Living with my Spanish wife in Spain

Living with my Spanish wife in Spain

Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Jimsowter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living with my Spanish wife in Spain

Hi there,

New to the forums, and new to Spain.

Recently both my wife, who is a Spanish national, and I decided to move to Spain with our son.

As I am British and an EU citizen (currently) we thought the move would be quite simple. However I cannot find the right information anywhere, and even when my wife phones government offices here the procedures seem as clear as mud.

What I would like to know is, from anyone in a similar situation, what types of registration I need, as multiple websites are contradictive.

Do I need both a NIE and to register for residency (even though my wife has and is entitled to residency), or do I simply require a NIE?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 1:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living with my Spanish wife in Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 12th 2016, 2:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimsowter
Hi there,

Recently both my wife, who is a Spanish national, and I decided to move to Spain with our son.

As I am British and an EU citizen (currently) we thought the move would be quite simple. However I cannot find the right information anywhere, and even when my wife phones government offices here the procedures seem as clear as mud.

What I would like to know is, from anyone in a similar situation, what types of registration I need, as multiple websites are contradictive.

Do I need both a NIE and to register for residency (even though my wife has and is entitled to residency), or do I simply require a NIE?

You would be best to get both NIE and residencia, who knows just what might happen once Brexit starts.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 3:23 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

You will need an NIE, your wife (presumable) already has her DNI so she's covered.

You then need to sign on the list of foreigners (sometimes wrongly called 'residencia' - which could be what's confusing you).

As the spouse of a Spanish national, you can then decide to do additional things should you wish but the above is all you will need. (health insurance, SS etc.)
Old Dec 12th 2016, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You will need an NIE, your wife (presumable) already has her DNI so she's covered.

You then need to sign on the list of foreigners (sometimes wrongly called 'residencia' - which could be what's confusing you).

As the spouse of a Spanish national, you can then decide to do additional things should you wish but the above is all you will need. (health insurance, SS etc.)
Thanks for your reply.

It is the residencia that is confusing me the most, and specifically the requirements for applying for it. It seems clearly aimed at people, or families, that wholly comprise of people from outside of Spain. As part of it, it states that you have to show private health insurance and that I have adequate means to support myself.

Some information I have read states that due to being married to a Spanish citizen, residency is extended to me. However, I can't find any information on how to register as the spouse of a Spanish citizen, or if I do indeed need to do this.

One thing is clear at the moment, and it is that I will need to get my NIE (which has been a bit of a pain to book an appointment with the Oficina de Extranjeros in Tarragona) and then take it from there.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Yes you will need an NIE, which is not difficult to get and then you will need to register at the Foreigner's Office in the local Police Stattion ( normally done online to get an appointment, not possible to just turn-up any more and join the queue !
You must be living in Spain to get resident status

Next question is : "Where did you get married ?". If outside of Spain you will need to register the marriage in the Spanish Civil Register.Will need translated documents , done by an official translator.

When done ( if necessary ) still have to go through the hoops of proving sufficient income, not a significant amount as basically set by level of minimum salary but each region has its own interpretation and also will need valid medical cover - so you do not become a "Burden on the State"

Next worthwhile getting a good "Gestor" to help you, they know the ropes and can lead you through the process. It is money well-spent.

Any documents you sign should be counter-signed by your Spanish wife, your signature on its own is not sufficient.

Be patient
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Next question is : "Where did you get married ?". If outside of Spain you will need to register the marriage in the Spanish Civil Register.Will need translated documents , done by an official translator.)
We were married in the UK.

I guess I will have to add registering the marriage, as another task
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, you should start there .
Go with my recommendation of a good gestor.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Googled your question in Spanish :

Maybe your wife would like to read / watch this link :

Matrimonio entre un español y un extranjero. Requisitos y trámite. - Parainmigrantes.info