Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Living in spain 4-5 month a year, but where?

Living in spain 4-5 month a year, but where?

Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

peaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nice
Default Living in spain 4-5 month a year, but where?

hi guys

been following the forums for years and I think its time for me to do my first post!

I've spend years in the US primarily in Florida but are now back in the UK on the southcoast. I must admit that I start missing my "life" in the US, but distance and timezone isn't compatible with my work environment...

I love sailing, flying, fishing, love the good weather on the southcoast of spain, have friends around Malaga/Marbella, so i've decided to have a look down there.

Before I make my mind up I have some questions, mostly in regards to

* safety, is crime an issue?

* where to live? I prefer renting to start with, a nice 3-4 house with pool in a gated community would be my preference, whats the rental cost?

It would be easiest to just rent a house, use a british registered car for puddling about, have a spanish sim in my phone, broadband in the house and then just keep it simple, anyone else doing that?
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lving in spain 4-5 month a year, but where?

Originally Posted by peaeuropa
hi guys

been following the forums for years and I think its time for me to do my first post!

I've spend years in the US primarily in Florida but are now back in the UK on the southcoast. I must admit that I start missing my "life" in the US, but distance and timezone isn't compatible with my work environment...

I love sailing, flying, fishing, love the good weather on the southcoast of spain, have friends around Malaga/Marbella, so i've decided to have a look down there.

Before I make my mind up I have some questions, mostly in regards to

* safety, is crime an issue?

* where to live? I prefer renting to start with, a nice 3-4 house with pool in a gated community would be my preference, whats the rental cost?

It would be easiest to just rent a house, use a british registered car for puddling about, have a spanish sim in my phone, broadband in the house and then just keep it simple, anyone else doing that?
Welcome. Can't help with gated communities. British car is only ok for a limited time I THINK - there's been much discussion of that -a site search might turn up more. Broadband I don't know - can't get it! Rentals? Varies widely by area I think. I guess plenty will say spend some time surfing. Areas vary widely both in character and cost so it's down to choice.
Unfortunately that's also very true of the one I have a view on, which is safety. I think it depends on what you're used to, what you expect, etc.
As I've said before on here, I often go out & leave the house unlocked, occasionally in dippy moments leave the door open, and would have no fear of burglary because of where we live - which is deep in the campo, at the end of a track where the only other passers by are my beekeeper neighbour and goats. However that isn't any different really from where I lived in Suffolk, nor where I lived in Gloucestershire. More remote for sure, and more goats (!) but I was equally secure there. Ultimately you need to hear from someone where you want to live. Good luck in your search.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the safety thing is all relative. In Spain we have not been burgled and not really seen much crime, although OK thats maybe particular to the area we live in

When we lived in the UK we were burgled in four of the six houses we lived in and had a car broken into. My business was broken into in one way or another many times

I kept a RHD car over here for 4 years with no problems, although there are those that think a RHD car over here is dangerous. As always ... its the way you drive them that is dangerous.

I dont see many gated communities around here. Rentals vary area to area so you would need to give an idea where you are going before getting an accurate answer
Old Nov 20th 2010, 3:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

My area to the south of Alicante has many gated communities, they have to because of ridiculous crime levels and I can’t honestly recommend it if you’re looking for a safe environment.

I’ve also lived on the Costa del Sol and I don’t wish to sound bleak, but crime levels are a problem there too. There are gated communities in the hills immediately behind Marbella; I don’t know the rental costs but those are million Euro villas.

Many inland towns in Andalucia, and everywhere else in Spain, are much safer, especially the ones without too many expats, horrible as that may sound.

The well protected, gated communities at Sotogrande might suit your needs, but as always, such safety (and beauty) comes at a price.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 6:35 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in spain 4-5 month a year, but where?

