can also check the Spanish government's website on it.
The article simply pointed to Spain's rule on this. It's simply a fact for non-EU nationals. Or you don't understand the underlying point?

You seem to completely miss the point that those sort of rules will apply for future British, if they want to live in Spain, should "hard" brexit happen.

I think retirement visa would be impossible for a lot of British retirees as you have to sign a declaration that you have no serious health issues and will not be a burden on the public health service. Aside from purchasing healthcare insurance.

Point is, right now there aren't restrictions such as this. Do people know this? And just how much it will affect people's plans.

What I wanted to ask (as people are saying we dont know what will happen) is what is the CURRENT restrictions for non-EU nationals to be aware of?
Might as well plan for the worst, hope for the best...
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

An article about what the requirements are for non-EU residents.
You can also check the Spanish government's website on it.
The article simply pointed to Spain's rule on this. It's simply a fact for non-EU nationals. Or you don't understand the underlying point?

You seem to completely miss the point that those sort of rules will apply for future British, if they want to live in Spain, should "hard" brexit happen.

I think retirement visa would be impossible for a lot of British retirees as you have to sign a declaration that you have no serious health issues and will not be a burden on the public health service. Aside from purchasing healthcare insurance.

Point is, right now there aren't restrictions such as this. Do people know this? And just how much it will affect people's plans.

What I wanted to ask (as people are saying we dont know what will happen) is what is the CURRENT restrictions for non-EU nationals to be aware of?
Might as well plan for the worst, hope for the best...
Everything that has so far been published about Brexit and what will happen to British Citizens is, at the moment, pure speculation made up by people who do not know any facts, even the UK government doesn't know as they are still discussing the terms, The UK Parliament is currently throwing spanners in the works as he 'withdrawal bill; was thrown out by the House of Lords and sent back to the commons to be refined.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Anybody know what barriers will be faced after Brexit we become non-EU nationals?

Think it will be good to have a central thread with all sorts of barriers we will face as a non-EU national in the future...

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:21 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There are already plenty of threads that encourage people to speculate on what will occur with Brexit so yet another is not necessary therefore I am closing this thread.

Rosemary