Many inland towns in Andalucia, and everywhere else in Spain, are much safer, especially the ones without too many expats, horrible as that may sound.
It's often said by Spanish I meet, that there's no crime in northern Spain (I don't think they're including political stuff in the Basque region though). It's certainly true that in many villages there you can leave your door unlocked without any fear of illegal entry. Not so sure that would be the case in one or two of the bigger cities though. I don't think it's just a case of few expats, more the case that the resident population have lived locally for generations, and would soon spot any suspicious characters or behaviour. Same anywhere really ( I've lived in a Derbyshire village where you could leave your doors unlocked). Marvellous scenery up north too, and plenty of coastline. But be warned - it's not called the Green coast for nothing...
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
My area to the south of Alicante has many gated communities, they have to because of ridiculous crime levels and I can’t honestly recommend it if you’re looking for a safe environment.

I’ve also lived on the Costa del Sol and I don’t wish to sound bleak, but crime levels are a problem there too. There are gated communities in the hills immediately behind Marbella; I don’t know the rental costs but those are million Euro villas.

The well protected, gated communities at Sotogrande might suit your needs, but as always, such safety (and beauty) comes at a price.
I have to agree with HBC. You don't hear much about crime in a friendly inland Pueblo. But anywhere the expats congregate...the criminals follow.
All those empty houses, presumably with all those unprotected luxury goods.
I was down in Faro Portugal recently staying at a hotel behind which was a big development of villas. We took a walk and were shocked by the number of barking dogs as we passed. Every single villa had dogs, alarms and many had obviously been burgled at some time because they had add onnn height extensions to their fences. It horrifies me and I couldn't live that way. I've never lived in a wealthy area and (it seems) consequently never had my house burgled.
If you want to live in the sun in a new build without the 'hassle' of integrating. You will probably find crime a problem, Unless you live in a fortress.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

But it's only common sense to have an alarm on your house, if not only for your peace of mind

Crime happens ..... I dont think it's any worse here than it was in the UK to be honest. You just have to take precautions, as you would anywhere. For sure some areas here will be worse than others, but I dont live on a gated community, it was a new build, it's not a fortress, and my neighbours and I havent been a victim of crime in the years I have been here
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I can´t think of anything worse than to live in a gated community. My husband´s brother lives in one in Estopona. Beautiful apartment but just hate the whole area. I am sure there must be some nice parts but it is just too busy for me.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I can´t think of anything worse than to live in a gated community. My husband´s brother lives in one in Estopona. Beautiful apartment but just hate the whole area. I am sure there must be some nice parts but it is just too busy for me.
Me neither... but each to their own... I guess it leaves more open space for the rest of us!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

The community costs for gated communities are sky high as well. Many places I know the owners are paying about 1500 euros a year per property, for the security and upkeep of the resort.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

And then you have a committee which tells you what you can do and what you can´t!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Val W
The community costs for gated communities are sky high as well. Many places I know the owners are paying about 1500 euros a year per property, for the security and upkeep of the resort.
That doesnt sound very high to me. I pay more than that in community fees in London. Our community consists of a hallway and two lights!

I wouldnt choose a gated community either, I can't think of any worse situation then feeling you have to lock yourself aways from the rest of society

But still, I guess people have the right to choose. For me, crime is definitely not an issue in Spain. You can find surveys that show Spain has the lowest crime rate in Europe. Althought it is definitely worse in tourist areas and areas where lots of foreigners live.

I saw on the news today that one of the villages in Andalucia was making their 2 policeman unemplyed because there has only been one criminal offense in 30 years! And that was by a hungry illegal immigrant who took a charity collection tin. This is a village of only 3,000 people though.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Cazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to allCazzy1 is a name known to all

We live an hour Inland from Malaga in a small village, we have no crime or police, we get broadband, it is quiet and friendly only 200 houses, no gated communities. We have free sports facilities, many free courses and coach trips. You can rent a house with a pool here for around 500 euros a month. Not a great place to be if you are a party animal!!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

peaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nicepeaeuropa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Val W
That is correct yes, but with that 1500 euros you also get a level of safety and the upkeep of a nice neighborhood doesn't come for free. It al depends on what you want out of life :-)

I will go and have a look "down there" and see what its all about, thanks for all replies!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
And then you have a committee which tells you what you can do and what you can´t!

Well, I do honestly not think that is a bad idea, imagine living in an area with no rules at all. I've lived in a very nice gated community before and it's a pleasure to be in a nice clean area with no old cars dumped at the corner etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.